Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 492

Thread: films of 2010

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,080
    Oh! I do so hope there's a slew of new romantic comedies where a woman and a man who start off hating each other end up falling in love! Bonus if one or both of them are suppose to marry someone else, but change their mind in a touching and last-minute act!

    ...grrr. Tara loves those freak'n movies. They're all the exact same freak'n thing. She had us watch "The Ugly Truth" last week. Sure it had some "funny" parts. They all do. But three seconds into the film, you knew exactly how it was going to end. STOP MAKING THEM! *cries*


    . . . sorry. Lost control there for a minute. I don't know what's worse though; that they keep making these cookie cutter movies, or that Tara keeps liking them.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    It's funny; I completely forgot Deathly Hallows pt 1 was coming out this year. I think I deliberately purged it from my mind. I was a rabid fan back in the 90s. but by now I'm just Pottered out. And I would have preferred a single, streamlined movie to a two-year slog.
    Really? I wish they'd started splitting them in half about three books ago. There's a lot of important information just gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Actually, my comment about those 2010 films were just about the films in the OP's list. I assume that is a list of SF/action-adventure/horror films for the year, not everything for 2010. Since right off the start I hate horror movies, or anything close, that cuts down a lot from any list I have. But I suspect there will be many other films in 2010, and some of those might even be good.
    Yeah, I was broadening a bit.

    I thought there were a fair number of good films in 2009, but most of them were not in the SF/action-adventure/horror genre. In that genre, the only movies I can remember from 2009 that I saw and liked were Up! (and I assume most will disagree on sticking it in this category) and Avatar, and Star Trek was "OK" (I'll admit, I might be forgetting something).
    I liked Up a great deal, Avatar just enough to give it a positive review, and Star Trek I didn't bother with. I enjoyed Public Enemies, Sherlock Holmes, Watchmen, and Coraline. Princess and the Frog was better than I'd expected but not as good as I hoped. Mostly, though, I spent the year underwhelmed, and there's terribly little I feel the need to catch up on, the way I felt last January.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Actually, my comment about those 2010 films were just about the films in the OP's list. I assume that is a list of SF/action-adventure/horror films for the year, not everything for 2010. Since right off the start I hate horror movies, or anything close, that cuts down a lot from any list I have. But I suspect there will be many other films in 2010, and some of those might even be good.

    I thought there were a fair number of good films in 2009, but most of them were not in the SF/action-adventure/horror genre. In that genre, the only movies I can remember from 2009 that I saw and liked were Up! (and I assume most will disagree on sticking it in this category) and Avatar, and Star Trek was "OK" (I'll admit, I might be forgetting something).
    I'm sure there are a whole bunch of small flicks due in 2010, but I don't think they have confirmed dates yet, so I don't know what they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Really? I wish they'd started splitting them in half about three books ago. There's a lot of important information just gone.
    That's what the books are for. The movies are "readings from the novels."

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,743
    Movies are supposed to miss out on information important to the plot, in such a way that character's actions make less sense?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    That's what the books are for. The movies are "readings from the novels."
    Yeah, and I don't sweat the minor details. However, the attitude toward house elves is what brings out important information in the last book, and the movies haven't set it up at all well. The entire Percy Weasley subplot is gone. And so forth.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, and I don't sweat the minor details. However, the attitude toward house elves is what brings out important information in the last book, and the movies haven't set it up at all well. The entire Percy Weasley subplot is gone. And so forth.
    The whole house elves thing is something that really bugs Tara too (she's a die-hard Potter fan). To be honest, I haven't hated the movies, but I've lost interest. In fact, we just watched the newest one over the weekend. I missed most of it because I just couldn't pay attention -- good or not, I just didn't care.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,556
    Some other ones I missed:

    Rapunzel: OK, so "The Princess and the Frog" was middling/forgettable (Kieth David notwithstanding), but this one looks like Disney's return to "Beauty and the Beast" mode. If so they have a lot to live up to. The concept art is stunning so far, but that says nothing about the quality of the story.

    Never Let Me Go: Who knew that Kazuo Ishiguro would write a novel about human cloning? Well he did, and now there's a movie of it starring Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan. Worth it just to see Carey act circles around Keira.

    The Runaways: If the thought of Dakota Fanning sexing it up as "Runaways" singer Cherie Currie doesn't disturb you (it does me), then this flick might be interesting.

    The Rum Diary: You're Johnny Depp. A few years back you were a maverick outsider starring in audience-scattering Hunter S Thompson biopics. Now you have a number of box office hits under your belt and Hollywood is actually paying you serious attention. So you go and star in another Hunter S Thompson adaptation. Go figure.

    Chloe: Now known as "that movie Liam was working on when his wife died", this movie is directed by that populist entertainer Atom Egoyan (I kid!). Looks fairly conventional by Egoyan's extradimensional standards, but advance buzz has not been good.

    The Last Airbender: Does anyone still have faith in M Night Shamalyan anymore? I know next to nothing about the manga this is based on, but it looks disturbingly like Dragonball. Still, M Night gets the benefit of my doubt, if not necessarily my patronage.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The Last Airbender: Does anyone still have faith in M Night Shamalyan anymore? I know next to nothing about the manga this is based on, but it looks disturbingly like Dragonball. Still, M Night gets the benefit of my doubt, if not necessarily my patronage.
    It's not based on manga. It's based on a made-for-Nickelodeon animated series in the general style of manga/anime. It's pretty good, though I've never been inclined to go out of my way to watch it. As for Shyamalan, well, I liked Unbreakable . . . .
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,387
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The Rum Diary: You're Johnny Depp. A few years back you were a maverick outsider starring in audience-scattering Hunter S Thompson biopics. Now you have a number of box office hits under your belt and Hollywood is actually paying you serious attention. So you go and star in another Hunter S Thompson adaptation. Go figure.
    His career has been a conscious choice of different and unusual roles to avoid getting pigeonholed after 21 Jump Street, why should he change from them just because he's made a series of movies that's getting even closer to pigeonholing him than 21 did?
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    9,043
    Random comments...

    Star Trek: I really was not interested in seeing the reinvention of the franchise, and maybe never would, but guess which dvd I got for Christmas?

    Anaconda: C'mon, how could you not like a JLo film?

    Romantic comedies: Looks like first up is Leap Year. This one appeals to me for two reasons, Amy Adams (very appealing) and it's shot in Ireland with the promise of lots of Irish scenery (also very appealing). The plot I can always ignore.

    The Potter films: But, Gillian, you have to lose some minor details - like motivation, character development, and impactful subplots - if you want to show the Quidditch match in its full glory.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The Potter films: But, Gillian, you have to lose some minor details - like motivation, character development, and impactful subplots - if you want to show the Quidditch match in its full glory.
    Not much quidditch to be had in this one!
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    The whole house elves thing is something that really bugs Tara too (she's a die-hard Potter fan). To be honest, I haven't hated the movies, but I've lost interest. In fact, we just watched the newest one over the weekend. I missed most of it because I just couldn't pay attention -- good or not, I just didn't care.
    The kids had it on twice back to back over the weekend, and I figured I must have missed a bundle of stuff the first time through, since it seemed so lightweight and disjointed, but second time through I quickly realised that even the stuff I had missed the first time wasn't worth worrying about ... and having the movie named after the most barely developed sub-plot I have seen in a long time was almost laughable.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The Last Airbender: Does anyone still have faith in M Night Shamalyan anymore? I know next to nothing about the manga this is based on, but it looks disturbingly like Dragonball. Still, M Night gets the benefit of my doubt, if not necessarily my patronage.
    As with the other Avatar movie, I really wanted to like this one.

    But really - there's a lot of things I liked in the (Nickelodeon - nothing Japanese involved!) cartoon that won't be in the movie. A multi-ethnic cast, for one, and properly thought out lampshade hangings on most common clichés. The original cartoon tries really hard to be non-stereotypical and have a well-thought out story and universe. I just can't see this happen in the movie.

