Darn it. NASA has to spend real money refuting this nonsense instead of doing spaceflight.
NASA Frequently Asked Questions: 2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End?
And so on.Remember the Y2K scare? It came and went without much of a whimper because of adequate planning and analysis of the situation. Impressive movie special effects aside, Dec. 21, 2012, won't be the end of the world as we know. It will, however, be another winter solstice.
Much like Y2K, 2012 has been analyzed and the science of the end of the Earth thoroughly studied. Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, the science behind the end of the world quickly unravels when pinned down to the 2012 timeline. Below, NASA Scientists answer several questions that we're frequently asked regarding 2012.
Question (Q): Are there any threats to the Earth in 2012? Many Internet websites say the world will end in December 2012.
Answer (A): Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.
See the answers there.Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
Q: Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
Q: Is there a planet or brown dwarf called Nibiru or Planet X or Eris that is approaching the Earth and threatening our planet with widespread destruction?
Q: What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?
Q: Is the Earth in danger of being hit by a meteor in 2012?
Q: How do NASA scientists feel about claims of pending doomsday?
Oh, the last Q&A is too good too pithy not to quote:
===Q: How do NASA scientists feel about claims of pending doomsday?
A: For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact. There is no credible evidence for any of the assertions made in support of unusual events taking place in December 2012.
This wasn't meant to be a topic hosting claims of unsupportable predictions for 2012, but it has been latched onto by some fans of misinformation. So, I'll take this second opportunity to enhance the topic with some valuable information up front.
Here are some articles about the many aspects of the year 2012 predictions, and a long, long list of some BAUT Forum topics that have addressed the topic:
- Universe Today: No Doomsday in 2012
- Bad Astronomy Blog: 2012, the year nothing will happen
- Universe Today: 2012: No Planet X
- Universe Today: 2012: Planet X is not Nibiru
- Universe Today: 2012: No Killer Solar Flare
- Universe Today: 2012: No Geomagnetic Reversal
- Universe Today: 2012: No Comet
- Universe Today: Another Voice Against 2012 Mania
- Universe Today: 2012: Combat the Nonsense
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific: Doomsday 2012, the Planet Nibiru, and Cosmophobia (PDF)
- Discovery News: Top 10 Reasons Why the World Won't End in 2012
- NASA FAQ: 2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End?
- 2003 no, 2012 si
- End of Mayan Calendar
- Pole shift / Planetary alignment 2012?
- 2012 alignment question
- about the Mayan 2012 item
- 2012 Debunking?
- Possible asteroid impact in 2012?
- 2012 asteroid?
- We don't have to worry about 2012!
- More on 2012 from India Daily
- 2012 Completion of conspiracy?
- Here's what's REALLY going to happen in 2012...
- crop circles, Planet X and 2012
- Planet X, crop circles and 2012 cataclysma
- According to the Mayans, what will happen on 23rd Dec. 2012?
- More 2012 Nonsense
- NEO 2012?
- Dangerous NEO in 2012?
- Christmas 2012
- 2012 mayan calender end of world
- Regarding the supposed polar shift/new ice age in 2012
- New 2012 threat?
- 2012 look at this thing on the sun
- Russian Expert Predicts Global Cooling from 2012
- Pole shift idea origins
- Dec 20 2012
- 2012 Stuff
- No reply previous question
- Horizon Project-New End of World Scare?
- Date: December 21st 2012
- Earth passing thru Galactic center in 2012 - didn't that already happen?
- 2012: What do you think well happen (if anything)
- So what will we see in 2012?
- Galactic Tsunami?
- Plane of the ecliptic of the galaxy?
- Earth's Magnetic Field & 2012
- Any truth to this?
- How can the sun be aligned with Galactic centre?
- the whole 2012 poles flip nonsense
- Planet X Official Advertisement
- What year are we in
- Quick question about the sun
- Galactic Alignment
- Books of 2012! -
- 2007 = 2012
- Return of Planet X By Rand
- Don Alejandro - Mayan Elder.
- Toutatis 4179: 2012?
- Galactic Alignment in 2012 ?
- Solar Storms
- A real prediction!
- NIBURU - Brown Dwarf, The DESTROYER
- 2012 Galactic Alignment
- Not 2012 again! But I cant help it~
- New evidence for 2012 TEOTWAWKI!!!
- this may be a silly question but...
- Just to know if this is true
- Just Wondering...
- Planet X/Nibiru, is it real?
- Youv heard this a million times.
- Nibaru or Planet X
- Mayan calendar
- 2012 Article?
- can i say something please on planet x
- The growing earth.... :P
- Our Solar System's Eclipse of the Galactic Plane on Dec 21, 2012?
- Something scaring the hell out of me....
- It's Only the end of the World AGAIN!!! (Woo Woo Alert)
- 2021 Doomsday
- is it just me or is the milky way brighter..?
- Polar Shift in 2012?
- I would like to ask about Nubiru stuff...
- Bit behind the times, my appologies...
- the "pole shift thing"
- All the Truth about 2012
- Confused about 2012 (yes, another one!)
- Another paranoia mind due to 2012
- novelty theory
- Possibility of Pole Shift
- 2012 Vectors
- Nibiru Question
- Odd things floating on google sky
- 2012 end of the world?
- 2012 and Solar Storms?
- Sun polar shift weirdness.
- Question? 
- December 21st 2012
- 2012 is giving me a Headache
- UN Agenda 21 and the coming pole reversal scare
- Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe
- Is there even something to this?
- We're not the only ones fighting 2012 nonsense
- True or not?
- NASA FAQ: 2012: [...] Why the World Won't End?