Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Copenhagen riddle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    31

    Copenhagen riddle

    A Copenhagen interpretation riddle:

    If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, was there a tree?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,088
    There are forests in Copenhagen?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,359
    ....now you say "forest" ..... but what do you really mean?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,310
    Is the cat alive or dead before you open the box in Schroedinger's experiment?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Disinfo Agent View Post
    Is the cat alive or dead before you open the box in Schroedinger's experiment?
    Depends, did the tree fall on it? And if so, what sound did the cat make?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,394
    Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    A Copenhagen interpretation riddle:

    If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, was there a tree?
    Actually, the question is: did the tree exist before the sound was generated? Maybe the tree was a wave function of tree falling probability, and only when the sound was heard did it enter the fallen tree state.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    And if so, what sound did the cat make?
    The cat meeowed:


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,394
    Problem 7 - Assume a five dimensional tree in an eleven dimensional forest...
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,915
    Problem 8: Assume a spherical tree of constant density in a frictionless forest...

    Nick

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    What species of tree was it?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    277
    If a man, in the forest, says something aloud, but there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf223 View Post
    If a man, in the forest, says something aloud, but there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Depends on whether or not what he said agrees with me.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    If Nelson Riddle attempted to lead his band today, would it make a sound?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,394
    A duck, a priest, and a Viking walk into a bar in Copenhagen...

    Oh, that's not what you meant by a Copenhagen riddle?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    The way I ask that particular question in bull sessions is:

    A tree falls in the woods with 50% probability and is thus in a superposition of states of "fallen" and "not fallen". If you later go to the woods and observe that the tree has, in fact, fallen, was there a sound?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,942
    According to the observer effect: if nobody has ever seen the tree then it has never become part of reality and it is in a similar state as Schrödinger's cat: still upright and fallen at the same time. When observed for the first time, it will be seen either upright or fallen. It will never have been heard falling (if it did fall).

    If, however, the tree was observed sometime in the past, then it is part of reality, and when it falls, can be heard, even though nobody sees it falling...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,394
    The Stockholm riddle is, if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, can Ikea still make a bookcase out of it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The Stockholm riddle is, if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, can Ikea still make a bookcase out of it.
    And the first Rimshot Award of the day goes to....

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    4,337
    If it was a forest, chances was there were at least several trees or tree-like objects.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    According to the observer effect: if nobody has ever seen the tree then it has never become part of reality and it is in a similar state as Schrödinger's cat: still upright and fallen at the same time. When observed for the first time, it will be seen either upright or fallen. It will never have been heard falling (if it did fall).

    If, however, the tree was observed sometime in the past, then it is part of reality, and when it falls, can be heard, even though nobody sees it falling...
    ok--we can see our cells, after all we see can see ourselves and are made up of cells. On the other hand, we cannot see our cells without putting them under a microscope.

    So, if you have never done the last, are your cells part of reality?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    More importantly, can a fallen tree be redeemed by confessing its sins? And if it is no longer fallen, does this introduce a logical paradox about any previously made sound?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,359
    The first thing you must understand is that there is no tree.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lost among the 160,000+ members
    Posts
    7,898
    So if the cat is dead and therefore does not observe the observer, is the observer alive and dead at the same time?

Similar Threads

  1. Does the Copenhagen interpretation require the existence of God?
    By parallaxicality in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 2012-Feb-20, 01:41 PM
  2. Copenhagen Suborbitals Launch Videos
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011-Jun-06, 01:10 PM
  3. Copenhagen Suborbital
    By Daggerstab in forum Space Exploration
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2011-Jun-05, 03:46 PM
  4. a riddle...OFF THE WALL RIDDLE
    By Chunky in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 2006-Oct-17, 12:56 PM
  5. Copenhagen and conservation of energy
    By AstroReader in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006-Jan-16, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: