Thread: A planet can alter its course??????

A planet can alter its course??????

I always check out "ZetaTalk, What's New" so I know what I'm up against with my mom and sis. (they still believe.) Anyway here's a quote:

"Thus, in passing and avoiding the Sun, Planet X had obviously changed it path and veered to the right. Is this not what the Westoverton key crop circle implies?"

I guess that answers what she'll say next. This is going to go on forever.
    #-o #-o

PX apparently undergoes Brownian Motion.

Remember: winged globe. Flap Flap Flap Flap. \/

Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Maybe a really big volcano erupted and acted like a rocket, pushing the planet off course.
    You should have copyrighted that idea. Now you know she's going to steal it. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by The Shade
    You should have copyrighted that idea. Now you know she's going to steal it. :wink:
    Actually once an idea is put into a tanglible form it is copyrighted. Registering with the copyright office gives you more weight when it comes time to sue. So, Chuck, print out this page and keep it. Then when Nancy tries to use your idea you can sue her. :wink:

If anybody is interested in copyright law, I have a few links I can post.

Please do post the links! 8)

That doesn't apply to me, though. Or does it?

That's what you get when you have a woman driving a planet; they can never make up their mind where to go. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vermonter
    Please do post the links! 8)
    http://www.keytlaw.com/Copyrights/Register.htm

http://www.blue-n-gold.com/halfdan/resources.htm

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/music_copyright.html

http://www.promusicforum.com/articles/copyrights.html

http://www.dejaygold.com/copyright.html

Here is a quicky 411 on copyright:

Copyrighting Your Music

In 1870, Congress passed a law moving registration of copyrights from the federal courts to the Library of Congress. In 1897, Thorvald Solberg, not yet a household name, became the first Register of Copyrights and served in that capacity until 1930. Today, the Library of Congress is still the place to go to register your copyright.

Your creative work is protected by copyright as soon as it is created and "fixed" in a tangible form such as film, a sound recording, etc. However, to fully protect your rights in a court of law it is vitally important to register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office, which is part of the Library of Congress. Having done that, you get a certificate of registration and your work is a matter of public record. Then, if it becomes necessary to sue to protect your rights, you have proof of the originality and authenticity of your work.

To register, you need to submit the correct application form, a non-refundable filing fee of $30, and a non-returnable copy (or copies) of your work. For forms and more information, contact the U.S. Copyright Office via the mail, online, by phone, or even in person.

The Library of Congress
    Copyright Office
    101 Independence Ave. S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20559-6000

There is a 24-hours-per-day forms hotline at (202) 707-9100. Once your completed application is accepted, it can take as long as eight months to process.

For copyright forms, registration information, etc, go to http://www.lcweb.loc.gov/copyright

Probably more than you'll ever want to know about copyright. The above sites lean more toward music, but it also applies to other media.

TSC: this might apply to you depending on the circumstances.

Dragonlor: I'm not even going to touch on what you said. :wink:

Nuts! Well, I can find a way... :wink:

I hereby put my volcano idea into public domain. I don't want to be swamped with royalty checks for the rest of my life.

Chuck

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

You can't copyright an idea. Only a particular expression of that idea, and it has to be longer than a phrase or slogan.

QUOTE : " You can't copyright an idea. Only a particular expression of that idea, and it has to be longer than a phrase or slogan."

IIRC ; salman rushdie has copyright rights to the slogan :

" a mars a day helps you work rest and play "

from the ad campaign for the mars bar

if UK and US laws are at oddds , then shoot me

YRS - APE

I don't know a thing about copyright law but I would think trademarks and ad slogans were a different category.

Quote Originally Posted by swansont
    You can't copyright an idea. Only a particular expression of that idea, and it has to be longer than a phrase or slogan.
    Johnny Carson was able to get the phrase "Heeeeeere's Johnny" protected. There was a business that was trying to use the phrase for their product (toilet obviously :wink: ) and found that they could not use it. I would think "Heeeere's Johnny" would qualify as a phrase and/or slogan. There might be some loopholes or whatever that covers the above, but I'm no expert on the subject.

