Thread: Geologic Map of North America

Geologic Map of North America

Wow! I just opened the tube containing my Geologic Map of North America, which I ordered from the Geological Society of America. What an incredible effort - the level of detail is astounding. It comes in three rolled sheets, two showing the geology and a third with the rock unit descriptions.

I can see myself studying this map for hours, provided I first find a place to hang it. The two map sheets are each a huge 3 1/2 x 6 feet! The third is slightly smaller. Where am I gonna put them?

In your laboratory of course!

Geonuc they are some large pictures, what does your wife say about them? Do you have a spare room, like where you keep all your rock samples etc, if not maybe they have to stay in the tube when your not looking at them.
    It would be interesting to see especially the volcanoes. Lucky you.
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Did you receive this map in it's entirety, or is it in sections? If it is one "poster" than I would have it matted and framed. It would be perfect in my living room. It really is beautiful and looks like a piece of art. I've created a shortcut and will ask the hubby to check it out, maybe I will get it as a gift. :surprised

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    Geonuc they are some large pictures, what does your wife say about them? Do you have a spare room, like where you keep all your rock samples etc, if not maybe they have to stay in the tube when your not looking at them.
    It would be interesting to see especially the volcanoes. Lucky you.
    Good idea - time to renovate and add a spare room.

Quote Originally Posted by megrfl View Post
    Did you receive this map in it's entirety, or is it in sections? If it is one "poster" than I would have it matted and framed. It would be perfect in my living room. It really is beautiful and looks like a piece of art.
    It comes in three sections, all quite large. It is beautiful.

I just think of all the field work that went into making the map - incredible.

Lovely maps Geonuc, good purchase!
    As for where to hang them, I think you'll be enormously pleased to know that a) I like maps and b) there is a blank space on my living room wall that is, coincidently, 3'5" x 6'.

Quote Originally Posted by PraedSt View Post
    Lovely maps Geonuc, good purchase!
    As for where to hang them, I think you'll be enormously pleased to know that a) I like maps and b) there is a blank space on my living room wall that is, coincidently, 3'5" x 6'.
    Dang! Too bad there are two sections 3 1/2 x 6 feet and third not much smaller. Otherwise, of course, I'd send the map off to you.

Let me know how you get on Geonuc. I hope you manage to get them hung up as it would be a shame if they were hidden in a tube only to see the light when you take them out.

Praedst, I have dibs on them first.

chrissy
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

...is also a “thinking map,” a source for new interpretations of the geology of North America, insights into the evolution of the continent, new exploration strategies for the discovery of mineral and energy resources, and the development of better ways to assess and mitigate environmental risks and geologic hazards...
    GSA Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    ...Where am I gonna put them?
    Some ceiling, perhaps?
    Last edited by sarongsong; 2008-Oct-28 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    Praedst, I have dibs on them first.
    Hey! How?? I asked first! Bullying your way to the front of the queue isn't going to work, Miss.

Dang! Too bad there are two sections 3 1/2 x 6 feet and third not much smaller.

I must never use Imperial units. I must never use Imperial units. I must never use...

*poke*

I don't need to bully

I have plenty of walls spare large enough to accommodate them.

Those maps are indeed works of art, and they are indeed the result of an enormous amount of labor. To get a feel for what goes into one, I recommend John McPhee's Rising from the Plains. OK, I recommend his whole geology cycle, collected in Annals of the Former World.

There is also Simon Winchester's The Map That Changed the World.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Those maps are indeed works of art, and they are indeed the result of an enormous amount of labor. To get a feel for what goes into one, I recommend John McPhee's Rising from the Plains. OK, I recommend his whole geology cycle, collected in Annals of the Former World.

I totally agree, Mike. McPhee may be my favorite writer.

The map comes with a paper that details not only how the map was made in terms of source data, scale and such, but also has an extensive discussion on prior efforts, including some rather old maps. I haven't read it all yet, but it looks interesting.

