With all the H1N1 fears going around, some people are really going overboard with the whole anti-germ thing. Well, *I* feel it's overboard anyway. Maybe I just have a death wish.
Anyway, the other day my manager dropped off bottles of "waterless hand sanitizer" at each desk, and said we should use it regularly. She also bought some antiseptic wipes to use on things like phones and doorknobs and what not.
I've never been a fan of that stuff. Let your immune system do it's job, I say. But rather than arguing I just acted like it was a good idea and went about my day.
Today, though, it struck me. Usually this stuff is "antibacterial". This is labeled as "Sanitizer", but if you read the back label it says something like "Kills 99.9% of all bacteria that can spread disease!" Okay, great.
. . . but isn't H1N1 a virus, and thus not affected by antibacterial agents? Is this stuff even effective against it? I mean, washing your hands is good, sure. But this isn't really washing your hands. It's just slathering them with ethyl alcohol. And since it's "waterless", you're not rinsing anything off.
Ironically enough, the manager that's so gun-ho about using this stuff is now out with a double sinus infection. Okay, so the medical entry I read on sinus infections said it can be caused by a bacteria, fungal infection, or virus, but I *think* bacterial is most common.
With no medical anything to back it up with, I maintain that the 0.1% of bacteria that sneaks by the soaps and sanitizers is more potent when your immune system hasn't been "exercising" on the other 99.9%.