Thread: M17 Omega (Swan) Nebula

M17 Omega (Swan) Nebula

'Twas a perfect night last night. I had a lovely family come to look at the heavens through the telescope, preceded by a laser-guided tour of the sky, followed by a bit of a photographic slide show and explanation of the life of stars.

After they left, the moon set and the sky remained clear, crisp, cold and sharp. Upper atmospherics were pretty stable and there was not a cloud or even suggestion of dew point being reached for the entire night.

I set the camera for a few 15 minute darks and left to watch a companionable movie with my wife while my target got up above the horizon. The movie finished an I got straight into it. No sleep on a night like that! Many layers of clothing, a beanbag, blanket and settled in for the night.

As dawn broke, i switched to taking flats of the evenly lit pre-dawn sky and packed it all up.

I got 22 x 15-minute exposures all up on the nebula. That's 5.5 hours total. I'm pretty chuffed to get that much data in one night. Last time it took me a week to get that much between clouds...

I locked it up, cooked my lovely wife some brekky and a cuppa before waking her, then sat down and enjoyed the treat with her (no mad rushing around this time) and off we wandered to work. Who says astronomy is bad for family life?....Though I reckon I will crash and burn later this afternoon...lol.

Hi Bazz, A Very beautiful swan and worth every minute!. Very nice fov in capturing other outer parts of the nebula and nice processing also. This will be my next target and I just posted M16 (09/04/28) and now capturing my color data for M20 if the rain clouds let me (day three so far). I hope you continue to have great weather so we can see more great captures from you. Clear Skies my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JAICOA View Post
    Hi Bazz, A Very beautiful swan and worth every minute!. Very nice fov in capturing other outer parts of the nebula and nice processing also. This will be my next target and I just posted M16 (09/04/28) and now capturing my color data for M20 if the rain clouds let me (day three so far). I hope you continue to have great weather so we can see more great captures from you. Clear Skies my friend.
    Thanks mate, I saw your M16! Very nice! Isn't this a wonderful hobby?

Looking forward to your M20 now...take your time, get lots of subs.

By the way, I recently trialled using some of my old darks and flats on new lights. I even subtracted some old 15-minute darks from 10-minute lights. They were all taken at different temperatures too...they worked out just fine!

Sure will!, Thanks .

o.0 Bazz that is a very nice picture, infact it is beautiful, thank you for sharing that.

clear skies

chrissy
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Thank you Chrissy, you are most welcome.

Baz.

I can hear the Cosmic Wings rustle.
    very very slowly, have been reading The Trumpet of the Swan, by E B White
    so I really appreciate, your composition gives me chance, to have lots of enjoyment and share with my baby.

Very nice Baz.
    Thanks for sharing

Great work. Your long exposures have brought out a lot of colour in an object that is so often rendered with lots of Ha. Lovely!

Thanks again everyone for blessing me with your fine comments and recognition! It's an amazing universe out there isn't it!?

Great job Baz. I admire your tenacity. I can never make through an entire night before I succomb to sleep ;-)

Kent