Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	11304 Hello, what beifits is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Live and Let Die View Post
    qClick image for larger version. 

Name:	160604main_deepimpact-composite-map-33[1].jpg 
Views:	264 
    Um, what? It's an annotated image of the comet Tempel 1, taken by the Deep Impact mission.
    Last edited by slang; 2009-Nov-30 at 01:24 PM. Reason: whoops, fixed links

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

It appears to be a cropped version of this image:
    http://deepimpact.umd.edu/gallery/T1_Composite_Map.html

According to Google, "beifits" is a misspelling of "benefits", but still the question doesn't make sense. Could you please clarify?
    (English is not my first language, so please excuse any mistakes and unintended ambiguities.)

If you're asking how we benefit from such ventures, I would say that learning the composition of such things have taught us that our previous thoughts on how to deflect such if they take aim on Earth need some serious revision.

A post like the OP is kind of like a Rorschach. You never know who's going to read what into it.

Live and Let Die: Can you please clarify your question or restate it?
    Last edited by SolusLupus; 2009-Dec-19 at 04:32 AM.

The timer is running on the "put up or shut up" notice.

It's only been a couple of hours.

My money is on the question being related to the area with the arrows pointing at it. Specifically the way that it looks like a gray fill in place of any real image data.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    My money is on the question being related to the area with the arrows pointing at it. Specifically the way that it looks like a gray fill in place of any real image data.
    The source of the image, from NASA.l

Arrows a and b point to large, smooth regions. The impact site is indicated by the third large arrow. Small grouped arrows highlight a scarp (a cliff or steep slope along the edge of a plateau) that is bright due to illumination angle. They show a smooth area to be elevated above the extremely rough terrain. The white scale bar in the lower right represents 1 km across the surface of the comet nucleus. The two directional arrows (vectors) in the upper right point to the Sun and Celestial North.

Photo Credit: NASA/UM M. F. A'Hearn et al., Science 310, 258 (2005); published online 8 September 2005 (10.1126/science.1118923). Reprinted with permission from AAAS.

Amazing image!

The description makes it sound like the smooth areas are really there and not some sort of data dropout. If that's the case, did this comet get grazed by another body? Or is it some liquid that welled up from inside and refroze on the surface?

As for our new friend, I'm sure he/she posted the image thinking that the evil NASA must have ineptly Photoshopped out the alien bases on the comet. I know whenever *I* want to cover up an alien base in a picture, I just grab the smudge tool and blindly smudge away. Sure, I could use the clone stamp and make the picture look passable, but why take the extra half-minute? Then I like to draw big arrows to the part of the picture I've mangled, because I'm actually a whistleblower.

Oh, but I'm getting way ahead of myself. I might be all wrong about our new friend. But 15 quatloos says I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
    Amazing image!

The description makes it sound like the smooth areas are really there and not some sort of data dropout. If that's the case, did this comet get grazed by another body? Or is it some liquid that welled up from inside and refroze on the surface?

As for our new friend, I'm sure he/she posted the image thinking that the evil NASA must have ineptly Photoshopped out the alien bases on the comet. I know whenever *I* want to cover up an alien base in a picture, I just grab the smudge tool and blindly smudge away. Sure, I could use the clone stamp and make the picture look passable, but why take the extra half-minute? Then I like to draw big arrows to the part of the picture I've mangled, because I'm actually a whistleblower.

Oh, but I'm getting way ahead of myself. I might be all wrong about our new friend. But 15 quatloos says I'm not.
    No sucker bets.

OK, I think we've had enough discussion about Live and Let Die's possible intent.

Live and Let Die - It would be very helpful for you to explain yourself further. Is this just a question, or are you proposing some conspiracy (you posted in the Conspiracy Theory forum)?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If this one corks in the Conspiracy forum can we move it to Science? That spot has me intrigued.

I gess the real point is the accuracy of the whole classification for space exploration is the finding plus engageing the ans the surching the ground gained by servallance of the comet, tracking the reply of the question. True I don't know how to spell. No conspeicy it look like NASA pain staking put data gathering prob on the comet. If it was exsosting, did they grow fateage. The computer is thursty for info, its cold up their, or out their. Hunger for new herizons yes, thearst of the adventure true.

I gess the real point is the accuracy of the whole classification for space exploration is the finding plus engageing the ans the surching the ground gained by servallance of the comet, tracking the reply of the question. True I don't know how to spell. No conspeicy it look like NASA pain staking put data gathering prob on the comet. If it was exsosting, did they grow fateage. The computer is thursty for info, its cold up their, or out their. Hunger for new herizons yes, thearst of the adventure true.
    Are you questioning the benefit of surveying objects like Tempel 1? If such missions cannot be accurately termed "space exploration," what do you propose they be called instead? Are you proposing that Deep Impact was a waste of resources?

I apologize if I'm way off base, but your posts are difficult to decipher.

If it was exsosting, did they grow fateage.
    Yes! Er... No.

I don't know.

I don't even know what you asked. Try harder to communicate.

Thanks.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

True I don't know how to spell.
    I assume English isn't your native language? I'd suggest using a spell checker. There is a lot it won't catch (I'm having great difficulty understanding your posts), but it would help.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble making sense of what you're saying.

Live and Let Die,

If English is not your first language, it could be helpful to us to know what
    your first language is. If English is your first language, it could be helpful
    to us to know how old you are. English is my first language and the only
    one I'm good at; I'm 56 years old.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Observation

I showed my wife who is an expert in teaching English this tread. She did her dissertation on why and how spelling mistakes occur and how from the pattern of mistakes you can determine the best way to correct it.

She noted that Live and let die's spelling doesn't fit any known pattern of mistakes, ie it's someone trying to act like they cannot spell.

Just a comment

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I showed my wife who is an expert in teaching English this tread. She did her dissertation on why and how spelling mistakes occur and how from the pattern of mistakes you can determine the best way to correct it.

She noted that Live and let die's spelling doesn't fit any known pattern of mistakes, ie it's someone trying to act like they cannot spell.

Just a comment
    That was certainly my subjective impression. I suspect the person is pulling everyone's collective leg.

Fingers going too fast to hit the "h"?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just a comment
    I teach English and this was my impression too.

There does seem to be a bit of a pattern in spelling things phonetically (ie. "surching" vs. "searching", "thursty" vs. "thirsty"). I'm not sure what this would imply, but I thought it'd be interesting to note on top of what Hans's wife has determined.

If I can just interject, the problem I had with the post was not the spelling, which I could muddle through. Live and Let Die, could you rephrase using simpler sentences? Your sentence structure is a little . . . erratic.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

qClick image for larger version. 

Name:	160604main_deepimpact-composite-map-33[1].jpg 
Views:	264 
    Contrary to how people think, the earth has limited resources a few of which are well on thier way to depletion.

So the anser to your questions is a question.

Where -else- are you going to mine for minerals once they are totaly depleted.

In the Landfills of course.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
    Amazing image!

20 quatloos on the new-comer!

Thirty quatloos against the new comer. Contest by multiple elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    In the Landfills of course.
    And junkyards. It's amazing how much goes to waste right now.