Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: BAUT moderation now using infraction system - discuss

thanks for the honest reply henna.

and thats also the difficulty the mods have its all definition.

it cannot be easy at times for them.

the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time.
    but not all of the people all of the time.

Indeed. The mods do an impossible job very well.

glom, you've said several times that asking questions which relate to CT (or ATM, though I don't think you've specifically mentioned ATM) are not allowed in the Q&A section. I do not think that is true, so long as it is an honest question and does not lead directly into CT or ATM discussion within the thread.

The idea that people are not allowed to become educated to better understand the basis of ATM & CT ideas seems to go against part of the purpose of this whole site.

If someone is able to correct me on these point then please do, but it sounds like a misconception was being spread.

Oh, and sorry for continuing the thread drift - just wanted to clear up this one point.

Questions are allowed as long as there is no advocacy.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    I don't like the rule that says if you can only post in CT if you are actively proposing the theory.
    That is no longer true, and hasn't been for quite some time.

Read The advice for Conspiracy Theory supporters. Particularly points 9 to 11:
    9. The CT forum is mostly designed for advocates of a Conspiracy Theory to defend their ideas, and not a general forum for CT discussion. However, we do allow limited posting of other threads related to CTs. If you have a specific question related to a CT (example: “Why can’t I see stars in photos from the moon?”), it is probably best to ask that in the Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers forum.

10. If you are not advocating a CT, but are looking, for example, for help in answering questions about one (“I got this friend at work who thinks….”), you can post in the CT forum when looking for help or advice. You must make it very clear that you are not advocating the CT. If you use these exceptions to advocate your own belief in a CT, you will be suspended or banned.

11. The CT forum may also be used for the critical analysis of websites that advocate specific astronomy and space related conspiracies. Such discussions should be limited to the specific claims of those websites and the scientific arguments against those claims. Such discussions are not an excuse to bash the claimants of such conspiracies.
    In my opinion however, sauron wasn't doing any of that. He was pretending to advocate a CT to make some point. I'm unclear if his point was an honest critique of how we debate CT advocates or to make us look foolish. In either case, neither is an allowed use of the CT forum, particularly in someone else's thread.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Lianachan View Post
    Originally Posted by Glom
    They also provoke some rather discourteous initial greetings from the regulars, which are going to put people off.
    I've noticed that. Sometimes, "discourteous" doesn't go nearly far enough to describe the level of downright rudeness. It must discourage some lurkers from dipping a toe into the water.
    I know Captain Swoop already addressed it, but I don't think it can be said too often.

I agree that sometimes we are too over aggressive in our attacks of newbies in CT and ATM. It has bothered me enough that if you search back about a year and half, you'll find a thread in Feedback I started (pre-mod days) to express my concern about this point. Even if we've heard the CT ideas many times, or "know" where the conversation is heading, we need to keep it civil and we need to assume the best of people, not the worst, at least until they prove otherwise.

The best we can do about this is to behave as civilly as we can, and report posts of those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    that kind of bullying bravado carried out whilst being one of the pack is a shameful sight to witness.
    manxman,

I'm sorry you feel that this is what is going on. As I said in my previous post, outright bullying or uncivil behavior is not allowed here and we do our best to keep it in check.

But the onus is on the advocate of the CT or the ATM idea to prove their idea. The best analogy is to a dissertation defense. And yes, they are exactly as difficult as it can be to prove your CT or ATM idea. You have three or four professors who are trying to work to make you prove to them your idea. And the onus is on you to convince them.

A lot of people don't like this system and some just can't handle it. It is very difficult. But, the ideas that come out of it (and the people who do) are that much stronger.

Beyond the "well, this is the way science is done" argument, the bottom line is this is the way the owners of this board want it.

If CT or ATM advocates can't handle that, then you are correct, this is not the place for them to come to present their ideas.

And to add to that, if someone presents an ATM idea, and the idea is correct and well thought out, then it will stand up to all the scrutiny we could possibly provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry4info View Post
    And to add to that, if someone presents an ATM idea, and the idea is correct and well thought out, then it will stand up to all the scrutiny we could possibly provide.

yea, that's great. only the brilliant scientists are allowed to post in ATM.

I think when people come here with an ATM idea, it it our opportunity to educate them. Of course some people don't want to learn; that's when I believe moderation is required, not before.
    My travel blog Currently about living in Europe with many older blog posts about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    yea, that's great. only the brilliant scientists are allowed to post in ATM.
    You seem to have missed the "if" in that statement.

ETA: Someone could be a brilliant non-scientist and have a defendable idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I know Captain Swoop already addressed it, but I don't think it can be said too often.

I agree that sometimes we are too over aggressive in our attacks of newbies in CT and ATM. It has bothered me enough that if you search back about a year and half, you'll find a thread in Feedback I started (pre-mod days) to express my concern about this point. Even if we've heard the CT ideas many times, or "know" where the conversation is heading, we need to keep it civil and we need to assume the best of people, not the worst, at least until they prove otherwise.

The best we can do about this is to behave as civilly as we can, and report posts of those who don't.
    i agree whole heartedly swift and your words encouraged me to answer in the best ufo cases thread directly to the OP.

now does that make me responsible to answer any questions or thinly disguised accusations of beliefs etc.

or can i trust that i will be treated with respect as in my posting was of a case that at face value is interesting with the quality of observers and was officially classed as unknown.

i havent made any claim as to what happened or claimed a belief and nor will i.

If you post in an active thread in the CT forum discussing UFO sightings you will be questioned on why you think something is an 'interesting' case. If you don't want to discuss it and answer questions then don't post.
    All Moderation in Purple

All my remaining points expire on the 6th. Do I get to start cutting up again on the 6th or should I wait until the 7th?

Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    All my remaining points expire on the 6th. Do I get to start cutting up again on the 6th or should I wait until the 7th?

Wait until the 7th, at which time, we'll gladly replace all of your expired points.
    Brett's the name. Peters Creek is the place.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

Do I get to start cutting up again on the 6th or should I wait until the 7th?
    What do you mean "start"? Did you stop at some point?

I can ban you right now if you're in a hurry to get somewhere. Let me know.

/ Happy to help.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

I don't think we actually know the answer to this. It might be that it is some number of days from the moment your infraction is recorded, or the system might round to the nearest midnight. Feel free to test this... or not, since we like having you around.
    Forming opinions as we speak

We do need to know though, so maybe Don can be the sacrifice to test it for us
    All Moderation in Purple

Would it be out of the question for a Mod or Admin to create a sock puppet for test purposes to nut out issues like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    Would it be out of the question for a Mod or Admin to create a sock puppet for test purposes to nut out issues like that?
    IIRC ToSeek already did, resulting in humorous commenting by the lesser people in attendance. Maybe he gave himself a stern warning. Or perhaps a 3 day ban coinciding with a vacation. Too tired to find the thread where it was mentioned..

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Actually, now that you mention it I think I may have seen mention of that. A simple search of ToSeek posts containing the phrase "sock puppet" should... wait... oh.

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    I don't think we actually know the answer to this. It might be that it is some number of days from the moment your infraction is recorded, or the system might round to the nearest midnight. Feel free to test this... or not, since we like having you around.
    The system checks for expired infractions every thirty minutes, at :20 and :50. So you'd have to look at the exact time that the infraction was issued in order to figure out when it's going to expire.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    The system checks for expired infractions every thirty minutes, at :20 and :50. So you'd have to look at the exact time that the infraction was issued in order to figure out when it's going to expire.
    I can't help but notice that this wasn't posted until the 7th.

No comment, I just had to make a post.

4000 posts! Congratulations! Where's the sham-paggin?

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    IIRC ToSeek already did, resulting in humorous commenting by the lesser people in attendance. Maybe he gave himself a stern warning. Or perhaps a 3 day ban coinciding with a vacation. Too tired to find the thread where it was mentioned..
    So long as he doesn't ban his puppet's IP address!

This is Antoniseb's big opportunity to grasp unchecked control of the site!

Go tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    I can't help but notice that this wasn't posted until the 7th.
    that was when the infraction expired ...

er, um, I mean embargo was lifted ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tensor

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensor View Post
    Well, I'm late to the party. You're at 4,001 now.