Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: A planet can alter its course??????

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12

    A planet can alter its course??????

    I always check out "ZetaTalk, What's New" so I know what I'm up against with my mom and sis. (they still believe.) Anyway here's a quote:

    "Thus, in passing and avoiding the Sun, Planet X had obviously changed it path and veered to the right. Is this not what the Westoverton key crop circle implies?"

    I guess that answers what she'll say next. This is going to go on forever.
    #-o #-o

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,022
    PX apparently undergoes Brownian Motion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    141
    Remember: winged globe. Flap Flap Flap Flap. \/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,038
    Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.
    You should have copyrighted that idea. Now you know she's going to steal it. :wink:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shade
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.
    You should have copyrighted that idea. Now you know she's going to steal it. :wink:
    Actually once an idea is put into a tanglible form it is copyrighted. Registering with the copyright office gives you more weight when it comes time to sue. So, Chuck, print out this page and keep it. Then when Nancy tries to use your idea you can sue her. :wink:

    If anybody is interested in copyright law, I have a few links I can post.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,165
    Please do post the links! 8)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,752
    That doesn't apply to me, though. Or does it?

  9. #9
    That's what you get when you have a woman driving a planet; they can never make up their mind where to go. :P

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermonter
    Please do post the links! 8)
    http://www.keytlaw.com/Copyrights/Register.htm

    http://www.blue-n-gold.com/halfdan/resources.htm

    http://www.serve.com/marbeth/music_copyright.html

    http://www.promusicforum.com/articles/copyrights.html

    http://www.dejaygold.com/copyright.html

    Here is a quicky 411 on copyright:

    Copyrighting Your Music

    In 1870, Congress passed a law moving registration of copyrights from the federal courts to the Library of Congress. In 1897, Thorvald Solberg, not yet a household name, became the first Register of Copyrights and served in that capacity until 1930. Today, the Library of Congress is still the place to go to register your copyright.

    Your creative work is protected by copyright as soon as it is created and "fixed" in a tangible form such as film, a sound recording, etc. However, to fully protect your rights in a court of law it is vitally important to register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office, which is part of the Library of Congress. Having done that, you get a certificate of registration and your work is a matter of public record. Then, if it becomes necessary to sue to protect your rights, you have proof of the originality and authenticity of your work.

    To register, you need to submit the correct application form, a non-refundable filing fee of $30, and a non-returnable copy (or copies) of your work. For forms and more information, contact the U.S. Copyright Office via the mail, online, by phone, or even in person.

    The Library of Congress
    Copyright Office
    101 Independence Ave. S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20559-6000

    There is a 24-hours-per-day forms hotline at (202) 707-9100. Once your completed application is accepted, it can take as long as eight months to process.

    For copyright forms, registration information, etc, go to http://www.lcweb.loc.gov/copyright


    Probably more than you'll ever want to know about copyright. The above sites lean more toward music, but it also applies to other media.

    TSC: this might apply to you depending on the circumstances.

    Dragonlor: I'm not even going to touch on what you said. :wink:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,752
    Nuts! Well, I can find a way... :wink:

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,038
    I hereby put my volcano idea into public domain. I don't want to be swamped with royalty checks for the rest of my life.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    718
    Chuck


    You are a scholar and a gentleman.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shade
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.
    You should have copyrighted that idea. Now you know she's going to steal it. :wink:
    You can't copyright an idea. Only a particular expression of that idea, and it has to be longer than a phrase or slogan.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    117
    QUOTE : " You can't copyright an idea. Only a particular expression of that idea, and it has to be longer than a phrase or slogan."

    IIRC ; salman rushdie has copyright rights to the slogan :

    " a mars a day helps you work rest and play "

    from the ad campaign for the mars bar

    if UK and US laws are at oddds , then shoot me

    YRS - APE

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,527
    I don't know a thing about copyright law but I would think trademarks and ad slogans were a different category.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by swansont
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shade
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.
    You should have copyrighted that idea. Now you know she's going to steal it. :wink:
    You can't copyright an idea. Only a particular expression of that idea, and it has to be longer than a phrase or slogan.
    Johnny Carson was able to get the phrase "Heeeeeere's Johnny" protected. There was a business that was trying to use the phrase for their product (toilet obviously :wink: ) and found that they could not use it. I would think "Heeeere's Johnny" would qualify as a phrase and/or slogan. There might be some loopholes or whatever that covers the above, but I'm no expert on the subject.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    360
    I was rather suprised when Fox News said they had a copyright on the phrase "fair and balance". I had never associated "fair and balanced" with Fox News.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by foxd
    I was rather suprised when Fox News said they had a copyright on the phrase "fair and balance". I had never associated "fair and balanced" with Fox News.
    The several previous post have confused trademarks and copyrights, as beskeptical bespeculated. The confusion is not uncommon. Fox News trademarked the phrase in 1998 or so.

    A copyright would mean you had to pay a royalty to use the phrase, at any time (except for fair use, like a review or satire), which is one reason phrases can't be copyrighted. Trademarks have limited application - you could use the phrase, but not in context of promoting a news show or anything that might get someone confused that Fox News was involved. Which, as you point out, is hard to do even when Fox News is involved.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    284
    I thought the Thermonuclear explosion from the ignition of Jupiter was suppossed to blow PX off Course.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by tngolfplayer
    I thought the Thermonuclear explosion from the ignition of Jupiter was suppossed to blow PX off Course.
    Nancy has mentioned the "stocky homonoids" who live on PX, but has she (or her Zeta friends) ever explained how these poor folks survive the cold of deep space as they make their 3500+/- year trip around the universe. And what do they use for sunscreen as they they broil while floating a few million miles from the Sun waiting for the rush hour to end or some bobbling traffic signal to give them a green light to zip by the Earth and shift out poles?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    Quote Originally Posted by tngolfplayer
    I thought the Thermonuclear explosion from the ignition of Jupiter was suppossed to blow PX off Course.
    Nancy has mentioned the "stocky homonoids" who live on PX, but has she (or her Zeta friends) ever explained how these poor folks survive the cold of deep space as they make their 3500+/- year trip around the universe. ...

    No. She also hasn't explained how PX is a red, smoldering brown dwarf with oceans of water. It seems to have escaped her that water boils at temps far below red heat.

    Kooks- go figure.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    205
    Nancy has mentioned the "stocky homonoids" who live on PX, but has she (or her Zeta friends) ever explained how these poor folks survive the cold of deep space as they make their 3500+/- year trip around the universe. And what do they use for sunscreen as they they broil while floating a few million miles from the Sun waiting for the rush hour to end or some bobbling traffic signal to give them a green light to zip by the Earth and shift out poles?
    The answer is simple, watch "The Fifth Element". That would explain
    it's erratic course. Or perhaps Nancy is flying it??

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,189
    Well, the zetans are in good company, at least if you buy Sitchinite propaganda. They also have planets that defy Keplerian orbits heading on impossible trajectories.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,258
    The answer is simple, watch "The Fifth Element". That would explain it's erratic course. Or perhaps Nancy is flying it??
    Looks like we need Bruce Willis again. This time it looks like the BA would not get Milla Jovovich in the end (unlike in a previous thread where Liv Tyler was involved).

    The Fifth Element is one of my favorite films.

    Tom

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,143
    Orbits are not sacred, can be stopped, can be reversed, can be altered such that a planet veers closer to its Sun or outward in a more elliptical manner, can dip down or raise such that the orbit takes a different path, and then return or not return, depending. Thus, the current Earth orbit should not be considered written in stone, immutable, and any change is possible.
    - http://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta21.htm
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Orbits are not sacred, can be stopped, can be reversed, can be altered such that a planet veers closer to its Sun or outward in a more elliptical manner, can dip down or raise such that the orbit takes a different path, and then return or not return, depending. Thus, the current Earth orbit should not be considered written in stone, immutable, and any change is possible.
    - http://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta21.htm
    Right! I've always felt that we need more choices of orbit for the Earth. Just swinging 'round that old Sun for so long is really boring. Perhaps some of the less astro-phyisically challenged out there could advise us on how much energy we need to apply to change the mean radius of our orbit to, say 100 million miles out from the Sun, instead of 93 million miles.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    774
    I really like the copyright and all rights reserved thing on zetababble. "This is my cowpie, you can't have it" Puhleeeze

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Orbits are not sacred, can be stopped, can be reversed, can be altered such that a planet veers closer to its Sun or outward in a more elliptical manner, can dip down or raise such that the orbit takes a different path, and then return or not return, depending. Thus, the current Earth orbit should not be considered written in stone, immutable, and any change is possible.
    - http://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta21.htm
    Right! I've always felt that we need more choices of orbit for the Earth. Just swinging 'round that old Sun for so long is really boring. Perhaps some of the less astro-phyisically challenged out there could advise us on how much energy we need to apply to change the mean radius of our orbit to, say 100 million miles out from the Sun, instead of 93 million miles.
    It would be an easy way to fix any global warming problems....
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Similar Threads

  1. The ability to alter Solar System?
    By Inclusa in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 2011-Feb-09, 08:21 AM
  2. To alter the Sun
    By The Saint in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 2006-Feb-22, 09:04 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-20, 02:52 AM
  4. Alter Earth's rotational speed
    By darkdev in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2004-May-24, 05:32 PM
  5. Aliens alter sun's surface for christmas greetings
    By granolaeater in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2004-Jan-01, 08:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: