Thread: Binoculars, Advice please!

Binoculars, Advice please!

Hello My Dears!

I have an opportunity to get a pair of Carl Veitch 30x60 binoculars.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice or experience of having used something like this. And any comments about the optical quality/performance.

Currently I use a pair of Meade's 10x50.

Thank you kindly, for your time.

If you're using them for astro, then you will need something to stabilize them.

Nick

I also think that extended objects (planets, galaxies, nebulas, etc) will be rather dim. The exit pupil is only 2 mm while something in the neighbourhood of 5 mm (like on the 10x50mm) is recommeded.

Patrik

Not sure about the quality, but 30x seems like too much on 60mm binoculars for astronomy. For magnifications higher than 20x it's more practical to use a telescope. These seem meant for long range terrestrial observation. Astronomy binoculars are supposed to do mainly wide field scanning and give bright sharp views.

And of course, you'll need a tripod to use them for anything. If you want really powerful astronomical binoculars, and you have a tripod, I would think some 20x80s would be a better choice.

I agree with the others here, the 30X60 might not be that great for astronomy. It'll be nearly impossible to hold them steady at that magnification, so a tripod is a must. That's not a bad thing, just be aware of the added expense. How well do you like your 10X50's? That's a great size for astronomy. If you've got the upgrade bug, you could get a higher quality 10X50's or as Siguy mentions, move up to 20X80's--good exit pupil and lots of aperature.

I have three pairs (many years now) of 10x50's and one of them is Meade. This has good eye relief, when compared to the other two. I use two of them pretty much regularly.

No [I]redshifterI]...it's not the upgrade bug. Just that the 30/60's came my way. Otherwise, I' quite content with the ones I have. And I thought perhaps you folks here could enlighten me further. Which you've done. Thanks for that.

I do realise about the need for a tripod, to stabilise the larger ones. Thanks Nick.

Siguy, I note what you say about 30x...thanks.

Thanks glapp..., and y'all. I hear.

Ever seen one of these things ?

http://www.telescope.com/control/pro...oduct_id=05376

Kind of pricey, but I bet one could be fabricated from one of those parallelogram arms that are used for microphones or those workbench lamps!

How handy are you with tools ?

You could also MacGyver yourself up a do-it-yourself home-made binocular image stabilizer.

Nick