Thread: BAUT moderation now using infraction system

BAUT moderation now using infraction system

We're going to start using vBulletin's infraction system to administer discipline on the forum. This should be easier on the moderators as well as provide more consistency in how it is administered. A quick overview follows:

Users committing a rule violation receive a certain number of points based on that violation and the number of previous offenses. If the number of points exceeds a certain threshold, they will be automatically suspended or banned based on the threshold exceeded. The basic numbers are as follows: 1 point for the first offense, 2 for the second, 7 for the third, and 12 for the fourth. Thresholds are 3 for a 3-day suspension, 5 for a 7-day suspension, 8 for a 14-day suspension, and 12 for a perma-ban. Points will be adjusted to some extent based on the seriousness of the offense and whether the poster has been here long enough to know better.

You are welcome to discuss and critique this new approach here.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

A reminder to people: under this new approach, just because you don't see a visible result from a post or PM you report doesn't mean that no action was taken. It's quite possible that an infraction was issued, but since the point accumulation wasn't enough to generate a suspension, the result remains private.

There is some internal discussion going on about whether we should publicize each infraction given, but right now the consensus is that this is not something that needs to be general knowledge. You're welcome to discuss this in the discussion thread for this topic.
    Last edited by Swift; 2010-Oct-26 at 03:20 PM. Reason: fix link

We have had some questions about the infraction system that I believe are addressed in the OP above. Discussion is still welcome in the appropriate thread.