Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Cleveland (Alaska) Activity

Nice catch Tensor, I have to wait on my lunch breaks to check these! Was about to post an update myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Nice catch Tensor, I have to wait on my lunch breaks to check these! Was about to post an update myself.
    I got lucky as I was just looking around the net and a claim on another site caused me to go to the USGS site to verify something. I was probably about 5-10 minutes from shutting down and going to bed.

Mt. Cleveland was downgraded back to Condition Yellow, on Dec 30th. Looks like it was just an intermittant outburst of gas/steam.

Just an update, the lava dome which had almost reached the crater rim over last few months, was evidently completly blown out by the resent eruptive activity. So there was likely a good amount of tefra strewn about by that activity.

The latest, as of 31 January, from Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO)
    Renewed eruptive activity of Cleveland Volcano has been observed in satellite data, and AVO is raising the Aviation Color Code to Orange and the Alert Level to Watch. A new lava dome has been observed in the summit crater, and as of 30 January 2012 was approximately 40 meters (130 feet) in diameter. There have been no observations of ash emissions or explosive activity during this current lava eruption.

The lava dome that formed throughout the fall-winter of 2011 was largely removed by the explosive activity on 25 and 29 December, 2011. It remains possible for intermittent, sudden explosions of blocks and ash to occur at any time, and ash clouds exceeding 20,000 feet above sea level may develop. Such explosions and their associated ash clouds may go undetected in satellite imagery for hours. If a large, explosive, ash-producing event occurs, seismic, infrasound, or volcanic lightning may be detected by local and regional monitoring networks. There is no real-time seismic monitoring network on Mount Cleveland.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

infrasound
    More on that:
    Infrasonics Program - Geophysical Institute, University of Allaska
    •Auroral Infrasound
    •Microbaroms (Standing wave patterns on the sea surface in marine storms)
    •Mountain Associated Waves
    •Earthquake Infrasound
    •Nuclear Weapons tests
    •Calving Icebergs

Still condition Orange since Swift's posting. No Changes otherwise, no ash eruptions but dome growth has resumed.

It's grown another small dome, but no other changes to it's condition at this point

VONA alerts indicate a minor explosive event at Mt. Cleavleand yesterday, but no ash emissions from it on satillites.

Mt. Cleveland was Downgraded back to Condition Yellow last week. Looks like activity is reducing again.

Mt. Cleveland was upgraded back to Condition Orange yesterday, after signs of a brand new second lava dome forming in the sumit crater had been seen over the last five days.

Mt. Cleveland - Elevated temperatures on the new lava dome, indicating this one is being made of hotter materials the the previous two domes.

Mt. Cleveland - Condition still Orange Explosion detected yesterday with a minor ash eruption following.

Condition still Orange - New lava dome in the creater is forming about 25m in size so far. No additional explosive activity since last report.

Appears to be a third repeat of it's dome destruction/regrowth cycle, it's exhibited twice already.

Both ash and steam emission have stopped. Cloudy conditions prevent any determination if lava dome still growing.

Satellite images revealed elevated surface temperatures at Mt. Cleveland on Sunday, but no ash or steam emissions.

Question

Dgarvin,

This log is great reading. What does AVO/USGS “yellow”, “orange”, and “white” really mean?

Hi Male Mule, welcome to BAUT.

Here is an explanation of the alert system.

There are actually two alert systems, the color codes are alerts for aviation, the activity level system goes: Normal, Advisory, Watch, and Warning. Details are on that website.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

White usualy means there is a lack of monitoring, it's basicialy the same as condigtion green, but it means that it is an unmonitored volcano.

The elevated tempuratures have dimished and seismic actitivy seem to be decreasing as well at mt. Cleveland, suspect it will be downgraded to conidtion yellow this week, or next week.

Looks like I was spot on this time, Mt. Cleavland downgraded to Condition Yellow. No notable activity since May 9th.

Figures: after going to status Yellow, there was an explosion detected at Mt. Cleveland Yesterday, with elevated surface temperatures detected today on the summit.

Still Condition yellow and obsucred by clouds, but AVO has recived reports of a small ash out-gassing with a hugely foul smell of sulfer dioxide accompaning it, from nearby observers.

Was upgraded to condition orange again, a few minor ash eruptions and continuing sulfer dioxide emissions.

Just some updates here, on Jul 19th a pilot report ash cloud over Mt. Cleveland to 35,000ft height. Yesterday, elevated surface temperatures were noted on satellite images.

Mt. Cleveland Eruption underway. Web Cam images of Mt. Cleveland are showing a minor ash Eruption today, ongoing, with an ash cloud possibly in the 20,000ft height range. There have been no VONA or USGS alerts issued as of yet.
    Last edited by dgavin; 2012-Jul-19 at 07:35 PM. Reason: image link removed

Updates: Vona notices indicate Elavated surface temperature today, but no euprptive activity. After tracking down the web cam image I viewed in a news article and then the when I compared USGS one, the web cam image in the new article was altered to show todays date, instead of June 19th date. Removed the image link to the USGS one for now.

From USGS for this week

Elevated surface temperatures at the summit of Cleveland Volcano were observed in satellite data throughout the week, cloud cover permitting. Clear web camera views of the summit on Wednesday showed nothing unusual. Satellite data also indicates that the crater is covered with ash and ballistic blocks, but no lava dome is present on the crater floor. AVO has received no reports of activity from mariners or pilots in the vicinity of the volcano.

A gas/steam plume was visible on webcam images yesterday, volcano has been obsured otherwise by clouds most of the week.

Another mminor explosiove event at Mt. Cleveland on the 4th, followed by some steam/gass emmisions.

Mt. Cleveland was upgraded to Condition Orange on the 6th of Feb. It started drowing a new lava dome around Jan 24th, which is already at a height of 100m (328 ft.)