I was rather suprised when Fox News said they had a copyright on the phrase "fair and balance". I had never associated "fair and balanced" with Fox News.

Quote Originally Posted by foxd
    I was rather suprised when Fox News said they had a copyright on the phrase "fair and balance". I had never associated "fair and balanced" with Fox News.
    The several previous post have confused trademarks and copyrights, as beskeptical bespeculated. The confusion is not uncommon. Fox News trademarked the phrase in 1998 or so.

A copyright would mean you had to pay a royalty to use the phrase, at any time (except for fair use, like a review or satire), which is one reason phrases can't be copyrighted. Trademarks have limited application - you could use the phrase, but not in context of promoting a news show or anything that might get someone confused that Fox News was involved. Which, as you point out, is hard to do even when Fox News is involved.

I thought the Thermonuclear explosion from the ignition of Jupiter was suppossed to blow PX off Course.

Quote Originally Posted by tngolfplayer
    I thought the Thermonuclear explosion from the ignition of Jupiter was suppossed to blow PX off Course.
    Nancy has mentioned the "stocky homonoids" who live on PX, but has she (or her Zeta friends) ever explained how these poor folks survive the cold of deep space as they make their 3500+/- year trip around the universe. And what do they use for sunscreen as they they broil while floating a few million miles from the Sun waiting for the rush hour to end or some bobbling traffic signal to give them a green light to zip by the Earth and shift out poles?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    Quote Originally Posted by tngolfplayer
    Nancy has mentioned the "stocky homonoids" who live on PX, but has she (or her Zeta friends) ever explained how these poor folks survive the cold of deep space as they make their 3500+/- year trip around the universe. ...

No. She also hasn't explained how PX is a red, smoldering brown dwarf with oceans of water. It seems to have escaped her that water boils at temps far below red heat.

Kooks- go figure.

Nancy has mentioned the "stocky homonoids" who live on PX, but has she (or her Zeta friends) ever explained how these poor folks survive the cold of deep space as they make their 3500+/- year trip around the universe. And what do they use for sunscreen as they they broil while floating a few million miles from the Sun waiting for the rush hour to end or some bobbling traffic signal to give them a green light to zip by the Earth and shift out poles?
    The answer is simple, watch "The Fifth Element". That would explain
    it's erratic course. Or perhaps Nancy is flying it??

Well, the zetans are in good company, at least if you buy Sitchinite propaganda. They also have planets that defy Keplerian orbits heading on impossible trajectories.

The answer is simple, watch "The Fifth Element". That would explain it's erratic course. Or perhaps Nancy is flying it??
    Looks like we need Bruce Willis again. This time it looks like the BA would not get Milla Jovovich in the end (unlike in a previous thread where Liv Tyler was involved).

The Fifth Element is one of my favorite films.

Tom

Orbits are not sacred, can be stopped, can be reversed, can be altered such that a planet veers closer to its Sun or outward in a more elliptical manner, can dip down or raise such that the orbit takes a different path, and then return or not return, depending. Thus, the current Earth orbit should not be considered written in stone, immutable, and any change is possible.
    - http://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta21.htm
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Orbits are not sacred, can be stopped, can be reversed, can be altered such that a planet veers closer to its Sun or outward in a more elliptical manner, can dip down or raise such that the orbit takes a different path, and then return or not return, depending. Thus, the current Earth orbit should not be considered written in stone, immutable, and any change is possible.
    Right! I've always felt that we need more choices of orbit for the Earth. Just swinging 'round that old Sun for so long is really boring. Perhaps some of the less astro-phyisically challenged out there could advise us on how much energy we need to apply to change the mean radius of our orbit to, say 100 million miles out from the Sun, instead of 93 million miles.

I really like the copyright and all rights reserved thing on zetababble. "This is my cowpie, you can't have it" Puhleeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Right! I've always felt that we need more choices of orbit for the Earth. Just swinging 'round that old Sun for so long is really boring. Perhaps some of the less astro-phyisically challenged out there could advise us on how much energy we need to apply to change the mean radius of our orbit to, say 100 million miles out from the Sun, instead of 93 million miles.
    It would be an easy way to fix any global warming problems....
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.