Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world is going to end December 31st, 2099!

The world is going to end December 31st, 2099!

I was doing some stuff on my computer and had to see which day of the week a particular date in the future fell. So I click on the little date and time box on the bottom right of my screen (windows XP). I advanced the year and found the information I was looking for.

Then I got curious. I started advancing the years farther and faster. It got to 2099 then rolled over to 1980! We're stuck in a time loop, doomed to repeat the same 120 year period over and over forever!!!

I only hope I make some better choices the next time around. Good luck to you all.

It also proves the world didn't exist before 1980.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hey, you guys joke, but that's the Y2100 bug. Programmers will spend the 2090's dealing with that one.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Hey, you guys joke, but that's the Y2100 bug. Programmers will spend the 2090's dealing with that one.
    Fortunately Windows: Horizons (tm) and Windows: Horizons Media Edition (tm) will have SP-3b to deal with the issue. It's the Horizons Server Edition (tm) that will be a problem.

Well I guess that solves many problems in one fell swoop.

2039 on my mac. Does that mean my reality ends and everyone else carries on? Heck, one up for windoze.

No, during the Anti-Machine Rebellion of 2084 all computers were destroyed and their programmers were hung from the nearest trees. By 2099 civilization has rebuild to the level of technology of about 1600.

Oh... but maybe I've said too much.
    Never mind.

yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
    Then I got curious. I started advancing the years farther and faster. It got to 2099 then rolled over to 1980! We're stuck in a time loop, doomed to repeat the same 120 year period over and over forever!!!
    But surely, that cannot be logical......Ok Spock...tell you what...
    i'll send you one of these, nearer the time. Like 2045.

http://www.stanleylondon.com/clockcalendar.htm

well-crafted, hand-made stuff what!
    gee that leaves me only about ten or so minutes, plus an hour for GMT offset!

These are updated every so often and will go waaaay past 2099!

so blow the stuff on your computer....

"I only hope I make some better choices the next time around."

I am going to invest in a company called "Microsoft"

The Sleeper Awakes

Pre-Y2K there was a story going around, and I've probably forgotten exactly how it went, but it basically was like this:

The year is 9,990, and a fellow from the 1990s, who's been kept frozen all that time, is revived. There's a short "Welcome to the world of tomorrow" bit and then a spokesman steps up to explain why they revived him. He says, "We have a lot of old code that our programmers aren't familiar with, and we have this Y10K problem coming up. Our records indicate you are a programmer, but they're incomplete. So, we have a very important question. Do you know COBOL?"

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I just tried this on my linux machine. I'm up to Jan 2556 and there seems no sign of it stopping there...

"Hi, i am a Linux. I am immortal."

How can the world end in 2099 when it's already ending on December 21, 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    How can this be if it's already destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    It will be rebuilt in the Magrathea factory.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    How can this be if it's already destroyed?
    In that case I can stop planning my trip to Arkansas in November. Does this mean I can stop paying my bills?

You know you're a skeptic when you see a headline about the World Is Going To End, and you think: Big Deal!

Kay: Did he say anything to you?
    James Edwards: Yeah, that the world is coming to an end.
    Kay: Did he say when?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    You know you're a skeptic when you see a headline about the World Is Going To End, and you think: Big Deal!
    That one goes into my quotes file

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Wink Joe (everything) Boy

Fear not friends--the world is not going to end--I shouldn't be telling you this but sometimes I feel guilty knowing that many of you worry about such things--I was born in 1950--those of you who think they were born prior to that are in error--you were all put here to amuse me that year and people were subsequently added as time went on for the same purpose--I have everthing under control and can assure you that I am amused and you are all doing a very good job--well, except for a few that is--anyway, keep up the good work and continue to enjoy your illusion--kindest regards--joe (please try to keep the friendship requests down, I will be holding it to four until further notice)

No reason to be overly optimistic

Quote Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
    I was doing some stuff on my computer and had to see which day of the week a particular date in the future fell. So I click on the little date and time box on the bottom right of my screen (windows XP). I advanced the year and found the information I was looking for.

I only hope I make some better choices the next time around. Good luck to you all.
    I'm sorry, but have to spoil your plans.
    Checked yesterday the conference room booking schedule of my company and - lo and behold - it doesn't advance any further than 2010! That's the very day the world is going to end! Obviously, there is something I don't know but the CEO does! This must be true, since Rumsfeld has been on the board a couple of years ago.
    Good night and good luck

Extracelestial

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by Extracelestial View Post
    I'm sorry, but have to spoil your plans.
    Checked yesterday the conference room booking schedule of my company and - lo and behold - it doesn't advance any further than 2010! That's the very day the world is going to end! Obviously, there is something I don't know but the CEO does! This must be true, since Rumsfeld has been on the board a couple of years ago.
    Good night and good luck

Extracelestial
    of course a positive attitude towards ourselves, Humanity , would be better in the end

Don't worry. By then Microsoft will have perfected the Quantum Computer which will provide a very useful uncertainty principle dating protocol. The only tech holding them back right now is marketing the currently cumbersome hard drive that runs within a 100 gallon tank of liquid nitrogen, but by 2089 they'll have that licked.

Considering what I have seen some techies do to keep their overclocked munchkin machines from over heating, I am surprised that is such a negative selling point.
    As for the world ending, it is like the old Canadian joke,
    "The World will End at Midnight. . . eleven thirty in Newfoundland."

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    ...that runs within a 100 gallon tank of liquid nitrogen, but by 2089 they'll have that licked.
    I've found that it's unwise to lick tanks of liquid nitrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
    I've found that it's unwise to lick tanks of liquid nitrogen.
    Did you determine that experimentally?

Why do you athk?

Quote Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
    Why do you athk?
    Becauthe thomething about your thpeech ith thtrange

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Ouch!
    Liquid Oxygen boils at a slightly warmer temperature than Liquid Nitrogen, so a drop of that might unstuck the lick.

(Then have some Albondigas Soup with jalapeños for a complete cure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Obviously, somebody triple-dog dared him.

Cool My Prediction

Well the world was supposed to end like in 1960,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004 in the past but now they are saying the world is going to end in 2012 - 2099 im sure it well happen on December 31st 2099 because its for our own good so we dont start the next generation 3000. We do not need to start another generation because right now with politics and the weather and all its starting to get worse and worse every time.This is only my prediction so far