Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BAUT moderation now using infraction system - discuss

BAUT moderation now using infraction system - discuss

We're going to start using vBulletin's infraction system to administer discipline on the forum. This should be easier on the moderators as well as provide more consistency in how it is administered. A quick overview follows:

Users committing a rule violation receive a certain number of points based on that violation and the number of previous offenses. If the number of points exceeds a certain threshold, they will be automatically suspended or banned based on the threshold exceeded. The basic numbers are as follows: 1 point for the first offense, 2 for the second, 7 for the third, and 12 for the fourth. Thresholds are 3 for a 3-day suspension, 5 for a 7-day suspension, 8 for a 14-day suspension, and 12 for a perma-ban. Points will be adjusted to some extent based on the seriousness of the offense and whether the poster has been here long enough to know better.

Discussion is welcome below.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Will there be an arbitration system. i.e. lets say, for example, I have an incredibly bad day and rant and break a number of rules in the heat of the moment. In one posting I hit 14 points. Is there a redress process?

Well, I'm screwed.

Well, I would refrain from posting on a dog day [thatīs how bad days are called in my neck of the woods].

How long do points for an infraction stay on the record?

Quote Originally Posted by LotusExcelle View Post
    Will there be an arbitration system. i.e. lets say, for example, I have an incredibly bad day and rant and break a number of rules in the heat of the moment. In one posting I hit 14 points. Is there a redress process?
    Moderators should never perma-ban anyone for short-term behavior; only people who clearly never intend to behave (spammers) or who have an extended history of bad behavior (see the list) should be banned. Note that the number of points awarded is up to the moderators - the only automated part is controlling the suspension of ban.

Quote Originally Posted by nauthiz View Post
    How long do points for an infraction stay on the record?
    That depends on the offense. Right now I have it set up so that:

1 point offense - 30 days
    2 point offense - 60 days
    7 point offense - 180 days

We may tweak that, though.

Is there a statute of limitations?
    The points system on a UK driving licence eventually lapses, for instance, and one starts again with a clean slate.
    Do we want people to recover completely clean slates after a time period? Or do we want people to be nudged ever closer to permanent banning with each successive offence, no matter how widely spaced?

Edit: OK, answered while I was typing.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Is there a statute of limitations?
    The points system on a UK driving licence eventually lapses, for instance, and one starts again with a clean slate.
    Do we want people to recover completely clean slates after a time period? Or do we want people to be nudged ever closer to permanent banning with each successive offence, no matter how widely spaced?

Grant Hutchison
    Moderators already consider the length of time since the last rule violation when deciding what to do about the current one. This wouldn't change that - moderators have the leeway to decide that, because it's been a year since the last offense, this new violation will be considered a first offense rather than a second or third.

Again, the awarding of points remains a completely manual process subject to the moderators' judgment. It's only the result of awarding the points that's automated.

I think we all know this isn't going to please everyone, but we all know nothing will. I'm relatively happy with it, though, because I think the biggest problem I've had with past moderation would not have happened under this system.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When a point is given, will the offender be notified? Will the offending person have a chance to present a defense of any sort?
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    When a point is given, will the offender be notified? Will the offending person have a chance to present a defense of any sort?
    You will receive a PM about the infraction, it is an automatic part of the system.

I suspect the defense system will be no different than it is now.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If anyone would like to receive a zero-point infraction that expires after an hour, just to see what it looks like from the receiving end, let us know. We have a test one in the system that most of the moderators have experienced already.

Sure. I'll take one.
    I'm Not Evil.

Sure. I'll take one.
    Done. Thanks for being a test case.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Sure, send one to me. Hopefully it will be the only time I see it.

Cool it shows up in the user control panel too. That way people that get then can see when they expire.

Edit: There is now an infraction tab on my profile too. Can that be seen by everyone?
    I'm Not Evil.

So, so I understand correctly here? If I have accumulated enough points and go over the top I could be permanently banned, but if I were to wait a few days and let some points drop off my record, I would be ok?

It'll be more than a "few" days, but yes, if you behave long enough (as happens now), your record cools off.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

There is now an infraction tab on my profile too. Can that be seen by everyone?
    I don't see it in your profile.

Speaking of which, I could use a volunteer as well to serve as a short term squeaky toy to see how the panel controls work. I promise I'll be (relatively) gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    Sure, send one to me. Hopefully it will be the only time I see it.
    Done.

I don't really like the idea of the software banning, or suspending anyone.
    does that really have to be automated?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Speaking of which, I could use a volunteer as well to serve as a short term squeaky toy to see how the panel controls work. I promise I'll be (relatively) gentle.
    Hit me with your rhythm stick.
    Hit me! Hit me!
    Das ist gut! C'est fantastique!
    Hit me! hit me! hit me!
    Hit me with your rhythm stick.
    It's nice to be a lunatic.
    Hit me! Hit me! Hit meeeeee!

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I guess the infraction tab only appears when you look at your own profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'll offer myself up as a target to any mod that wants to try it out. I'll be going to bed soon anyway, so I likely won't even know they happened.
    I'm Not Evil.

Frog_march, think of it as administrative automation. Ultimately, the mod team still makes all decisions, but the advantage is that we can see, in one place, a poster's entire history. And you can see your own history as well.

[Edit: Thanks slang.]

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    I don't really like the idea of the software banning, or suspending anyone.
    does that really have to be automated?
    The moderators will have enough information prior to handing out the infraction to know what the result is going to be. I don't see a problem with having a more standardized and slightly automated schema for handling it.

I like the idea of an infraction system, but ultimately I think the ban/suspension button should be pressed manually.

Seems healthier, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    The moderators will have enough information prior to handing out the infraction to know what the result is going to be. I don't see a problem with having a more standardized and slightly automated schema for handling it.

that's what I mean; Mods can control what is happening anyway, but one stage removed....what's wrong with the mods having the final say, directly?

I would rather the driver of a bus have his hands directly on the steering wheel, rather than award points as to how much left, or right the wheel should be turned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    I would rather the driver of a bus have his hands directly on the steering wheel, rather than award points as to how much left, or right the wheel should be turned.
    What?