Thread: the fictional constellation

Talking the fictional constellation

If you could create a constellation with any shape and any meaning what would it be and the story behind it

mine would be:
    bells the fairy
    there would be six satrs and the mythology would be that while bells was singing and picking flowers a god came down and threated to take her voice so she fly high and became stuck in the sky

so what would yours be

Land of the Great Horses, or the Diz Boro Grai, is a small constellation that can only be seen using averted vision. It is said that Romany can see it staring direct, but this is usually dismissed as a vain boast.

Since this isn't a discussion about actual constellations, I've moved this thread to Off-Topic Babbling. Have fun.
    Brett's the name. Peters Creek is the place.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

A hypercube.

I'd go for something different, not the same old myth about Andromeda and her folks and Perseus and his winged horse and the sea monster. One story ended up with a huge chunk of the sky.

In Hawaiian, Scorpius is Maui's Fishhook. I like that one. Or maybe something from Australia would be fun.

"The Patternless Mess of Stars"

The 37 constellation, close to Orion. Of course, you need binoculars to see it.

It's named for the age at which I first observed it, and also that's what it looks like, unless you use a scope with a diagonal.

If we're seeing new objects in existing star groups, Cassiopeia looks kind of like a stealth bomber if you redraw some lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Airesgirl View Post
    ... so what would yours be
    I'm not sure I can describe it on on BAUT, but let's put it this way: if Michelangelo had painted it, Cardinal Carafa would have had a bikini top painted over it.

Quote Originally Posted by kleindoofy View Post
    I'm not sure I can describe it on on BAUT, but let's put it this way: if Michelangelo had painted it, Cardinal Carafa would have had a bikini top painted over it.
    Miss January?
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Mine would a Zebra.

Kieran

Also it would have 13 stars. The star Lunbaria would have 9 planets.

We could find a pattern of stars that looks like a tall sailing ship and call it The Constellation.

We could find a pattern of stars that looks like a tall sailing ship and call it The Constellation.
    The constellation Constellation?

Reminds me of the scientific name for the American bison: Bison bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Airesgirl View Post
    bells the fairy
    there would be six satrs and the mythology would be that while bells was singing and picking flowers a god came down and threated to take her voice so she fly high and became stuck in the sky
    This is unconvincing. With 6 satyrs around, she would have time neither to sing nor to pick flowers. Most likely she would have gone into the sky herself just to get away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post

Or Major Major Major Major from Catch-22.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post

Like Rattus rattus, the Black Rat.
    Also a bit like Canis Lupus Lupus and Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

As for constellations, how about That Vague Patch of Stars Right Over There. No, Look Where I'm Pointing Now. There, See It?1.

1) Also sometimes call Pleiades

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

There's a distinctive 'H' shaped pattern in the stars near (& incl.) Achernar. It is made up of two slightly concavely curving rows of stars - the "Achernar row" stars being Zeta Phoenicis, Achernar (Alpha Eridani) and Alpha Hydri while those in the "fainter stars" row are Delta Phoenicis, Chi Eridani and Phi Eridani.

This asterism stands out pretty well in the sky even in moderately light-polluted Adelaide (South Australian) skies but doesn't seem noted much anywhere.

I'd like to make it an official constellation - and since it looks like the map symbol for bridge and aptly marks the "end of the river" (Eridanus) call it the "Bridge of Achernar". :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    ... 1) Also sometimes call Pleiades
    Actually, the Plieades (aka "Seven Sisters", Subaru, M45) was once considered a constellation in its own right back in the original Ptolemaic era catalogue I think. ;-)

@ KaiYeves signature line : "If you think the LHC will create black holes, you might as well believe Hobbits are at the bottom of your garden."- Dr. Mike Inglis

Y'know I kinda like both those options! ;-)
    Last edited by Messier Tidy Upper; 2009-Oct-07 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Adding ellipsis & @KaiYeves line.

And the American Plains Bison is Bison bison bison. I kid you not.

The striped skunk is mephetis mephitis, I guess "smelliest of the smelly". That seems scientifically correct.

i meant stars i know i have spelling issues

For fictional constellations, I always like Shrek and Donkey's conversation about them

Shrek: And that one, that's Throwback, the only ogre to spit over three wheat fields.
    Donkey: Okay, I see it. Hey, Shrek. Can you tell my future from these stars?
    Shrek: The stars don't tell the future, Donkey. They tell stories. That one is Bloodnut, the Flatulent. You can guess what he's famous for.
    Donkey: Okay, now I know you're making that up
    Shrek: No, see? That's him, and this is the group of hunters running away from his stench.
    Donkey: Man, that ain't nothing but a bunch of little dots.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'd create a constellation of six galaxies arranged in a benzene ring, as knowing this is the first indication a carbon-based species has risen beyond their background.

If spun, the ring would take millennia to collapse.