Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Signs of Spring - Northern hemisphere

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    And not my favorite sign of spring, but the mosquitoes are already out in full force. Was outside last week for 10 min to grill some brats and now I have bites all over both arms. They're relentless.
    Already!?! Is that normal for Columbus - that seems really early to me.

One good sign, on a hike Saturday night, we saw a couple of bats flying around (probably Big Brown Bats). The populations around here have been hurt really badly by the White Nose fungus disease, and we hardly saw any last year. Maybe they are making a come-back.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Already!?! Is that normal for Columbus - that seems really early to me.
    What's the surprise? I've grilled stuff in the middle of winter before.

Oh wait... mosquitos...

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    What's the surprise? I've grilled stuff in the middle of winter before.

Oh wait... mosquitos...
    The worst thing, he was grilling naughty children!

Hey, if you know a more effective method of discipline than cannibalism, I'm all ears.

No, it's not normal for them to be out in droves this early. Usually we have the small ones here and there, but these suckers were full-blown monster'squitoes. The kind that left dime-sized splat marks when slapped. The bloody splatter is really satisfying until you realize it's your own blood exploding out of their swollen abdomen.

Well; he did say they were relentless. So what else can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    No, it's not normal for them to be out in droves this early.
    Yep; I had a bunch of them playing basketball in the neighborhood nearly all day Sunday.

Oh wait... Mosquitos...

Well, we certainly don't have the same signs of Spring as most of you but we have a few.

Back at the beginning of the month, the tripod was erected for the 2012 Nenana Ice Classic. It's an annual ice pool contest that awards a cash prize to the person(s) who correctly guess the date and time that ice on Tanana River breaks up enough to tip the tripod so that it stops the official clock.

I've noted a few more birds around the house lately (mostly Black-capped Chickadees) and our resident squirrel seems to be coming out of his nest more often. I've even found his tracks crossing the yard and driveway.

Still, it's been a harsh Winter and it's not done with us yet. We're still sitting at a cumulative snowfall of 129.4 inches, 3.3 inches shy of breaking the record 132.6 inches. We've been snow-free for quite a while now...so much so, that there are clear signs of sublimation on the sunlit sides of drifts. I can't say that we've had much melt-off, except from the roof due to heat loss and liberal application of ice melt to the ice dams.

The snow has pressured a lot of moose to venture into town in search of easier feeding. This marks the first year that I've seen signs of moose on our property (tracks and a damaged Mountain Ash tree) since we bought the house 8 years ago. We're in the wooded outskirts of the municipality but until now, moose have never found our property as attractive as the bears have.
    Brett's the name. Peters Creek is the place.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

Let me be the first to post in the actual spring.
    Well, the first person after the equinox. Different cultures count spring from different days.

There are frogs in the wetlands by the community college, and the cherry trees are in bloom down by Capitol Lake.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Yep; I had a bunch of them playing basketball in the neighborhood nearly all day Sunday.

Oh wait... Mosquitos...
    Who knew mosquitos played basketball. Did they make the Sweet Sixteen?

Here is sunny SoCal., there are only two real seasons, cool-sunny and nice-sunny. Right now, there's more daylight and rains had come.

Oh, no--there's also "Oh, Gods, I'm melting" sunny. Which is why I don't live there anymore.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Did they make the Sweet Sixteen?
    Wrong insect, you might be thinking honeybees.

Quote Originally Posted by Githyanki View Post
    Here is sunny SoCal., there are only two real seasons, cool-sunny and nice-sunny. Right now, there's more daylight and rains had come.
    When I lived in Louisiana, the two seasons were described as "summer" and "not summer", with each lasting about 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, the first person after the equinox. Different cultures count spring from different days.
    Google.dk's doodle today is a rather epic fail, it's a "first day of spring" doodle, and just to show how truly idiotically US-centric their thinking is about it, they linked the click on it to a Google search for "Første forårsdag" which is correct Danish for "First day of Spring" and every single hit on the front page celebrates The First of March which is the day we count spring from.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

When I can go outside without a set of pajama bottoms on under my jeans.

