Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: So who else is a foodie around here?

Bought a bag of potato rolls (dinner rolls) yesterday at local bakery. They have a very nice texture. Have decided to make a bread pudding out of them; will do that later today. Will make the custard of whole milk, eggs, and butterscotch syrup. Will also add slivered almonds. Maybe a dash of cinnamon too. Then bake. It's been a while since I've made bread pudding; love it.

Maybe a few pecans on top?

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Maybe a few pecans on top?
    I could crack some pecans; we've got 2 pecan trees which put out plenty. But I also have some walnuts at hand.

Probably I'll just use the slivered almonds though.

Somehow, walnuts are my favourite. Great when toasted. Lot of variations on bread pudding. Maybe I'll try the potato roll recipe. Sounds good.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Somehow, walnuts are my favourite. Great when toasted. Lot of variations on bread pudding. Maybe I'll try the potato roll recipe. Sounds good.

Dan
    Wish now I'd grabbed 2 bags of those potato dinner rolls yesterday. They are *lovely*; wonderful texture. Simply with butter is wow. But I think a butterscotch bread pudding is definitely in order.

Toasted nuts are always good. I always toast pecans before adding them to herbed dressing (holiday meals) or candied sweet potatoes.

My butterscotch bread pudding (see above) made from potato bread turned out lovely. It puffed up nicely during baking. Just-right sweet. My only disappointment is that it's not butterscotchy enough. :-\ I did add a pinch of cinnamon, and it tastes like baked french toast. Yummy. Next time I'll have more butterscotch syrup on hand to drizzle over the finished product.

Garlic Gold dried garlic 'nuggets'

Groovy

Hmm, all sounds tasty.
    We ate out yesterday (as we have our regular P&P group then) but on Saturday I tried recreating a sesame dressing I tried in a Japanese soba restaurant in Singapore last year. I used diluted Tahini as base, some white wine vinegar, grated ginger and a drop of soy sauce. I think it got a bit vinegary but as I put it on a pasta salad it worked out well. For a dip sauce I'd go easier on the vinegar. Note to self: source a good Japanese rice wine vinegar.
    I'll definitely have it again, next time with cold soba and steamed veggies.

Ummm...tasty. maybe a few drops of sesame oil? Teriyaki sauce perhaps?

Dan

I actually used some sesame oil, but it was only to enhance the already really intense sesame flavour from the tahini. Might try different concentrations to get the sauce to the right consistency - it got a little bit thick for dipping, and adding only water quickly makes it *too* thin.
    Photo coming up in the evening!

Made sourdough rye bread again.

This time with picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8466s.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	16863

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Ummmm..... that looks like a fine quality bread there. You have done very well.

I have been away for a couple days and reading all of this makes me wonder if there shouldn't be a sticky with just recipes.

Between this thread and the "post your dinner" thread, I could learn to cook.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Hi, Cooking well is a fine and practical talent which saves you money and advances your nutritional profile and I should think helps you enjoy life in so many ways.
    Cook well and prosper.

Dan

I took my son out to dinner tonight and made the mistake of letting him order for us. He decided that we would spilt a "Texas Prare Platter*". He is nine and is very adventurous when it comes to food.

The description was: "Two hot dogs, onions and mustard, french fries with cheese and chilli." He though that sounded exactly like what a 9 year old orders to share with his dad. It was (barely) edible, but disgusting and not remotely like how it was described.

This is what we got:

Name:	ick.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	16885

When the waitress put it on the table, my son looked vaguely sick. I decided I would just "go for it" and said "Yum!". I definitely took one for the team, my stomach is killing me. I told him not to eat too much because I was going to by him an ice cream. He looked very revealed.

*I think they meant Prairie. A typo on a menu is a sure sign to stay away.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2012-May-17 at 03:18 AM.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tessellate, Alt-J

I lived on the Texas Prairie for years and I promise you I've never seen such a concoction. That sure doesn't look like any chili a Texan would claim. Not sure I would have been as brave as you.

Chili cheese fries - I don't think you have to look very hard to find one version or another in Texas and elsewhere in the American south/southwest. I don't know about the chopped hot dog, though. The version pictured does look particularly disgusting.

Not every expression of creativity is a winner. I'd pass on that, no question. What about a nice 6 oz. ribeye with
    mushroom and onions. Less work, better food. Hmmmmm.....

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    This is what we got:
    When the waitress put it on the table, my son looked vaguely sick.
    I don't blame him.

He looked very revealed.
    Oh; that is just begging for some kind of pun, but I can't think of one. (I'm sure you meant relieved)

*I think they meant Prairie.
    Are you sure? They could have meant prayer. Anybody would need faith to eat it.

We seem to have a lot of Greek restaurants that serve Texas Hots aka Chilli Dogs. Since Texas Hots are a Pennsylvania/New York thing, I am not sure how the Greeks became involved.

Texas+New York+Pennsylvania+Greek cuisine=stomachache. Too many spices... I am still a little ill. There must have been two or more onions hiding under that stuff.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

The Greeks started and operated many of the first diners.

"disgusting"

Name:	ick.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	16885

Looks like something from a very sick dog... could have come from either end

When I'm done working (15 minutes), I'm going to have a slice of chocolate cake (that bit of chocolate won't faze me) with a bit of apricot jam and finely diced jalapenos. Want to see how that tastes.

And?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    When I'm done working (15 minutes), I'm going to have a slice of chocolate cake (that bit of chocolate won't faze me) with a bit of apricot jam and finely diced jalapenos. Want to see how that tastes.
    My guess is... the apricot jam and diced jalapenos would be a tasty treat... and even with the chocolate cake would be OK... but mask the good flavor of the cake instead of enhancing it... so the cake should be eaten separately.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    And?
    Lol!!

I got offline immediately after, and didn't log on until this a.m.

It was delicious.

I'm sure very few on BAUT will care, but as a Cleveland area foodie, I had to give a shout-out to Italian food store Gust Gallucci on their up-coming 100th birthday!

cleveland.com

Generations of other Northeast Ohioans have grown up doing the same thing, and they can vividly recall the sensory extravaganza that a visit to Gallucci's meant. Ceilings hanging heavy with logs and balls and ropes of hard cheeses, cured meats and sausages. Barrels brimming with black or vivid green olives. Crates stacked high with hard-as-a-plank dried fish. The mingling aromas of garlic and fennel, capicolla and salami.
    At 2 p.m. Friday, Mayor Frank Jackson is scheduled to deliver a proclamation from the city and dedicate a black granite monument. City and state officials and local business representatives are expected to attend.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Sounds like a very cool place, Swift!! Congrats to them. Wish I could visit some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm sure very few on BAUT will care, but as a Cleveland area foodie, I had to give a shout-out to Italian food store Gust Gallucci on their up-coming 100th birthday!

cleveland.com

Sounds like they are a source !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Thanks; that wasn't in the print version. Instead they had a story about Jackson dedicating a street for a funeral home's anniversary. Must be dedication week in Cleveland. (I guess it's the followup to marine week)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Sounds like a very cool place, Swift!! Congrats to them. Wish I could visit some day.
    To add to your enticement, Cleveland's West Side Market is marking it's centennial too. Even more "not in your normal grocery" food.