    So... I think I'll have to pass on it.


  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,556
    For those of you who have complained that this list is too blockbuster-centric, AICN have posted a Sundance preview that should address the balance somewhat. This is a list of the ones that caught my eye. The complete list is here

    Double Take: Earns a slot on my "What the living hell..." list. A strange flick that I can't even be sure I truly understand, it appears to be a narrative edit of old TV and film footage that "casts" Alfred Hitchcock as a paranoid history professor who meets his own double. You can get some idea of what it's like by watching This trailer, and this clip, though I doubt they'll help.

    Howl: A film about Alan Ginsburg's obscenity trial starring John Hamm from Mad Men and one of my favourite actors, David Strathairn.

    Hesher: A movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Natalie Portman about an anarchist who takes up with a tragic family.

    Please Give: A film by director Nicole Holofcener, who a while back made a film I still haven't seen called Lovely and Amazing, which got rapturous notices. This is about a couple who make a deal with an old woman that they can get her apartment when she dies.

    Enter the Void: A film from Irreversible's Gaspar Noe, this is about a ghost who swears to protect his still-living sister. Sounds great.

    Splice: Directed by Canadian Vincenzo Natali, who made the superb no-budget scifi hit Cube, this Frankenstein rework looks... weird. At least judging by this clip, but it's got the lovely Sarah Polley in it.

    Welcome To The Rileys: Kristin Stewart as an underage hooker in New Orleans. James Gandalfini and Melissa Leo as a berieved couple.

    Jack Goes Boating: Phillip Seymour Hoffman directs himself in a play adaptation about two couples who meet up.

    Buried: Ryan Reynolds is the only cast member of this movie about a guy buried alive. Set entirely in his coffin.

    The Perfect Host: David Hyde Pierce and Helen Reddy(!) in a thriller about a robber who turns up at a dinner party. Sounds very Rope-y.

    The Killer Inside Me: Michael Winterbottom directs a movie about a guy investigating a murder he may have committed. Winterbottom long ago usruped Alan Parker's crown as "director of absolutely anything", and this looks like yet another radical left turn (he's made so many his career is a double helix)

    A Film Unfinished: A while back the Nazis made a documentary about the Warsaw Ghetto. But never finished it. This is a documentary about the making of that documentary.

    Nowhere Boy: Biopic of John Lennon (too soon?) Trailer looked good.

    Casino Jack: Doc about Jack Abramoff from the guys who made Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    7,911
    Interesting list, Parallaxicality.

    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Buried: Ryan Reynolds is the only cast member of this movie about a guy buried alive. Set entirely in his coffin.
    If he's the only cast member, then presumably he's not rescued at the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Nowhere Boy: Biopic of John Lennon (too soon?) Trailer looked good.
    Too soon? He's been dead for almost 30 years.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Cemetery Junction: Most people will be lining up to see this because it's made by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, the guys behind the UK Office.
    Named after this junction in Gervais's hometome of Reading.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Too soon? He's been dead for almost 30 years.
    Joke?

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    7,911
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Joke?

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    A Film Unfinished: A while back the Nazis made a documentary about the Warsaw Ghetto. But never finished it. This is a documentary about the making of that documentary.
    See, now, that I find fascinating. It will almost certainly be horrifying, and it will certainly be depressing, but not enough people watch documentaries unless they involve penguins or Michael Moore.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    See, now, that I find fascinating. It will almost certainly be horrifying, and it will certainly be depressing, but not enough people watch documentaries unless they involve penguins or Michael Moore.
    Or the font Helvetica.

    Okay, so maybe a whole of people besides me and some other graphic designers didn't watch that one.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherc View Post
    Or the font Helvetica.

    Okay, so maybe a whole of people besides me and some other graphic designers didn't watch that one.
    I watched it. It started with "H."
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    ...grrr. Tara loves those freak'n movies. They're all the exact same freak'n thing. She had us watch "The Ugly Truth" last week. Sure it had some "funny" parts. They all do. But three seconds into the film, you knew exactly how it was going to end. STOP MAKING THEM! *cries*
    My wife's the same way. We redboxed that particular cookie a couple weeks ago - I described the entire plot in some detail just a few minutes into the movie, greatly upsetting the wife. I don't know how she couldn't have seen the inevitable chain of "funny" events coming from a mile away just as easily as I did. I swear women must completely shut their minds off to be able to enjoy the same story portrayed by different actors until the end of time. It ain't Shakespeare.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by NGCHunter View Post
    I swear women must completely shut their minds off to be able to enjoy the same story portrayed by different actors until the end of time.
    But I'm supposed to shut off my mind for action movies?

    Not that I had the slightest interest in that particular movie. I'm just saying.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    But I'm supposed to shut off my mind for action movies?

    Not that I had the slightest interest in that particular movie. I'm just saying.
    Hey! In my personal defense of my love of (some, mostly 80's/early 90's, few 'modern') action movies, I don't shut my brain off!


    . . . that would imply that it had been 'on' at some point prior to watching.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,387
    Quote Originally Posted by NGCHunter View Post
    It ain't Shakespeare.
    Funny. Last time I checked Shakespeare, being theater plays, is the same story portrayed by different actors until the end of time.

    They even tell you which one of them at the entrance so you won't have to guess.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    But I'm supposed to shut off my mind for action movies?

    Not that I had the slightest interest in that particular movie. I'm just saying.
    Yes, that's true, and to be consistent I must say that brain-dead action films, each identical to its predecessor, are wearing really thin on me. The only appeal left for me are truly novel special effects. I thought the Arnie CGI in T4 was amazing and worth the $1 rental, but I really can't say I cared for the rest of the film. I guess I'd be just as satisfied by a ticket to SIGgraph.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Funny. Last time I checked Shakespeare, being theater plays, is the same story portrayed by different actors until the end of time.

    They even tell you which one of them at the entrance so you won't have to guess.
    What I was trying to say is that the story being told over and over in the romantic comedy genre isn't "Shakespeare quality." If it were, maybe it would worth repeated watching over and over with slightly different takes. Perhaps in a few hundred years someone will unearth the last surviving romantic comedy disc, mistake it for the work of a genius, foist that belief upon future society at large, and the cycle can repeat.
    Last edited by NGCHunter; 2010-Jan-15 at 10:51 PM.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,819
    Another version of Dune is in the works according to IMDB, but there's almost nothing about it, or even whether it's big-screen or straight-to-video; hope this isn't another Dieter.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,556
    It's going to be big screen, but not out this year. They've only just "cast" the director, who was the guy who did "Taken". He says he wants to make the film pacier and "more modern" than the Lynch version, whatever that means.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by NGCHunter View Post
    What I was trying to say is that the story being told over and over in the romantic comedy genre isn't "Shakespeare quality." If it were, maybe it would worth repeated watching over and over with slightly different takes. Perhaps in a few hundred years someone will unearth the last surviving romantic comedy disc, mistake it for the work of a genius, foist that belief upon future society at large, and the cycle can repeat.
    You've never read some of the comedies, I can tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    It's going to be big screen, but not out this year. They've only just "cast" the director, who was the guy who did "Taken". He says he wants to make the film pacier and "more modern" than the Lynch version, whatever that means.
    That it'll be bad?

    Then again, I like the David Lynch, so what do I know?
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Similar Threads

  1. Where is my promised future? (2010 in reality and 2010 in fiction)
    By Zvezdichko in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 2010-Aug-20, 09:37 AM
  2. Sleeper Films
    By sarongsong in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 2007-Sep-15, 08:44 AM
  3. AFI's top 100 films
    By Palomar in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2007-Jun-23, 11:27 AM
  4. Old Films.
    By peteshimmon in forum Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2006-Sep-03, 08:04 AM
  5. Top 10 Sci-Fi Films
    By ToSeek in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 2006-May-21, 09:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: