Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Believers? What do you think alien spacecraft are here?

  1. #1

    Believers? What do you think alien spacecraft are here?

    Just wondering, because I see frequent references to "UFOs" where it's clear that the person is saying "alien spacecraft", unrestrained by the "U". So, why do you believe?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,871
    What's the conspiracy here, that references to "UFOs" are secretly intended to mean "ET craft?"
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    What's the conspiracy here, that references to "UFOs" are secretly intended to mean "ET craft?"
    Many people claim that the UFOs are actually alien spacecraft, but they "weasel" around that claim. I see it constantly. It's like they have an agreement to not sound like total berks by saying "UFO" when they mean "alien spacecraft". OR the idea sounds so absurd, even to them, that they choke on it. So, have they clubbed together to reach this agreement?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,738
    Actually I think that the press is partially to blame for this. It started with the 1947 Kenneth Arnold sighting, and the coining of the term "flying saucer". This later became replaced by "ufo", but the implication remained: extraterrestrial spacecraft. The man in the street today immediately makes this association.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    Just wondering, because I see frequent references to "UFOs" where it's clear that the person is saying "alien spacecraft", unrestrained by the "U". So, why do you believe?
    This probably isn't the best place to ask that. Most folks on this board are pretty careful about the distinction between "UFO" and "space aliens."

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    Many people claim that the UFOs are actually alien spacecraft, but they "weasel" around that claim. I see it constantly. It's like they have an agreement to not sound like total berks by saying "UFO" when they mean "alien spacecraft". OR the idea sounds so absurd, even to them, that they choke on it. So, have they clubbed together to reach this agreement?
    It's just a term that entered popular culture decades ago. Even back in 1970 there was a TV series called "UFO" that was about invading space aliens.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,963
    Smart UFO investigators these days use the term UAP, unidentified aerial phenomena. That is because many of the sightings are caused by distant celestial objects or optical phenomena, neither of which can in any sense of the word be described as 'flying'.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    This probably isn't the best place to ask that. Most folks on this board are pretty careful about the distinction between "UFO" and "space aliens."
    Indeed.
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Smart UFO investigators these days use the term UAP, unidentified aerial phenomena. That is because many of the sightings are caused by distant celestial objects or optical phenomena, neither of which can in any sense of the word be described as 'flying'.
    Yeah but UFO organizations continue to peddle that the most likely solution is alien spaceships. However, they won't exactly say this. The Fund for UFO research site states the following:

    While physical proof of the extraterrestrial origin of UFOs is not in the hands of civilian investigators, there is a growing mass of evidence that points to the distinct possibility that some UFOs represent the presence, near the Earth, of a non-human intelligence.

    Other terms I have seen are "structured craft operating under intelligent control" or "unidentified aerial vehicle". These are all buzz words in UFOlogy to point directly towards the ETH. These are the same organizations that declare the Roswell incident was due to a crash of a "UFO" with aliens aboard.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by astrophotographer View Post
    Yeah but UFO organizations continue to peddle that the most likely solution is alien spaceships. However, they won't exactly say this. The Fund for UFO research site states the following:

    While physical proof of the extraterrestrial origin of UFOs is not in the hands of civilian investigators, there is a growing mass of evidence that points to the distinct possibility that some UFOs represent the presence, near the Earth, of a non-human intelligence.

    Other terms I have seen are "structured craft operating under intelligent control" or "unidentified aerial vehicle". These are all buzz words in UFOlogy to point directly towards the ETH. These are the same organizations that declare the Roswell incident was due to a crash of a "UFO" with aliens aboard.
    Again, that's the "'conspiracy" to avoid looking like fruitcakes. "Some places" on the internet don't even allow discussion of the use of alternative words, the whole topic is taboo.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    Again, that's the "'conspiracy" to avoid looking like fruitcakes. "Some places" on the internet don't even allow discussion of the use of alternative words, the whole topic is taboo.
    So would you say that someone who believes there is intelligent life in the cosmos a fruitcake ?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by jpappl View Post
    So would you say that someone who believes there is intelligent life in the cosmos a fruitcake ?
    There's a fair distance between allowing for the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos, and believing that it's zapping around the US hinterland, making pretty patterns in wheat fields, eviscerating cattle and probing anything else that moves.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    There's a fair distance between allowing for the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos, and believing that it's zapping around the US hinterland, making pretty patterns in wheat fields, eviscerating cattle and probing anything else that moves.
    Oh, I agree with that statement.

    But the possibility does exist. It is more likely, with our current understanding of things, that we would see an unmanned probe. But then again, who knows what the ecounter will be like if it ever happens. They could be a million years beyond us.

    The point being that to equate someone, anyone just on that basis of being a wack job is wrong.

    Also, if you search there is no shortage of crazy sites promoting all sorts of crazy ideas and would surely welcome any who want to join them.

    But I don't equate the idea or concept of being visited whether in the past or future the same as do fairies exist ? for example.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,064
    Quote Originally Posted by jpappl View Post
    But I don't equate the idea or concept of being visited whether in the past or future the same as do fairies exist ? for example.
    There's about equal evidence, and some things that were claimed as evidence for the latter are now claimed as evidence for the former. So, yeah, it's about the same thing. (Well--I hold out the theoretical possibility for the future. I do believe that far more likely than fairies. However, "far more likely" is not the same as "probable.")
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    124
    Well--I hold out the theoretical possibility for the future. I do believe that far more likely than fairies. However, "far more likely" is not the same as "probable.")
    I agree.

    I also think that if we do, it may not happen for 500 years because it just happens that way.

    The other possibility is that we find them first. Who knows.

    But considering the sheer numbers involved I think if we are at this stage in our evolution and they (who managed to succeed as a species) are a million years beyond us it's pretty hard to imagine what they might be.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jpappl View Post
    So would you say that someone who believes there is intelligent life in the cosmos a fruitcake ?
    If they are, I must be one. Rather, I hope there is intelligent life in the cosmos, on the off chance they could show us what that would look like.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    If they are, I must be one. Rather, I hope there is intelligent life in the cosmos, on the off chance they could show us what that would look like.
    LOL, good one. Take care.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,738
    Up until now, there have been no believers to answer the OP's question... Just a bit of singing to the choir...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Up until now, there have been no believers to answer the OP's question... Just a bit of singing to the choir...
    Yeah, they tend to avoid the question. (All part of the conspiracy, of course. )

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,275
    To be fair, the thread title as written is thoroughly confusing. I assume the first word is meant to be "why" rather than "what", but it took me a few moments of head-scratching to figure that out.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    To be fair, the thread title as written is thoroughly confusing. I assume the first word is meant to be "why" rather than "what", but it took me a few moments of head-scratching to figure that out.
    That's teach to you let me start threads.

Similar Threads

  1. Alien spacecraft lands in major city.
    By invisible in forum Life in Space
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 2011-Jul-25, 04:52 PM
  2. What do Hoax Believers believe ?
    By Jack5 in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2004-Jan-29, 06:37 PM
  3. How many believers really?
    By Dancar in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2003-May-16, 04:53 PM
  4. Believers in Planet X
    By mtnman in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2002-Dec-20, 04:00 PM
  5. For the believers in Sitchin
    By Paul Best in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2002-Oct-07, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: