Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wierd triangle star formations in sky moving??? what is it?

wierd triangle star formations in sky moving??? what is it?

on june first i was at the lake with some friends and i saw these 3 stars that formed an equilateral triangle start moving across the sky. all 3 moved at the same speed and kept the form. like out of no where they just started moving.... what was i looking at. was it satelites or something? can anyone tell me? i saw the exact same thing 4 years ago.. help? i have asked my astronomy teacher at school and he was about as baffled as i was..

Welcome aboard. My best guess is that it was three planes moving in formation. I am given to understand that it's a pretty common occurrence.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

no it wasnt 3 planes in a formation. me and some friends were staring up at the sky watching the stars and 3 random stars started moving. they were to high up to be planes to. it looked like those satelites you see that just move across the sky but there were 3 of them and they kept the form of a triangle and kept the same speed.

The NOSS satellites

One of the interesting sights in the night sky are the Naval Ocean Surveillance System (NOSS) satellite formations, each having two or three satellites in close proximity to one another. Normally these satellites are relatively dim to the unaided eye, but on occasion they brighten sufficiently to be easily seen in a dark sky.

NOSS satellites locate and track ships at sea by detecting their radio transmissions and analyzing them using the TDOA (time-difference-of-arrival) technique.
    BBC: Naval Ocean Surveillance Satellites - a 'UFO'
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

oh. that is a good answer... it wouldnt matter that im about 16 hour drive from any ocean would it???? and why did it randomly start moving. it wasnt like it came into eyesight then dissappeared. it was 3 dots that were completly still and just started moving in a slow straight line....?????

DId you percieve it as a triangle before or after it started moving?

Quote Originally Posted by steelman View Post
    oh. that is a good answer... it wouldnt matter that im about 16 hour drive from any ocean would it????
    It's hard to keep even naval satellites forever over water.

You use so many question marks that I'm not convinced your questions are sincere, so I'll pass on the rest.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

steelman,

It is common to look at a satellite for a second or more before its motion
    becomes apparent. Although it is even more common for me to stare at
    a star for five or ten seconds before deciding that it is not moving.

I have two guesses about what you observed: 1) there were many stars
    in the sky, some bright and others dim. 2) the three satellites were dim,
    not bright, compared to the stars. If those two guesses are both right,
    then the reason you noticed the three was the fact that they were
    moving. If they had not been moving, you would not have noticed them
    because they were just three more dim stars out of hundreds that you
    could see.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

oh. that is a good answer... it wouldnt matter that im about 16 hour drive from any ocean would it???? and why did it randomly start moving. it wasnt like it came into eyesight then dissappeared. it was 3 dots that were completly still and just started moving in a slow straight line....?????
    Maybe it was a formation of alien spacecraft. Perhaps they were performing an experiment on you and your friends. Something like "Hey let's fly our spacecraft in perfect synchronization with the rotation of the planet below. Maybe those guys down there will notice there are three extra stars in the constellation of Libra." After they realized you weren't as perceptive as they hoped, they accelerated away just to mess with you.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    It's hard to keep even naval satellites forever over water.

You use so many question marks that I'm not convinced your questions are sincere, so I'll pass on the rest.

This is a excellent point??? Probably does indeed most like explain what he saw???? I was a little thrown off as well???

on june first i was at the lake with some friends and i saw these 3 stars that formed an equilateral triangle start moving across the sky. all 3 moved at the same speed and kept the form. like out of no where they just started moving.... what was i looking at. was it satelites or something? can anyone tell me? i saw the exact same thing 4 years ago.. help? i have asked my astronomy teacher at school and he was about as baffled as i was..
    Good to see that UFOs are still common.

well i apologize for using too many question marks or periods. i felt it would stress the question, and it obviously did if you replyed and even noticed it. I am not insinuating that it was a UFO, i was just intrigued by what i saw. To reply to jeff,

"I have two guesses about what you observed: 1) there were many stars
    in the sky, some bright and others dim. 2) the three satellites were dim,
    not bright, compared to the stars. If those two guesses are both right,
    then the reason you noticed the three was the fact that they were
    moving. If they had not been moving, you would not have noticed them
    because they were just three more dim stars out of hundreds that you
    could see."

The stars we saw were neither bright nor dim. Just regular stars, and i understand what you are stating, but out of four guys we all noticed the abrupt movement at the same time.

why were the three of you all looking at exactly the same spot in the sky at exactly the same time?
    i'm gonna guess that you all noticed the movement at not quite the same time- one of you probably said "holy something or other", which led the other two guys to notice what the first had seen- and then you all decided that the stars just started moving at the same time. i think this probably might be a normal human pack behavior, and i bet there's even a fancy scientifical name for it and everything..

i felt it would stress the question, and it obviously did if you replyed and even noticed it.
    Every new question gets noticed here, no matter how many questionmarks.

About your event: date? Time? Exact Location?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

NOSS satellite transits are listed in Heavens-Above. However, I am not entirely sure that the magnitudes quoted are always reliable, as the angle of the solar panels might change if the triads are still active. A glint of sunlight on the panels would make them look much brighter.

well i apologize for using too many question marks or periods. i felt it would stress the question, and it obviously did if you replyed and even noticed it.
    Thanks. It's not just typographic style. It seemed to me you were trying to suggest that what my response was ridiculous: that Navy satellites had no business flying over land. Do you still think that? Or, can you imagine that Navy satellites orbit the earth like every other kind, passing over whatever happens to be beneath them, and don't dodge and dance within their orbits in an attempt to stay over the oceans (granting exception to possible geo-synchronous satellites, which would not move as you described)?

slang,

time: 12:30 am
    place: Lake Bardwell, ennis county, tx
    Date: june 1st

presently i do not perceive that NOSS satellites manage to stay only over water, thank you for bringing that to my attention, and thank you for explaining an event to me that has baffled me for many years.

presently i do not perceive that NOSS satellites manage to stay only over water, thank you for bringing that to my attention, and thank you for explaining an event to me that has baffled me for many years.
    Cool. You're welcome. I hope it helped. Maybe you should try to view a triad and see if it looks familiar. I've never seen one, but I bet it is pretty spooky looking.

Omg, I saw the same thing. and I have been puzzled about it. since. I don't remember what day it was exactly I know It was in the beginning of June. and I was laying outside. looking at the sky, then I aw three stars in A triangle formation... moving. I thought it was just you know, when you think you see something moving. but then I started doing a motion test. I looked a another star beside the three, and waited till the triangle passed the one star and it did, it was moving slowly so I had plenty of time to study it. It was clear as ever. a Triangle Star formation, was moving slowly. like I Went back into my friends house and told them about it. and then I asked about satellites. It was so perfectly in sync. I am so puzzled, so I am with you. And I hope that what we saw was truly amazing. I don't believe in UFO sightings though, because I figure they would have technology to you know stay out of out sights... but You never know..

Well, now you know

Any reason why these sightings might not have been garbage bags held aloft by candle-heated air? They'll always stay in the same formation, though that wouldn't necessarily have been a good triangle...

I always enjoy these...and have seen a few... Not the triangular placed moving points of light.. just the post describing them.
    So what could they / it have been,?
    Satellites orbiting in near proximaty... maybe
    Jettisoned space junk reflecting sunlight... not at 12.30am.
    NOSS saterlights... The most probable sauce of this light emission event.
    Candles under the bags trick... the movement described does not lend weight to this.
    High altitude aircraft in formation... could be it.
    Alien controlled space craft... It would be the first... NO.
    Birds... ?

To further narrow in on this we would need to know at what angle, apparent velocity. Proximity to air traffic path. Wind speed and any other information that might help explain what at first looks like a interesting riddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
    Any reason why these sightings might not have been garbage bags held aloft by candle-heated air? They'll always stay in the same formation, though that wouldn't necessarily have been a good triangle...
    Thank you. I saw one of those after the fireworks on the fourth of July. The family asked what it was. It was clear that it was a small object that was in close proximity rather than something far away. I said it looked like a miniature hot air balloon. Turns out my impression was very close to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Can hoaxers control air currents?

I'm always amused by such an explanation...
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

Smile Ten years back I guess

There is another formation of three satellites I saw some years back but this time in a straight line. Would those be NOSS satellites or something else? The transit was regular and high overhead and they seemed to slowly brighten for a short while then fade out as if in shadow or not reflecting sunlight from a solar array.

I would be pleased to know what they are if there is a similarity or difference.

The stars we saw were neither bright nor dim. Just regular stars, and i understand what you are stating, but out of four guys we all noticed the abrupt movement at the same time.
    I've seen lots of "stars" in the night sky that were indistinguishable from actual stars. Some of them exhibited noticeable movement (to the human eye) against the background. Some did not.

Believe it or not, airplanes don't always look like airplanes, particularly during dusk or at night. For example, the human can barely, just barely, make out the general outline of your average modern airliner at FL 370 (37,000' QNE (29.92 set)), and that's during the day, when lighting conditions are optimal.

On days where there's a slight (almost unnoticable) haze, that airline can appear invisible two miles closer to you.

Nights? While avoidance beacons are usually visible many miles away, they're not always visible within a large cone below the aircraft. Position lights are not meant for distant viewing, only for close-in (within a couple of miles) detection of relative approach vectors and for immediate avoidance.

Then there are military aircraft in a MOA (military operations area). Although civilians can fly through a MOA, they're highly encouraged not to, due to the danger of possible collision with military aircraft, which often engage in sharp verticle maneuvers, well beyond the visual detection zones of the pilot of a small aircraft.

By FAA ruling, military aircraft are authorized to operate covert ("lights out") in a MOA, primarily for NVG training. If a three-ship did so and reverted to standard lighting as they transitioned from a MOA into congested civilian airspace, standard operating procedure is for them to do the same thing that's required in Class B and C airspace, namely, turning on the anti-collision lighting, the position lights, and the landing lights.

The latter is most important, as if they're pointing anywhere within 30 degrees of your location, they're about the only thing you'll see from a formation that's several miles distant.

I highly doubt you were looking directly at them when they began "moving," as your vision's center is only about 2 deg wide. Thus, you would have had to have been looking at that one spot and not the other 40,000 such spots not within your visual center.

However, if the formation weren't travelling directly towards you, and switched on their lights simultaneously (they do that via a radio call that sounds like, "Viper flight, lights 3, now"), and you weren't looking directly at them, your peripheral vision (the part handling the other 39,999 spots which aren't in your visual center) would pick up the change, signal a non-brain part of your nervous system, which would immediately divert your gaze to the change it noticed.

To you, however, you would not notice these events. Rather, all you would notice is exactly what you reported - that you're suddenly looking at three lights which are moving in relation to the other lights in the sky.

i have never joined any kind of forum before but i was just looking at the sky and noticed 3 "stars" moving across the sky and i watched them cross the entire sky untill i couldnt see them anymore. they looked exactly like stars and werent blinking like airplanes usually do. they stayed in a triangle formation with 2 in front and one behind but the one behind moved. i was just curious about it so i went on google and came across this post so i just thought i would join and say something.

Welcome to BAUT gilbertt123! I think 01101001's post #4 provides your answer, right?

I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    Can hoaxers control air currents?

I'm always amused by such an explanation...
    What do you mean? Why do hoaxers need to be able to control air currents?

What's a "good" triangle? Any three points of light would make an acceptable triangle, and when viewed from the ground, it would give the viewer the impression that it's a triangular-shaped object moving in a certain direction.