Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stonehenge a cemetery?

Stonehenge a cemetery?

Stonehenge Could have been Resting Place for Royalty

Several news sources carried the story, this particular link is to the Science Daily version. Makes an interesting read, but no conclusions on the reason Stonehenge was built. It does discuss some of the recent and/or current projects though.

Here is the lead paragraph:

Archaeologists at the University of Sheffield have revealed new radiocarbon dates of human cremation burials at Stonehenge, which indicate that the monument was used as a cemetery from its inception just after 3000 B.C. until well after the large stones went up around 2500 B.C.
    The story is a day or two old, so my bad if this is already under discussion. I searched "stonehenge" along with "graveyard", "cemetery", and "burial" and got no positive results, but I could have missed it.

They unearthed some of my old socks, which would explain the radioactivity...I apologize for dislodging legitimate science

Pete

I finished a Web site for a client two weeks ago, who is also claiming "Stonehenge Solved", in this case, as a lunar observatory.

I love the image of Stonehenge on their home page by English artist, John Constable, which looks somewhat different to Stonehenge as we know it today.

Sounds OK until you wonder about the Aubrey holes...

Also got to wonder about how they moved them there stones so far.

In other words, don't go accepting any explanations until they explain ALL the problems with orthodox theories.

It's a complex site. It was probably used by different groups of people for different things over a long period of time. At least that's my opinion. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was used as a calendar and used as a graveyard at different times.

There's some sites in Ireland that are maybe even cooler, from an astronomical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
    Also got to wonder about how they moved them there stones so far.
    Ropes. Log rollers. People.

More than 100 years ago we were moving far more massive things. What's the big perplexion, here?

Yes, the archeologists have worked out a route from the Prescelly Mountains to where the stones are now that's mostly water, and the land portion could easily have been acomplished with log rollers and lots of help. With lots of help, you can do almost anything.

THC had a show that Stonehenge was actually the center of a small city.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscure anthropologists
    There, lived a strange race of people, the Druids. No one knows who they were, or what they were doing, but their legacy remains; hewn into the living rock of Stonehenge.
    / Feel like rocking out for some reason.

There, lived a strange race of people, the Druids. No one knows who they were, or what they were doing, but their legacy remains; hewn into the living rock of Stonehenge
    Actually, it wasn't the Celts or the Druids that built Stone Henge. That was a myth the Romans said about it. The people who built it weren't celtic and didn't even speak an endo-european language.

It is interesting when we try to re create the event. Now, it does strike me as not well thought out but have a look at this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/771988.stm
    It later fell off a barge into Milford Haven dock.

By no means am I saying it could not be done but on a related note, how many can start a fire without modern means? If you see what I am getting at?

Ral, here's my authoritative source. (3 minute youtube video, pretty sure it's SFW*, although some of the related videos don't appear to be.)

/ Spinal Tap wants to make your eardrums bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by RalofTyr View Post
    Actually, it wasn't the Celts or the Druids that built Stone Henge. That was a myth the Romans said about it. The people who built it weren't celtic and didn't even speak an endo-european language.
    Sure, we know that. But Nigel Tufnel doesn't.

Builder. One man. Duncan was his name. They didn't have last names back then.

and again:
    ...Some [Atlanteans] went to England where Stonehenge is; they placed those boulders perfectly into position to help people know when to plant crops, among many other things about the seasons...
    ---p. 49 of 249,"Rolling Thunder Speaks: A Message for Turtle Island",
    copyright and edited by Carmen Sunrising Pope, Clear Light Publishers, 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
    In other words, don't go accepting any explanations until they explain ALL the problems with orthodox theories.
    Are you talking about the article or the site iantresman linked to? The article is a glorified press release--I at least am not taking any big conclusions from it aside from "people were buried there in such a way...". The site may be a different story, but building a site is like building a house. You don't have to like it, you just do the job. As a disclaimer, I haven't looked beyond the mainpage of the site so I have little idea what's there.

All in all though, good advice and an excellent reminder!

/Edit to add:
    Quote Originally Posted by peter eldergill View Post
    They unearthed some of my old socks, which would explain the radioactivity...I apologize for dislodging legitimate science

Pete
    Last edited by man on the moon; 2008-May-31 at 07:38 AM. Reason: to add a quote

I wonder if anyone has thought about the geographic relationship between stone henge and Preseli mountains. I mean they are due west, from SH and would have been close to where the sun set in winter. So the stones would have come from the land where the sun set in winter; I thought that might mean something.

I wonder if the other stones in the site came from geographically significant parts of Europe..

Druids venerated groves, not stones, and post-dated Stonehenge (and the other, better, stone circles in the British Isles) by millenia.
    Quote Originally Posted by RalofTyr
    That was a myth the Romans said about it. The people who built it weren't celtic and didn't even speak an endo-european language.
    The "Celts" are also a myth, albeit a comparitively recent one. Celticness is these days defined mostly in language, partly in culture and never in blood.

I'm not surprised by the presence of inhumations at Stonehenge. For most of the history of settlement on the British Isles, religion was not a separate thing - you did not, for example, go to a church on special occasions and then live your life the rest of the time. Religion was very much woven in to every aspect of life. The presence of inhumations in virtually all contemporary structures in Scotland attests to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Well the rocks were rolled when they were moved.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Moved from OTB to General Science.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianachan View Post
    The "Celts" are also a myth, albeit a comparitively recent one...
    Please elaborate; this book seems to portray them as real.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    but this stonehenge is more than 12" tall...
    and i don't see any dwarves around..

Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong View Post
    Please elaborate; this book seems to portray them as real.
    Have you read it? Do you know what he says about "The Celts" in the book? I haven't, so can't really comment on it. The book is, of course, over 30 years old - Celtic studies have changed significantly in that time. I notice from reviews that the author talks about Atlantis...
    Last edited by Lianachan; 2008-Jun-01 at 02:27 PM.

Lianachan, the myth about the Celts you're talking about, is that they where one unified culture/religion or that they where one ethnic group?
    I mean, there seems to be quite a lot archeology supporting that there where people back then, with a somewhat similar aesthetic in their artifacts.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Lianachan, the myth about the Celts you're talking about, is that they where one unified culture/religion or that they where one ethnic group?
    I mean, there seems to be quite a lot archeology supporting that there where people back then, with a somewhat similar aesthetic in their artifacts.
    There was no race of Celts, who invaded (for example) the British Isles. Up until about 20 years ago, most historians thought there was - but in the light of improved techniques and increasing evidence, the idea has completely fallen from favour. As I originally said - Celticness is these days defined mostly in language, partly in culture and never in blood. Culture and language can and usually do move without associated migration/invasion. For example, I can put on a baseball cap and go and see Indiana Jones at the cinema, but that doesn't make me an America.

Have you read it? Do you know what he says about "The Celts" in the book? I haven't, so can't really comment on it. The book is, of course, over 30 years old - Celtic studies have changed significantly in that time. I notice from reviews that the author talks about Atlantis...
    [Curious difference in Lianachan's initial reply; additional wording appeared when his reply was "Quoted".]
    My link contains plenty of attestations to their existance; so what's different in the last 30 years to prove them a myth? How about some references?

Given Lianachan's answer I'm guessing genetic tests for consanguinity has indicated that the different Celtic people aren't as related as was expected from the common language.

Perhaps you can see it as a smaller scale version of what you'd get by looking at people with Spanish as their first language now.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

[Curious difference in Lianachan's initial reply; additional wording appeared when his reply was "Quoted".]
    Huh? What does that mean? I edited my post to explain why I was asking - is that what you mean?
    [My link contains plenty of attestations to their existance; so what's different in the last 30 years to prove them a myth? How about some references?
    Your link is to a book, not to evidence. As for references, try just about any recent book about Celticness. Celtic languages? Yes. Celtic cultures? Yes. A Celtic race of people who expanded out from central Europe? No.

Huh? What does that mean? I edited my post to explain why I was asking - is that what you mean?
    No, I see that your last sentence and a half (after the 'dash') is now there, but wasn't when I answered---a Board anomaly, perhaps.
    Your link is to a book, not to evidence.
    Okay, but the book link contains book excerpts.
    As for references, try just about any recent book about Celticness.
    Like which one? You are making the claim "The "Celts" are also a myth", it's not up to me to prove your assertion.
    Celtic languages? Yes. Celtic cultures? Yes. A Celtic race of people who expanded out from central Europe? No.
    So you're in agreement that they did exist, just not as a separate race. I was unaware of any Celtic racial claims, to begin with.

No, I see that your last sentence and a half (after the 'dash') is now there, but wasn't when I answered---a Board anomaly, perhaps.
    Okay, but the book link contains book excerpts.Like which one? You are making the claim "The "Celts" are also a myth", it's not up to me to prove your assertion.So you're in agreement that they did exist, just not as a separate race. I was unaware of any Celtic racial claims, to begin with.
    I am talking about the consensus among Celtic scholars, not just my own opinion. This is not like an ATM kind of thing. As I have repeatedly said: Yes, there are Celtic languages. Yes, there is enough commonality throughout Europe to consider a variety of "Celtic" cultures which can loosely be lumped in together. However, yes - people had often assumed the migration of this language and culture was carried by migrants or invaders. There were indeed Celtic racial claims. However, these days, absolutely nobody who knows anything about it considers that to be the case.

Celtic culture and language travelled from the centre of Western Europe (where they originated) to the continent's north and west fringe, and somewhat to the east as well. But was there a mass transfer of humanity that accompanied the spread of the culture?

One interesting piece of data is the DNA test carried out on Cheddar Man, a 9000 year old skeleton found in a cave in Somerset. His DNA was compared to the local residents who live in the village today and several matches were found. So it seems that the population who lived in Cheddar long before the influx of Celtic language and culture has persisted, at least in part, until now. This certainly suggests that invading hordes of Celts did not arriive in massive numbers from Hallstatt and overwhelm the local population; but I would imagine at least a few migrants did make the journey. Perhaps they had cultural skills and technology that were desirable in those long-ago days.