Here's another vote or recommendation for this book. I have read McPhee's stuff, too, and liked that, but The Map That Changed the World really puts all this geo mapping stuff into a broader context of science and society.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    Here's another vote or recommendation for this book. I have read McPhee's stuff, too, and liked that, but The Map That Changed the World really puts all this geo mapping stuff into a broader context of science and society.
    I have that book, as well. However, it failed to keep my interest the first time I picked it up. Given the endorsements here, I transferred the book from the geology section in my library to the 'to be read' shelf (which has way too many books already).

The two map sheets are each a huge 3 1/2 x 6 feet! The third is slightly smaller. Where am I gonna put them?
    I see that the two main sheets overlap. Can they be displayed overlapped without obscuring anything? What is the size when that is done? 6 feet by 6 feet?

I have that book, as well. However, it failed to keep my interest the first time I picked it up. Given the endorsements here, I transferred the book from the geology section in my library to the 'to be read' shelf (which has way too many books already).
    My bold.

Stacks here... stacks there... shelves are reserved for finished volumes, and they are overfull. Then there are the unread pdf's on my hard drive. I could retire and never run out; yikes.

I too, recommend the story of William Smith.

It warms me to see so many McPheeniacs out there.

Winchester's book is good, but the flow of writing doesn't rise to JMcP's level.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    It warms me to see so many McPheeniacs out there.

Winchester's book is good, but the flow of writing doesn't rise to JMcP's level.
    I was fortunate that "Annals" was my first. I didn't have to go looking for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1 View Post
    I see that the two main sheets overlap. Can they be displayed overlapped without obscuring anything? What is the size when that is done? 6 feet by 6 feet?
    Probably something close to that, although I'm reluctant to trim the edge off one of the sheets. But, it's an option, to be sure.

My first McPhee was Assembling California, which I read while in a California State University geology program. Along with that, I have on my McPhee shelf:

The Control of Nature
    Encounters With the Archdruid
    Basin and Range
    In Suspect Terrain
    Rising From the Plains
    Table of Contents
    Levels of the Game
    The Ransom of Russian Art
    Looking for a Ship
    The Pine Barrens
    The Curve of Binding Energy
    Annals of the Former World

Probably something close to that, although I'm reluctant to trim the edge off one of the sheets. But, it's an option, to be sure.

My first McPhee was Assembling California, which I read while in a California State University geology program. Along with that, I have on my McPhee shelf:

The Control of Nature
    Encounters With the Archdruid
    Basin and Range
    In Suspect Terrain
    Rising From the Plains
    Table of Contents
    Levels of the Game
    The Ransom of Russian Art
    Looking for a Ship
    The Pine Barrens
    The Curve of Binding Energy
    Annals of the Former World
    You had to go and list some books that I do not have.

Ah, I was wondering if they came overlap-able. Guess not, that's too bad. That'd be an impressive display.

This will have to do. I put it up with about one inch of map overlap (or would that be underlap) to make it easier to follow from one sheet to another. No room on this wall for the rock description sheet, which is kind of key, I think.

Shows my American bias, I suppose. A Canadian might put it up with the top sheet in full and the overlap across the bottom one. A Mexican or Central American wins out either way.

I love this map. That great swath of green running down from mid-western Canada into the American plains shows as Cretaceous sedimentary rock. I had no idea.

That great swath of green running down from mid-western Canada into the American plains shows as Cretaceous sedimentary rock. I had no idea.
    The great North American Inland Sea

You've convinced me, I'm going to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1 View Post
    The great North American Inland Sea

You've convinced me, I'm going to buy it
    Oh, yeah. I vaguely recall my historical geology prof mentioning that.

Cool. Did I mention that I get a commission for all BAUT sales of the map?

McPhee's Irons in the Fire is excellent, especially the title story and the one about forensic geology, The Gravel Page.

Irons in the Fire has been added to my 'to buy' list.

The 'to be read' shelf will have to annex neighboring territory soon. I'm a very, very slow reader.

Cool I want one!