Thread: inconstant constants

This might make interesting reading:

http://www.sheldrake.org/experiments/constants/

Can any of the illuminati offer a way of distinguishing between a real drift in physical constants and simple evolution of experimental technique? The cyclic nature of the value of c that Sheldrake mentions on this page, for example, seems rather hard to explain, but does it need explaining at all? One thought occurs to me; if c varies across finite volumes of space, then you'd see refraction effects there...if the volume is big enough or the difference in c is great enough, then maybe you'd be able to detect significant effects..."gravitational" lensing without intervening galaxies?

His research on ESP in dogs is more fun. Pretty convincing for those of us who've had the experience with our own pets.

At the risk of going straight off topic, as far as Sheldrake and dogs are concerned, I don't think the case has been made.

The theory of dogs running to the window when their owners decide to return home (as opposed to actually arriving) was tested by placing cameras in a house with a dog, while the owner was out. One could be impressed by the fact that the dog did run to the window within a minute of the time the owner decided to return home. But the dog also ran to the window on several other occasions while the owner was out.

Okay, one test isn't a trend, but it was a poor start for the theory.

I read the link, I like that guy! He thinks like me, but he knows how to express it in words. Thanks for the link.

Dan

Sheldrake's experiment is a good one. I actually proposed it to my son, as a high school science project. He wasn't interested. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]