Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's my Light sabre?

Hmm, it may not be able to deflect projectiles but it may make a dandy of a close quarters weapon. If the blade was to generate from the hilt in true Star Wars fashion, it could be easily packed away.

But blasters and a LOT of the pop-sci-fi guns seem to shoot "energy" that is a LOT slower than a bullet.

I mean even large caliber rounds (like .30 and .50) move too fast for you to SEE under 100 meters. They are large enough but traveling so fast your eye doesn't have time to track it.

But blaster and phasers... you can see those shots coming!

My six year old could dodge them!

I know... I've seen those 1st graders playing dodge ball and some of them throw faster than most Stormtroopers' shots travel!

Here's a fun game I played once when I had a bunch of those "Glo Stiks". Put about a teaspoon of sand in a bagie. Then add the contents of one or two "Glo Stiks". Make several of these and throw them at your friends. Play by the same rules that you would in a mud ball fight or a snow ball fight. At night indoors with the lights off it looks just like a Star Wars blaster fight.

Just be careful - those glo-sticks often have chemicals that act as an irritant if you get any on you.

Personally, I find it much easier to use glow-in-the-dark juggling balls for the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Lambert
    Just be careful - those glo-sticks often have chemicals that act as an irritant if you get any on you.

Personally, I find it much easier to use glow-in-the-dark juggling balls for the same effect.
    How about fire flys and a pea shooter!

Any know if they do glowign the dark paint balls?

A light sabre...hmmm? All I know about them is that they are supposed to be sooo hot that when you cut someone they don't bleed cuz they've been coterized (however you spell it, it sounds that way at least)

And I do know how to make the cool "throom" sound. You can buy them at disneyland! It is a sword looking thing, like the cheap light up ones made of plastic and they vibrate...when you swing the sword around really quick as its vibrating, it makes the "throom" sound!! I was so excited!!!!

The appearance in the movie would suggest that sabers vibrate at a high frequency or a molecular level instead of being just "very hot"... Otherwise the Jedi's clothes should be burned out by the hot air around the saber (and their facial hair as well )

Frankly I see no evidence of heat coming directly from the sabers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGirlAgainstMainStream
    And I do know how to make the cool "throom" sound. You can buy them at disneyland! It is a sword looking thing, like the cheap light up ones made of plastic and they vibrate...when you swing the sword around really quick as its vibrating, it makes the "throom" sound!! I was so excited!!!!
    Vibrate... Plastic.....Ooer missus!

Sorry..... cheap shot [-X
    (hangs head in shame)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A wookie is for life not just for christmass

it wasn't my idea...it was just what they had...and I read the thing about the heat thing in some star wars book...

I don't know...I thought it was interesting how these people went into such detail about just light sabres let alone all the other details in the movies

Any know if they do glowign the dark paint balls?

Yes they make agitators for paintball guns.

You are all so very wrong. Light sabers can be had from Bud K knife company. Here's a link, my young jedi.

Goofy toy prop, but it sure costs as much as a real weapon.
    http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?...p;partno=sw112

As a follow up.....
    Am I right it saying that lightsabres were always held in both hands duringa fight?

I used to fence and I know that if you use both hands it limits your range of moves and they cant be that heavy because they are worn on a simple belt.

I can understand a 2 hand grip on the double Lightsabres because they were like quarter staffs. But the normal ones are more like sabres (hence the name doh! #-o )

Also why did the Jedi/Sith stop using the double ones? Seems a step backward to me...

P.S yes I know its only a film

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus
    As a follow up.....
    Am I right it saying that lightsabres were always held in both hands duringa fight?
    No. Darth Vader manipulated his sabre single-handed in his duel wtih Luke on Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back. As I recall, it was a directorial decision that did generate some controversy.

The Kurosawa influences presumably mean the light "sabres" were meant to be used as katanas, so they really should be used two-handed.

The appearance in the movie would suggest that sabers vibrate at a high frequency or a molecular level instead of being just "very hot"...
    That IS being very hot...

Also why did the Jedi/Sith stop using the double ones? Seems a step backward to me...
    Probably because the double-ended ones were insanely dangerous - it's really easy to accidentally cut yourself in half. The range of movements you can make without killing yourself is limited, and it's a lot harder to effectively block with one. They also require a lot more room to use properly. You'd have to be really good to use one safely and effectively.

The lightsabre dueling shows influence of of Aikido.

I remember reading in the book for Attack of the Clones that Count Dooku used the older different fighting style. They described as more like fencing.

In regards to the monofillament thing, would it be possible to create some sort of edged weapon with an edge just an atom or two wide? I realize you'd kill it the first time you hit something, unless you had some sort of exotic material (some sort of diamond/titanium alloy or something perhaps). But would it be possible?

Broken glass can have an edge that is only a molecule wide.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by thkaufm
    In regards to the monofillament thing, would it be possible to create some sort of edged weapon with an edge just an atom or two wide? I realize you'd kill it the first time you hit something, unless you had some sort of exotic material (some sort of diamond/titanium alloy or something perhaps). But would it be possible?

Tom

So there's the answer! Just break the end off a beer bottle and instant light sabre!

So there's the answer! Just break the end off a beer bottle and instant light sabre!
    Yup, that's it. I knew it was an ancient weapon.