Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NASA FAQ: 2012: [...] Why the World Won't End?

NASA FAQ: 2012: [...] Why the World Won't End?

Darn it. NASA has to spend real money refuting this nonsense instead of doing spaceflight.

NASA Frequently Asked Questions: 2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End?

Remember the Y2K scare? It came and went without much of a whimper because of adequate planning and analysis of the situation. Impressive movie special effects aside, Dec. 21, 2012, won't be the end of the world as we know. It will, however, be another winter solstice.

Much like Y2K, 2012 has been analyzed and the science of the end of the Earth thoroughly studied. Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, the science behind the end of the world quickly unravels when pinned down to the 2012 timeline. Below, NASA Scientists answer several questions that we're frequently asked regarding 2012.

Question (Q): Are there any threats to the Earth in 2012? Many Internet websites say the world will end in December 2012.
    Answer (A): Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.
    And so on.

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
    Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
    Q: Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
    Q: Is there a planet or brown dwarf called Nibiru or Planet X or Eris that is approaching the Earth and threatening our planet with widespread destruction?
    Q: What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?
    Q: Is the Earth in danger of being hit by a meteor in 2012?
    Q: How do NASA scientists feel about claims of pending doomsday?
    See the answers there.

Oh, the last Q&A is too good too pithy not to quote:

Q: How do NASA scientists feel about claims of pending doomsday?
    A: For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact. There is no credible evidence for any of the assertions made in support of unusual events taking place in December 2012.
    ===

Edit:

This wasn't meant to be a topic hosting claims of unsupportable predictions for 2012, but it has been latched onto by some fans of misinformation. So, I'll take this second opportunity to enhance the topic with some valuable information up front.

Here are some articles about the many aspects of the year 2012 predictions, and a long, long list of some BAUT Forum topics that have addressed the topic:

1. 2003 no, 2012 si
    2. 2012
    3. End of Mayan Calendar
    4. Pole shift / Planetary alignment 2012?
    5. 2012 alignment question
    6. about the Mayan 2012 item
    7. 2012 Debunking?
    8. Possible asteroid impact in 2012?
    9. 2012 asteroid?
    10. We don't have to worry about 2012!
    11. More on 2012 from India Daily
    12. 2012 Completion of conspiracy?
    13. Here's what's REALLY going to happen in 2012...
    14. crop circles, Planet X and 2012
    15. Planet X, crop circles and 2012 cataclysma
    16. According to the Mayans, what will happen on 23rd Dec. 2012?
    17. More 2012 Nonsense
    18. NEO 2012?
    19. Dangerous NEO in 2012?
    20. Christmas 2012
    21. 2012 mayan calender end of world
    22. Regarding the supposed polar shift/new ice age in 2012
    23. New 2012 threat?
    24. 2012 look at this thing on the sun
    25. Russian Expert Predicts Global Cooling from 2012
    26. Pole shift idea origins
    27. Dec 20 2012
    28. 2012 Stuff
    29. No reply previous question
    30. Horizon Project-New End of World Scare?
    31. Date: December 21st 2012
    32. Earth passing thru Galactic center in 2012 - didn't that already happen?
    33. 2012: What do you think well happen (if anything)
    34. So what will we see in 2012?
    35. Galactic Tsunami?
    36. Plane of the ecliptic of the galaxy?
    37. Earth's Magnetic Field & 2012
    38. 2012?
    39. Any truth to this?
    40. How can the sun be aligned with Galactic centre?
    41. the whole 2012 poles flip nonsense
    42. Planet X Official Advertisement
    43. What year are we in
    44. Quick question about the sun
    45. Galactic Alignment
    46. Books of 2012! -
    47. 2007 = 2012
    48. Return of Planet X By Rand
    49. Don Alejandro - Mayan Elder.
    50. Toutatis 4179: 2012?
    51. Galactic Alignment in 2012 ?
    52. Solar Storms
    53. A real prediction!
    54. NIBURU - Brown Dwarf, The DESTROYER
    55. 2012 Galactic Alignment
    56. Not 2012 again! But I cant help it~
    57. New evidence for 2012 TEOTWAWKI!!!
    58. this may be a silly question but...
    59. Just to know if this is true
    60. Just Wondering...
    61. Planet X/Nibiru, is it real?
    62. Youv heard this a million times.
    63. Nibaru or Planet X
    64. Mayan calendar
    65. 2012 Article?
    66. can i say something please on planet x
    67. Nibiru
    68. The growing earth.... :P
    69. Our Solar System's Eclipse of the Galactic Plane on Dec 21, 2012?
    70. Something scaring the hell out of me....
    71. It's Only the end of the World AGAIN!!! (Woo Woo Alert)
    72. 2021 Doomsday
    73. is it just me or is the milky way brighter..?
    74. Polar Shift in 2012?
    75. I would like to ask about Nubiru stuff...
    76. Bit behind the times, my appologies...
    77. the "pole shift thing"
    78. All the Truth about 2012
    79. Confused about 2012 (yes, another one!)
    80. Another paranoia mind due to 2012
    81. novelty theory
    82. Possibility of Pole Shift
    83. 2012 Vectors
    84. Nibiru Question
    85. Odd things floating on google sky
    86. 2012 end of the world?
    87. 2012 and Solar Storms?
    88. Nibiru
    89. Sun polar shift weirdness.
    90. Question? [2012]
    91. December 21st 2012
    92. 2012 is giving me a Headache
    93. UN Agenda 21 and the coming pole reversal scare
    94. Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe
    95. Is there even something to this?
    96. We're not the only ones fighting 2012 nonsense
    97. True or not?
    98. NASA FAQ: 2012: [...] Why the World Won't End?
    Last edited by 01101001; 2009-Nov-14 at 12:39 AM.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

I think that this one will be the first of many, now whit the movie fueling the whole thing up will just make 1.00000 more people scared and some of them I think will just go out to youtube and type in ''2012 end of the world'' and get the list of nonsense up to scare them even more.

I feel sorry for NASA.

If you ask my friends, they will all say i'm not religious or believe in anything else than what is scientifically proven. However, from what i've heard, the Mayans have pridicted december 21th 2012 as the day Earth seizes to exist, and if i remember it correctly, i guess Nostradamus also predicted this date. However, from the link you provided 01101001, i guess it was the Sumerians who made this prediction, if not all three of them.

Is the mayan prediction nothing but the end of a calender?

As far as i know, the origin of the prediction was more than this - which i must say doesn't worry me at all if there is nothing else in it.

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
    A: The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012. Then these two fables were linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 -- hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.
    If in case several famous people have prediction 2012 as the end of the world, could there actually be some scientifically explanation to this? One of the most reasonable solutions to this could be that the Sumerians, Mayans and Nostradamus were actually better informed than what we know of today. Sometimes we seem to underestimate history and science back then, just because we don't see abundant information stating the truth. For instance, 100 years ago everybody just knew Columbus was the first european in america - now we know he was the informer of the existance of the new world that encouraged europeans to go there. But it was in fact the vikings who first found it, if not somebody else.

My point on this is that maybe all of these three 'groups' have seen an astroid several times, used more skilled mathematics/astronomy than we knew they could handle, and found the same day/year for the year of collision with Earth.

As you probably have read, we stille lack to discover around 10-20% af all PHAs, maybe this astroid is one of them.

What do you think - PLAUSIBLE?

NOT PLAUSIBLE. Anything large enough to "end the world" would HAVE to have been noticed a long time ago, either via its effects on planets' orbits or by visual evidence.

For what it's worth, I remember some sort of Time-Life book commercial years and years ago (decades even?) that mentioned the Mayan "end of the world" prediction. This was way before any of the Planet X/"Nibiru" nonsense of 2003. I don't know where the notion of any end of the world "prophecy" from the Mayans came from. I always thought it was someone saying, "Hey, their calander ENDS on Dec 21, 2012, and there's NO NEW CALENDER, zOMG!" and interpreted it as the Mayans somehow "knowing" time would end.

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants

http://2012hoax.org

The problem is that by trying to refute as many claims about 2012 as possible, NASA has created a mess that is easy to misunderstand.

Nibiru was originally the name Zecharia Sitchin used for a tenth planet that was supposedly known to the Ancient Sumerians. He did not say anything about a collision.

Then there was the Planet X craze in 2003 - the old Bad Astronomy site has a page about it:
    http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/planetx/index.html
    They picked Sitchin's name and ran with it.

When the end of the world didn't came in 2003, they tied it with another claim that had run for some time then - the end of the longest cycle of the Mayan calendar in 2012. Originally, it wasn't about a doomsday event, but a New Age claim about "a new age of consciousness", like the Age of the Aquarius.

Nostradamus gets thrown in with the lot to give more weight. AFAIK, he hasn't predicted anything about 2012. As you may know, most of his "prophecies" are very unclear and everyone can interpret them in the way they want.
    (English is not my first language, so please excuse any mistakes and unintended ambiguities.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sporally View Post
    If you ask my friends, they will all say i'm not religious
    Superstitious maybe? Gullible, even? (I hope that isn't considered ad hominem)

However, from what i've heard, the Mayans have pridicted december 21th 2012 as the day Earth seizes to exist
    No. Some interpretations suggest their calendar would run out some time around there. So what, they would start another calendar. Other interpretations are that their calendar continues for billions of years.

i guess Nostradamus also predicted this date
    No. Nostradamus didn't predict anything. Some people have "postdicted" stuff based on his vague words.

PLAUSIBLE?
    No.

I object to NASA comparing 2012 to Y2k. That trivializes Y2k.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I object to NASA comparing 2012 to Y2k. That trivializes Y2k.
    Actually, NASA's text has been the most non-trivializing treatment of the Y2K bug I've seen for the last month or so. Most people seem to lump the computer stuff together with the apocalyptic, end-of-the-millennium stuff, and dismiss both.

Quote Originally Posted by NASA
    It came and went without much of a whimper because of adequate planning and analysis of the situation.
    (English is not my first language, so please excuse any mistakes and unintended ambiguities.)

Here are the conclusion's from the site www.2012hoax.org

''We have shown that Nostradamus makes no specific prediction for an apocalyptic event in 2012, and that the quatrains of Nostradamus are so vague and ambiguous that they require extensive subjective interpretation, which allows nearly any event to be assigned to one or more of the quatrains, making them useless as "predictions".''

Read the article here http://www.2012hoax.org/nostradamus

The Mayan's

''In conclusion; We have shown that the majority of Mayanist scholars ( as opposed to proponents of Mayanism and the 2012 doomsday ) do not think that the 2012 date relates to a prediction of an apocalypse.''

The article is here http://www.2012hoax.org/mayan-prediction

And for the sumerians I could'nt find a article for but I am pretty sure that they did'nt have a prediction but that Zecharia Sitchin got the whole thing wrong.

Nibiru is not real..

And the conclusion about the whole thing.

''The "2012 doomsday" is a hoax, a fraud, and a con job. It is a cruel and cynical lie being promoted by scammers after money: First they scare people to death that something terrible is going to happen, then they publish books and videos on "how to survive".

These scammers want to sell their books, videos, 'survival kits', and spaces in non-existent "2012 shelters" in Antarctica (although Nancy Lieder has the right idea, and is claiming Hawaii is a 'safe zone'). They also want to divert attention from the fact that they have been wrong so many times before. It's also being pushed by people who are promoting a Hollywood disaster movie due out later this year.

All of the claims of 'predictions' by the Maya, the Aztecs, the Incas, the Hopi, the Chinese (I Ching), Nostradamus, Sir Isaac Newton, Edgar Cayce, Mother Shipton are false: They did not make the claimed predictions. Predictions by others such as José Argüelles, Terrence McKenna, Nancy Leider, Mark Hazelwood and others are contrived pseudo-scientific nonsense.

There will be no sudden 'pole shift', either geographic or magnetic. There will be no 'killer solar flares'. There is no 'Photon Belt'. These are fiction. There will be no 'galactic alignment' or 'planetary alignment' of any kind, and we will not pass through the central plane of the galaxy, and even if these events were to occur, they would not cause any problems for us.''

They've got the date wrong. Time comes to an end at midnight, December 31st of this year.

This is clear, since the calendar I got from my credit union didn't even bother to include January 1st. Maybe NASA needs to call up one of the tellers at my credit union so they can get their facts in order.

Quote Originally Posted by coreybv View Post
    They've got the date wrong. Time comes to an end at midnight, December 31st of this year.

This is clear, since the calendar I got from my credit union didn't even bother to include January 1st. Maybe NASA needs to call up one of the tellers at my credit union so they can get their facts in order.

OMG! That must be it, I must call NASA now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporally View Post
    If in case several famous people have prediction 2012 as the end of the world, could there actually be some scientifically explanation to this?
    Delusion. Greed. Sadism.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

I was putting together a spreadsheet the other day to track my kilometres for work, and I thought I just couldn't be bothered extending the days past 30th June 2010 because it wasn't necessary at the time.

Now I realise it must be because that is the world's end-date.

It's all so clear. I'm precognitive. Goodbye cruel world!

It is a sad thing that NASA seems to be so swamped with emails about this issue that they feel the need to set up this page.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharek View Post
    It is a sad thing that NASA seems to be so swamped with emails about this issue that they feel the need to set up this page.
    I have mixed feelings about that.

It's bad to see the gullibility of so many.

It's good that so many people are going to a valid source of information to get educated on the issue. (at least they aren't turning to Youtube)

I've seen huge numbers of foolish people on facebook asking each other why we are all going to die on the 20th of Dec 2012. Seems they can't even get the date right to the rubbish story.

Still, that place is a breeding ground for low intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I have mixed feelings about that.

It's bad to see the gullibility of so many.

It's good that so many people are going to a valid source of information to get educated on the issue. (at least they aren't turning to Youtube)
    I agree that its good to see folks looking for credible answers, per se. Hopefully, NASA spends only the most minimal amount of time/money on this so as to engage the issue truthfully, and yet not cause another issue unto itself for any such 'Hoax Believers' to latch onto and run with... If NASA is going to keep going with its 'public affairs movement', I guess this is part of what they gotta do (unfortunately). At least the aspects of it related to 'space' anyways...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I've seen huge numbers of foolish people on facebook asking each other why we are all going to die on the 20th of Dec 2012. Seems they can't even get the date right to the rubbish story.

Still, that place is a breeding ground for low intelligence.
    I've seen people on Yahoo Answers asking about whether the world will end on the 12th of December 2012.

People misunderstand this, including NASA.

The mayans 2012 end date is the end of a PHASE of existence. Not the physical end of the world.

A new PHASE will begin though, what that will entail is anybody's guess, but it certainly will begin a new phase.

IMO we are likely looking at a DNA upgrade from our galactic supercomputer center(black hole), a higher resolution and a better world.

Grab your sunglasses the photons are coming!

No you have got it all wrong, the mayan's did'nt predict anything 2012.

For example John Major Jenkins that is an expert on mayan's says that they didnt predict anything here is a qoute from him.

"The trendy doomsday people… should be treated for what they are: under-informed opportunists and alarmists who will move onto other things in 2013,"

And may I ask, do you have any evidence for what you are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by realitydesign View Post
    A new PHASE will begin though, what that will entail is anybody's guess, but it certainly will begin a new phase.
    I suspect this will be like all the other "great events" - the dawning of the age of aquarius, the millennium, and whatever other arbitrary dates various cults and new age cranks have predicted over the centuries.

The mayans 2012 end date is the end of a PHASE of existence. Not the physical end of the world.

IMO we are likely looking at a DNA upgrade from our galactic supercomputer center(black hole), a higher resolution and a better world.

The end of the Mayan calendar is no more meaningful that December 31st on our calendar, or are you going to crawl into a bunker then as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    The end of the Mayan calendar is no more meaningful that December 31st on our calendar, or are you going to crawl into a bunker then as well?
    As you may have noticed I just said there will be no end of the world so therefore no crawling and no bunkers!

Well it aint going to be a ''new phase'' either.

Oh wait it is, people will have learned not to belive these crazy stories.

As you may have noticed I just said there will be no end of the world so therefore no crawling and no bunkers!
    My mistake, you have a whole different brand of unscientific, unsupported, nonsense to peddle.

The point remains, why would you think the end of their calendar is any more significant than the end of ours?

Does that even mean anything? And why would you think it (as in, what evidence do you have)?

Can you show me where the Mayans predicted their own civilisation's rapid decline, and how that tied in with their calendar system? What do you make of that, RD?

And where, in accepted and clear translation, is this 'phase' thing defined? Is it the same 'phase' we go through as every printed calendar 'ends' on the arbitrary date chosen by the printer (or by the computer operating system designers eg 2000, 2038, ...)?

Anybody's guess? My quite well-informed (imnsho) 'guess' is that nothing whatsoever is going to happen as a result of foolishly flawed, misinterpreted and very likely deliberately made up 'information'.

I don't see any recognised Mayan experts selling 2012 books and videos, let alone agreeing with these ridiculous interpretations, and that is a pretty good guide, I think.

Just as a side issue, when did the 2012 thing first surface? - does anyone know how long this has been around and who was first to come up with the end-of-civilisation idea?

Like I said earlier, I remember seeing it in a Time-Life book series commercial, when I was young, on TV. Maybe 20 or more years ago.

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneYouSeek View Post
    Well it aint going to be a ''new phase'' either.

Oh wait it is, people will have learned not to belive these crazy stories.
    Wow, your optimism is even more far-fetched than the stories of doomsayers!

Just in case you're not joking, do be aware that regular BAUTers will recognise this for the unimaginative garbage that it is.

(You are joking, aren't you?)