First time was today!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    When I can go outside without a set of pajama bottoms on under my jeans.

First time was today!
    Thank God I finished BigDon's sentence, so I could avoid that picture in my head. Oh, signs of spring? NCAA tourney, and UConn women win!
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Silly dog eats all the flower but not the weeds. My garden is getting greener every day, but it's weeds only. Sigh...the garden really looks like a mess now.

Quote Originally Posted by Githyanki View Post
    When I lived in Louisiana, the two seasons were described as "summer" and "not summer", with each lasting about 6 months.
    In Houston, it's two seasons... summer and February.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Silly dog eats all the flower but not the weeds. My garden is getting greener every day, but it's weeds only. Sigh...the garden really looks like a mess now.
    We've had our house for 7 years, and only planted flowers two years ago. No problem. Tried again last year, and the dogs kept eating the flowers. I guess we bought a tastier type of flower the second time around...

Last of the snow melted from my back lawn some time early yesterday.

First sign of Spring up here is when the ice clears the Saint John River. Of course the past couple of years, that has happened in February and March, so we may need new signs of spring. Usually we'd be in the full on melt this time of year, and watching the river for flooding, but this year everything happened a month early. Now everyone's out BBQing, biking and so forth, though mornings are a bit chilly still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In Houston, it's two seasons... summer and February.
    The joke here is that we have three seasons: Winter, Breakup, and Contstruction...but that doesn't count moose season, the salmon seasons (runs), etc.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

Daffodils, followed (for me) by sneezing... The hazlenuts try to bud well before srping actually arrives. And the summer geese (resident at out place) replace the winter geese.

My multiplum has already bore and dropped friut on one branch and the other varities have set fruit and are swelling nicely.

That reminds me, I need some SulPoMag for my fruit. For the magnesium. Makes the fruit sweeter.

The ultimate sign of Washington spring--people are complaining that it's only sunny while they're at work and that it starts raining again the minute their day is over and they can go outside.

"You can't erase icing."

Spring proceeds apace. The 5-to-6-foot snow berm in my yard is down to about 3-to-4 feet.

My multiplum has already bore and dropped friut on one branch and the other varities have set fruit and are swelling nicely.

That reminds me, I need some SulPoMag for my fruit. For the magnesium. Makes the fruit sweeter.
    A little further north, my apricot tree has only just begun to bloom but the flowering plums (which I despise) are about done. And I've just finished mowing the lawn for the second time.

Which somehow reminds me that 21 years ago at about this time, I was in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was hard to get around it being Autumn and looking North toward the sun.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

So no plums for you?

Hmmm, I see you have a smokehouse.

Maybe we can come to an accord. What's a fair exchange rate for plums, oranges and strawberries vs bacon, sausage and ham? Pound-wise.

Oops. Sorry Treb, you snuck in a post when I was typing to Mr. Creek.

Should have quoted him.

Oops. Sorry Treb, you snuck in a post when I was typing to Mr. Creek.

Should have quoted him.
    No worries, mate! I figured you weren't talking to me when you mentioned the smokehouse.

One of the problems with the flowering plums is...no plums. They're just decorative. And that's when they're little. They have extremely untidy growth habits and send suckers up all over your yard from the roots, which tend to be just three inches down but can send up shoots 25 feet away. The shoots aren't even decorative; the trees are grafted onto hardier rootstock so the scions have green leaves instead of red and no pretty pink blossoms.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Sounds like time for drastic measures Treb.

Have you tried poison-oak killer?

That bright orange stuff even kills mature pampas grass with four or five applications.

Think of a lovely apple tree in its place. I tended several apple trees for years until their owners passed away, one by one. (I live in the same place I grew up in and I would tend the gardens of the parents of my childhood friends who had moved away.)