Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 224

Thread: 2012 is giving me a Headache

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    936

    2012 is giving me a Headache

    I still see people posting nonsense about a 2012 apocalypse. I can only wonder how much this is upsetting archaeologists that specialize in Mayan civilization. Perhaps they have to roll their eyes much more so than astronomers, when asked about it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    237
    It's become an industry now like the Apollo Hoax conspiracy and UFOs. The nice thing is that it has a built-in expiration date. Once 2012 passes and we're all still here, it'll evaporate like previous end of the world hysteria, such as Y2K and the passing through the tail of Halley's Comet.

  3. #3

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Space Chimp View Post
    It's become an industry now like the Apollo Hoax conspiracy and UFOs. The nice thing is that it has a built-in expiration date. Once 2012 passes and we're all still here, it'll evaporate like previous end of the world hysteria, such as Y2K and the passing through the tail of Halley's Comet.
    Yeah, the 2012 theories will be proven wrong, but then people will just start making up doomsday theories with a new date. And even though no end-of-the-world prediction has been right yet, people will still believe these new 'prophecies.'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,950
    It's giving me a headache, also. I have a great interest in archeology, and I agree with you that it must drive serious archeologists crazy to be asked questions like this repeatedly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,060
    And all of that is why we needed yet another thread about it.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And all of that is why we needed yet another thread about it.

    LOL!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    38,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And all of that is why we needed yet another thread about it.
    Hey, Binary man has mouths to feed and needs a steady supply if his link farm is going to keep growing.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    665

    Smile Matthew

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewota View Post
    I still see people posting nonsense about a 2012 apocalypse. I can only wonder how much this is upsetting archaeologists that specialize in Mayan civilization. Perhaps they have to roll their eyes much more so than astronomers, when asked about it.
    This is not just about the Mayan calender, but much more. From Nostrademus, to
    present day understanding. That we are heading for destruction as a race.
    So much farcical compacency that denies history puts our head in the sand.
    The infastucture we all rely on, that is computers, would be fried in the event of
    a massive solar flare, the same scenario even worse if we are subject to a gamma
    ray burst from a nearby supernova. Then there is the threat of a massive volcano
    eruption, Yellowstone is long past it's time cycle.
    75 K years ago, Toba, a massive volvano, almost wiped out mankind, and compromised
    the genetic pool of human evolution. Oh I almost forgot, an asteroid strike that we are
    still unprepared for, and have not the resourses to deal with.
    Perhaps 2012 not so much nonesense after all.
    Nokton.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,115
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewota View Post
    I still see people posting nonsense about a 2012 apocalypse. I can only wonder how much this is upsetting archaeologists that specialize in Mayan civilization. Perhaps they have to roll their eyes much more so than astronomers, when asked about it.
    My younger sister is egyptologists and she gets asked silly questions all the time. You know, the mummy-curse and pyramid-magic stuff etc
    But she likes "Stargate SG-1"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,060
    Yes, it is. Actually sit down and read Nostradamus, then get back to me about how clearly he predicts anything.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    38,556
    Quote Originally Posted by nokton View Post
    This is not just about the Mayan calender, but much more. From Nostrademus, to
    present day understanding. That we are heading for destruction as a race.
    So much farcical compacency that denies history puts our head in the sand.
    The infastucture we all rely on, that is computers, would be fried in the event of
    a massive solar flare, the same scenario even worse if we are subject to a gamma
    ray burst from a nearby supernova. Then there is the threat of a massive volcano
    eruption, Yellowstone is long past it's time cycle.
    75 K years ago, Toba, a massive volvano, almost wiped out mankind, and compromised
    the genetic pool of human evolution. Oh I almost forgot, an asteroid strike that we are
    still unprepared for, and have not the resourses to deal with.
    Perhaps 2012 not so much nonesense after all.
    Nokton.
    Some how this fictional quote seems the appropriate response
    Kay: There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they Do... Not... Know about it!
    But seriously Nokton... I hope you are not serious.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,459
    You know, BAUT almost ran out of '2's, '1's, and '0's late last month. We had to order six more crates of numerals, and we have a whole warehouse full of '4-8's that are gonna spoil if someone doesn't come up with a good scare using the middle digits soon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    . . . and we have a whole warehouse full of '4-8's that are gonna spoil if someone doesn't come up with a good scare using the middle digits soon.
    Why be original? Try the Hollywood Method (tm); attach them to an already popular phenomenon.

    On 12/12/2012, there will be 3 signs that the earth is ending. 4 massive earthquakes will send tidal waves over all 7 continents, followed by 5 days of violent weather. 6 will be afraid of 7, because 7 8 9!!! 3355399!!!!!! OooOoOOoO!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Metrowest, Boston
    Posts
    4,196

    Talking

    I thought passage through the tail of Halley's comet, composed of unobtainium, was what protected us from annihilation during Y2K? Having tested it successfully already, all we need to do is obtain another comet-tail for 2011 pete

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    936
    I did some research on the history of the 2012 apocalypse and found that it was started when the History Channel made a documentary about it.

    Why the History Channel should do a program speculating about a purported future catastrophe? It is irresponsible and alarmist.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,950
    Why the History Channel should do a program speculating about a purported future catastrophe? It is irresponsible and alarmist.
    For the pretty green paper with dead presidents on it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    936
    Well, at least it was not put on the Science Channel.
    While mentioning the Science Channel, I knew about it for years until I was able to tune into it a couple of months ago. My assumptions about its content were very wrong, as most of the programming on it is really dumbed down for consumption by couch potatoes.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    4,757
    Citizens of Planet Earth come and go, but Chicken Little will live forever.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,473
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewota View Post
    I did some research on the history of the 2012 apocalypse and found that it was started when the History Channel made a documentary about it.

    Why the History Channel should do a program speculating about a purported future catastrophe? It is irresponsible and alarmist.
    What's even more disturbing is when The Science Channel ran an entertaining program showing the landscape, gravity, and atmosphere on different moons in our solar system (I think John Lithgow was the narrator), it was based on what we know of them. Still, in the description, it was labeled fantasy. Yet, when they run programs about 2012, it's description labels it educational. That whole discovery package has a funny way of differentiating the two.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewota View Post
    I did some research on the history of the 2012 apocalypse and found that it was started when the History Channel made a documentary about it.
    Oddly Nimoy's show "In Search of.." mentions the date Dec. 24 2011 as the date of the end of Mayan "civilization cycle" This was in an episode from 1978. (youtube@4:40) 12/21/12 must be more marketable then 12/24/11.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    936
    Well, I would venture to guess that the people promoting the 2012 scenario were in diapers when that episode aired.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    665

    Smile Nostrademus

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yes, it is. Actually sit down and read Nostradamus, then get back to me about how clearly he predicts anything.
    No argument with you on your point, he never clearly predicted anything, just wrote
    many poems about scenarios that may happen. Thing is, the fact that one of many
    comes true, does not him a prophet make. But rather a brother of statistical reason.
    If you cast your net wide enough, a fish you will catch,
    you will understand Gillian.
    Nokton

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewota View Post
    Well, I would venture to guess that the people promoting the 2012 scenario were in diapers when that episode aired.
    And their parents left them in front of the tv. Someone is trying to monetize on a childhood memory, skewed with time. Gawd, it really is the third parent!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,060
    Quote Originally Posted by nokton View Post
    No argument with you on your point, he never clearly predicted anything, just wrote many poems about scenarios that may happen. Thing is, the fact that one of many comes true, does not him a prophet make. But rather a brother of statistical reason. If you cast your net wide enough, a fish you will catch, you will understand Gillian.
    Write enough nonsense, and apparently, someone will think you have. No. He never clearly predicts anything in all those "poems." ("Quatrains" is, in fact, the correct term.) He wrote hundreds of the things, and in all the years since, there has never been a scholarly consensus before the fact about what anything he wrote even means. That infamous "Hister" verse? Was, before World War II, assumed to be about the Danube, because that's an archaic word for it. Certainly the man never mentioned anyone else by name.

    The one clear, unobscured prediction I know he's made was that the then-king of France would live a long, healthy life. The king died very soon afterward. Actually read the stuff, for preference in a version with analysis. They're funnier, because it's nice to see the "experts" disagree.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7,741
    I guess it's a good creative writing exercise, trying to make up a theory, then work it obscurely into a short piece of poetry, but it has no place in science.

    When someone extracts a prediction from it, rather than injects a postdiction into it, then I'll be interested. Enough so to make a note of it and check back after the predicted date of occurence anyway.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    665

    Smile The Quatrains

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Write enough nonsense, and apparently, someone will think you have. No. He never clearly predicts anything in all those "poems." ("Quatrains" is, in fact, the correct term.) He wrote hundreds of the things, and in all the years since, there has never been a scholarly consensus before the fact about what anything he wrote even means. That infamous "Hister" verse? Was, before World War II, assumed to be about the Danube, because that's an archaic word for it. Certainly the man never mentioned anyone else by name.

    The one clear, unobscured prediction I know he's made was that the then-king of France would live a long, healthy life. The king died very soon afterward. Actually read the stuff, for preference in a version with analysis. They're funnier, because it's nice to see the "experts" disagree.
    Have studied the Quatrains in detail Gillien. My conclusion is they are not unlike so
    many faiths and beliefs that rely upon interpretation of the spoken or written word.
    My contention has ever been, if you have something to say, say it clearly and deny
    ambiguity. Alas, so much that was spoke and written, never was, but just a construct
    of an imagination that wanted it so, and tried to perpetuate it by creating riddles to
    avoid the real truth. Feel you will understand Gillien. One thing more, and I seek your
    indulgence. You have an anger within you. I would like to understand. Please do not
    misinterpret my genuine request. Hands over the head now, and knees pulled up to
    the chest.....Value you, and your ideas.
    Nokton.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    9,569
    nokton, your attitude is not appropriate. Back off with the personal comments towards the other BAUT member.

    Further, I believe mainstream science would say:

    Possibility of gamma ray burst some time : real
    Possibility of "bad" volcanic eruption some time : real
    Possibility of big asteroid impact some time : real

    Nostradamus predictions (2012 or whatever) : bogus
    Myans thought world would end in 2012 : bogus

    If you want to argue these last two points, it's time to take it to the ATM forum, make a claim, then defend it.
    Thank you, members of cosmoquest forum, you are a part of my life I value.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    665

    History

    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Citizens of Planet Earth come and go, but Chicken Little will live forever.
    I do not understand your point, Hornblower. Levity is the refuge of the ones who fail to
    understand a concept of science and reason.
    Science, reason, and history, dictate that evolution on this planet has suffered mass
    trauma in the extinctions due to climate change, asteroid impact, basalt flood planes
    et al.
    The fact that 'we' are here, is testament to natures ultimate scenario. Intelligence.
    OK. Rock my boat. Life in one form or another may pervade the known universe,
    but intelligent life is another question.
    With one eye on the moderators here, may I ask what your journey is. To walk the
    walk, or talk the talk.
    Nokton

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    665

    My sincere apologies, no offence intended

    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    nokton, your attitude is not appropriate. Back off with the personal comments towards the other BAUT member.

    Further, I believe mainstream science would say:

    Possibility of gamma ray burst some time : real
    Possibility of "bad" volcanic eruption some time : real
    Possibility of big asteroid impact some time : real

    Nostradamus predictions (2012 or whatever) : bogus
    Myans thought world would end in 2012 : bogus

    If you want to argue these last two points, it's time to take it to the ATM forum, make a claim, then defend it.
    My sincere apologies, no offence intended

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    936
    I am offended a lot on this forum by people that post outlandish theories or statements and then leave without responding to the replies to their OPs. Sometimes I think they are doing it just to compel us to respond.

Similar Threads

  1. headache
    By trinitree88 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2010-Nov-27, 06:45 PM
  2. Newton's Big Headache
    By lpetrich in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2005-Nov-15, 02:33 AM
  3. The speed of light (giving me a headache)
    By ziggwarth in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-May-19, 02:26 PM
  4. Are you ready for a headache?
    By kucharek in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Mar-27, 06:42 PM
  5. This should be enough to give you a headache.....
    By Drakheim in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2004-Mar-11, 12:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: