Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have actually eaten straight from a can - while at work?

How many of you have actually eaten straight from a can - while at work?

How many of you have actually eaten straight from a can - while at work? I'm talking about beans, soup, etc.....

if you're not a bachelor, then there is no excuse

I have. I used to stock shelves in a grocery store and I carried a Swiss army knife with all the goodies. Lunch often consisted of Spaghettio's which were not just eaten from the can, but drank. No cooking, no cleaning. Just open the can and chug.

I've also eaten condensed cream of mushroom soup frm the can, but it's a little rich, and you do need a spoon for that.

Beans are a given. I still do that at home. Same with corn.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by banquo's_bumble_puppy View Post
    if you're not a bachelor, then there is no excuse
    What does marital status have to do with it?

^genouc, I think Banqou is using an old sterotype of how bachelors do not want to dishes so they will do anything to acheive this end.

Myself I can not remember eating out of a can directly ever. I can remember eating some baked beans made from scratch that should been left in the stove a little longer but me and my grandfather were to hungry to care. We paid for it the next day.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

I don't take canned food to work. I do drink Mountain Dew directly from the two liter bottle.

At home, if I'm heating canned food that's mostly water such as peas or whole kernel corn I'll heat it in the can. I use a Teflon pan for other stuff like canned beans or spaghetti that has a more dense sauce.

I also drink pop from the bottle.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

I have. Baked beans and tuna (not at the same time!). Probably other things I do not remember. And definitely other things if "at work" restriction is removed.

not I--only at home!

I'm sure I've drank soda right from a can at work, though.

I used to do it all the time when I was in the Army. Back then, we ate C-Rations when we were in the field. C-Rations were canned goods. Scrape off the congealed fat, stir in some hot sauce and you got a hot meal. Most of them were nasty but the cans of fruit were sublime. Life gets pretty basic when you're out in the field.

I just found this scary statement in a Wikipedia article about C-Rations:

While the initial specification was officially declared obsolete in 1945, and production of all Type C rations ended in 1958, existing stockpiles of both original and revised Type C rations continued to be issued to troops serving in Korea and even as late as the Vietnam conflict.[

I was still eating them in 1977. Either the Wiki articl is incorrect or that food was even older than I thought. This article may explain things: The "Meal, Combat, Individual," or MCI, replaced C Rations in 1958. The MCI was very similar to the C Rations in concept and packaging but had more nutritionally balanced meals and greater variety. Because of the similarities it was often called "C Rations" even if it was technically a new ration. MCI the main field ration used during the Vietnam War and was still in service until the 1980s.

Whew!

Only food I've ever eaten straight from the can was cat-food. I wasn't sure what sort of table-ware would be appropriate, anyway.

Grant Hutchison

Nope.

Does Campbell's "Soup At Hand" count? I've never had that product, but would you consider it an exception?

I've eaten sardines from the can while at work. Transferring them to a different container beforehand would just be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Only food I've ever eaten straight from the can was cat-food. I wasn't sure what sort of table-ware would be appropriate, anyway.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by davidlpf View Post
    ^genouc, I think Banqou is using an old sterotype of how bachelors do not want to dishes so they will do anything to acheive this end.
    I don't think so. I took it as a reference to the stereotype that men, especially bachelors, can't cook and therefore don't bring in food from home. Once married, the wife dutifully takes care of them. A bachelor is forced to feed himself from cans. Correct me if I'm wrong, banquo.

I'll say this - I'd rather eat cat food out of a can than my wife's cooking. Thankfully, I do almost all of the cooking at home and I supply her with meals so she doesn't have to eat food out of a can.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Is anybody else thinking of Bachelor Chow from Futurama as they read this thread?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250px-Bachelor_Chow.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	10573  

That's what I called nearly everything I ate 20 years ago.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

My daughter eats all sorts of things straight from the can. Ravioli, green beans and beans are some of her favorites. The ravioli grosses me out!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlpf View Post
    ^I think Banqou is using an old sterotype of how bachelors do not want to dishes so they will do anything to acheive this end.
    When I was a bachelor, I would always cook dinner, eat dinner, then do the dish.

I don't recall eating out of a can at work, but I may have at some time in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison

Grant Hutchison
    Kattomeat, as it was then called. In vitamin-enriched gravy.
    With a single transgressive act, I was able to mess with the heads of both my girlfriend and her cat.

Grant Hutchison

Out of a can? At work? Not that I can recall.

I recall a camping type situation, but I also recall things "tasting like the can" and getting a distinct whiff of metal. No thank you.

However, I buy many things in glass jars and have been known to spoon baked beans out of a jar during a late night programming stint. Ohhhhh, just once or twice.

I never eat out of a can , at work or at home . And I very rarely eat canned food , only beans and peas or sardines and tuna. In my opinion canned food is not healthy and not very good. So at home I do my cooking even if it is very simple. And at work I go to my enterprise canteen or go to a bar to eat a hot meal or a sandwitch.

Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    ... In my opinion canned food is not healthy and not very good. ... at work I ... to a bar to eat a hot meal ...
    Much of which probably comes out of cans.

I sometimes do that at work.

Baked beans straight from the can.

Followed by pineapple rings, for desert.

(The beans bring back memories of eating with my Father, on the side of a hill in pouring rain, sheltering behind a tree that was downslope of us, on our way out of the bush after a hunting trip. Tasted just fine.)
    Thank you, members of cosmoquest forum, you are a part of my life I value.

Lots of times! I'm not sure what that "there's no excuse" comment was all about, as in my line of work, many people did so, particularly in field conditions.

In fact, we'd cook our food in their cans! Simply open the top most way, but leaving it attached with a 1" wide piece. A pair of pliers to use as a handle, and set next to hot coals, and it was boiling in about three to five minutes. When we were done, we'd burn the cans to reduce wildlife problems, then fish them out of the ashes in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kleindoofy View Post
    Much of which probably comes out of cans.

NO , not at all , I know the cook.

Eat out of the can at work? I don't typically have food that comes in cans to begin with. Just a simple sandwich and maybe a fruit cup. Does a plastic cup count?

Now, if the question was about eating while ON the can . . .

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    I guess that I haven't answered the OP. I have never eaten out of a can at work. I usually eat out or take something, like a sandwich, that isn't canned.

I think the only times I've eaten straight from a can was on camping trips, and the contents were usually heated first.

Foie gras and tuna are ok to eat straight from the can. Other stuff are not, to me.

Two of the best meals I've ever had were from cans. one was canned ham & eggs in a shelter in Greenland after we'd been caught in a sudden blizzard on July 4th, It was heated in a diesel-fuelled stove. The other was pork & beans in Germany, heated on the exhaust manifold of a truck. They both were absolutely delicious.

There's another way to look at people who eat out of cans.
    They conserve water (don't have to wash plates or bowls or cooking pans/pots/ect afterwards).

Oh, and if they were to recycle the can afterwards, that's a 2-fer for the enviroment.