OK per your complaints I will try something new.
I have 4 questions bordering on ATM but all related. I will post them here in one thread as they all may end up in the same place. I ask the mods to move to ATM if they feel that I have receded past that line.
1) Light is limited in distance by its energy not by speed of the recession.
2) A black hole can emit light
3) What is the minimum wavelength (max energy??) that light can have?
4) If light was quantumized would we notice when its source is receding away faster than the speed of light?
OK ... was just on the NY subway and these 4 thoughts came to me while drinking a burnt honey milkshake. The root of these thoughts stemmed from the ant and the rope discussion and the expansion of the universe discussion. They are all sort of based on the same premise so let me state that first in case I donít get it right.
****We can see light even if it came from a source that at the time the light was produced was receding away from us at super-luminal speeds. Basically this is the ant on the rope thing. Am I right? If not no need to read any further. ****
OK if you are reading this then you agree with me on the point above (or else was interested in me making a fool out of myself once again).
1) light is limited in distance by its energy not by speed of the recession. So if we can see light from a source that is receding superlumianlly then either our universe is confined to our visible universe ( and we are in the dead center ( not very likely ) ) or the distance light can travel depends on its initial energy, NOT by the speed of recession of the source. The limiting factor here is the energy of light. Once the expansion of the universe has shifted them to 0 energy they are done.
2) A black hole can emit light If a black hole can emit gravity waves AND taking the ant and the rope into account. A black hole may be allowed to emit light. I had two sub thoughts about this : a) the light that was produced even at the big bang would take a very very long time to escape and hasnít escaped yet so we wouldnít see it, for example the light would need to virtually travel across our entire visible universe just to escape the event horizon. OR 2) Only a very very blue shifted light ( high energy ) light would be able to escape ... other light would not have the lifespan to endure the trip. OR 3) Light gets stuck directly on or below the event horizon, as the light producers is gobbled the last photons of light emitted lasts for a long long time at the event horizon.
3) What is the minimum wavelength ( max energy ?? ) that light can have? This is a question that I have. So please even if you donít like the ATMish questions please answer this one. I was thinking that the most blue shifted light could travel the furthest. What is the most energetic light we know of? Does it in fact travel further?
4) If light was quantumized would we notice when its source is receding away faster than the speed of light? OK this one is kind of a one off from the rest but ... if light was actually quantum and not pure waves ... then as its light source recedes from us at greater than the speed of light, there would be a delay. So we would see one photon then a break then another photon then a break. The thought process here is that if photons are released kind of as a stream, then for any speed under the speed of light we would see them as a stream. However after a recessionary speed of over the speed of light then the quantum themselves would be pulled apart by the expansion of the universe ( they would need to ) as there would not be enough of them to produce a constant stream over a trip that could be exponentially longer.
I will throw in a number 5 although it was not part of the initial thought packet.
5) Extra bonus material. If space expands by the magical space fairy dropping in space everywhere, what actually causes the red shift? If the space-time is actually stretched then naturally the wavelength gets stretched because c stays constant.
OK, the old tommac would have just dropped 5 new threads on the board. Per your request I compressed this all into one digest format. The questions are all quasi-related however each of them reaches in their own direction. In answering them, please quote the question you are answering OR at least the number.
Also I think this post is an improvement per your requests right? In return can you please not repost on here RTFM or other posts like telling me what I am doing wrong or otherwise calling me an idiot or whatever. Please send that stuff to me PM only. It took quite a while to think about and write this question and I would like to keep on topic if possible.