Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 3,001 to 3,008 of 3008

Thread: What are you reading?

Agree completely with the 'way to long' part - the accuracy was in the flint knapping and primitive skills bits - although some of those stretched the envelope of credibility.

What kind of gets me is that Ayla and people she knows invented everything. Domestication? Check. The atlatl? Check. Ceramics? Check. The sports bra? Check. It gets if anything more boring than the "relationship" stuff. (I have for years referred to them as "prehistoric romance novels.") I didn't finish the last one, because she kept giving the same three lectures about surviving in the neolithic that she'd been giving for the previous four books. Some of which I'd already learned in Girl Scouts.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well, after all, "Ayla" is the Cro-Magnon word for "Mary-Sue."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    What kind of gets me is that Ayla and people she knows invented everything. Domestication? Check. The atlatl? Check. Ceramics? Check. The sports bra? Check. It gets if anything more boring than the "relationship" stuff. (I have for years referred to them as "prehistoric romance novels.") I didn't finish the last one, because she kept giving the same three lectures about surviving in the neolithic that she'd been giving for the previous four books. Some of which I'd already learned in Girl Scouts.
    Yes.

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants, "Destination Moon"

Clare read the first four books. By the 4th book she was very very bored with the explicit detail. She will be amused by the "relationship" euphemism (complete with air quotes).

I did initially mean actual relationship. Jondalar irritates me deeply. He needs to grow up, and from what I can tell, he never really does. This time through, I'm coming to the conclusion that he's actually emotionally abusive, and it's a shame no one invents therapy or interventions or something.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

If you think that now, just wait until you get to the final book. It gets worse.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Most of the men (including Broud) seem to be more caricatures or stereotypes of men that Auel knew or fantasized about, in my opinion. To put it another way, I think the male characters and Ayla's "relationships" with them tell us more about Auel than anything else.

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants, "Destination Moon"