Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out & aBAUT: Meeting up with other BAUTers on your travels

Out & aBAUT: Meeting up with other BAUTers on your travels

PetersCreek is visiting DC this week, and we're going to get together at a restaurant somewhere in the vicinity of Metro Center Thursday at 7:30 pm. If anyone wants to join us, let me know.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Well one thing is certain, our weather around here of late will make an Alaskan feel right a home....

Welcome to DC Brett. Seeing as how I'm currently using a webcam shot of Mt. Redoubt as my avatar, it would seem fitting to come. Have you picked a place yet?

Thanks for the welcome! Aside from the light misting I walked in during lunch, the mipd weather was pleasant. I mentioned to ToSeek that I had a hankering to try Ceiba again but if that's not to everyone's taste, I'm open to suggestions. I suppose we could even meet in the hotel restaurant. I'm at the Marriott at Metro Center.
    Brett's the name. Peters Creek is the place.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

Welcome to DC. Contrary to most grousing, its not that bad a place, unless you're driving.

Unfortunately, my situation has me pretty hosed at the moment, so I won't be able to meet, but do make the most of the place while you're here.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Aside from the light misting I walked in during lunch, the mipd weather was pleasant.
    Really? That's no good!

Stop by Colorado on your way - we're in the middle of a blizzard. Make you feel right at home!

Speaking of Colorado...

Any chance of renaming this sticky to something like "Out and A-BAUT!" so that others in other cities than those inside the Beltway can hook up?

Speaking of which... I'm now living in Colorado Springs. Anytime anyone wants to grab breakfast, lunch, or dinner, drop me a line - we'll make it happen!

- Mugs

Brett,
    Hope you had a good visit to DC. Unfortunately I work Thursday nights so I couldn't make it. Hopefully I'm free next time there's an informal get together.
    "I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - William Thompson, 1st Baron Lord Kelvin

"If it was so, it might be, and if it were so, it would be, but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" - Tweedledee

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong. - Wolfgang Pauli

I would have liked to be there myself, but unfortunately that was the night my parents stopped by my place on their annual migration north.

I was sorry not to have met other DC BAUTers but it was good to while away the dinner hour with ToSeek. If only the restaurant had been as quiet as my last visit there. Next time...whenever that may be...I hope we can have more folks in a more peaceful setting.

I do like the suggestion of retitling this thread Out & aBAUT. This week finds me in San Diego for some excruciatingly dull budget meetings.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

No photos to prove it...

Man I live on the wrong continent.
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...the mild weather was pleasant...This week finds me in San Diego...
    Bring your Speedos---we're having record heat!

Just by chance I will be in Balitimore on Thursday I might be able to make it could someone send me a location so I could see if its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by flynjack1 View Post
    Just by chance I will be in Balitimore on Thursday I might be able to make it could someone send me a location so I could see if its possible.
    Only if you have a time machine - the get-together was last Thursday. My apologies for neither specifying the date nor un-stickying the thread.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

oops ....should have looked at the post date. My aircraft go fast but not >FTL

For members here in the Northwest, the Washington State Renaissance Fantasy Faire is back on this year, which would be a fine chance to get together--and a nice day out for the family, too!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Oh, here, permit me, madam...
    August 1-2, 8-9, 15-16, 2009

The Washington Renaissance Fantasy Faire
    HAS MOVED
    TO BUCKLEY, WASHINGTON!!

Dragon*Con in Atlanta is also a good place to run into BAUT members.

What geonuc said.

Also, I have a suspicion that a fair number of BAUTfaehrer may be headed to Florida, to give STS-125 a festive sendoff.

For BAUTers in the North East of England, I notice there are at least 4 (including 3 Mods within 50 miles of each other, what are the odds?)of us quite close, we should organise a get together.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I agree Captain, how about in a couple of weeks time? Pick a day thats convenient to us all and we will have our own gathering...
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Now who's on the wrong side of the ocean?

Apparently, I'm on the wrong side of at least two.

Anyone visiting Thailand let me know.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Now who's on the wrong side of the ocean?
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek
    Apparently, I'm on the wrong side of at least two.
    Awwww now I feel really bad...

Cool! I hope ToSeek and PetersCreek have a nice meet/visit.

Oh...just now checked the date of ToSeek's post! {blush} I hope you had a nice visit.

Hello everyone. Nice to see this thread for travellers.
    I'm flying to Tennessee on Saturday for a business trip , is there anyone here that live nearby Lexington ?
    It would be nice to meet some Bauters while I'm there .

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpool View Post
    Hello everyone. Nice to see this thread for travellers.
    I'm flying to Tennessee on Saturday for a business trip , is there anyone here that live nearby Lexington ?
    It would be nice to meet some Bauters while I'm there .

I was considering going dancing in Nashville on Saturday night. I could do dinner down there. I don't know Nashville really well, though, as a warning.

Edit: Good to see you on the board, Whirlpool.

Whirlpool, I haven't heard a reply from you yet, and I doubt that I'll be able to make it to Nashville as early as I wanted to.

I apologize for posting this so late. I hope you had a good trip.

Hi Tobin,

I apologized too , i've been a bit busy the past few days before my trip.
    I just arrived tonight, here in Lexington and only got the chance to get online and read your reply.
    Well, I'm not familiar too with Nashville , and it's my first time to be here too.

I understand , that you cannot make it .

No worries, Whirlpool. I would offer to meet you on your way out, but I'm heading to Louisville tomorrow for a conference.

I hope you enjoy your stay. If the area southwest of Nashville is like the area northwest of Nashville, it's beautiful country.