Pittsburgh vs. Ottawa
    Washington vs. Philly
    NJ vs. NYR

Western Conference:
    Detroit vs. Nashville
    SJ vs. Calgary
    Minnesota vs. Colorado
    Anaheim vs. Dallas

My picks, for the round: Montreal, Pittsburgh, Philly, NJ, Detroit, Calgary, Minnesota, Anaheim.

Final I'm hoping for: Pittsburgh vs. Calgary

Re: NHL Playoffs '08

Die hard Rangers fan here. We took the first one fum da Devils 4-1. Excellent game by Lundqvist. Good game, Gomez! Way to share the wealth. And revenge is always sweet...

Nice shutout by Fluery as Pittburgh took care of Ottowa 4-0. Nice scores by Edwards and Malkin. The Senators got frustrated at the end and made the mistake of trying to gang up on Crosby.

Looks like more really good playoff games coming up!

I thought overall, Ottawa played pretty poorly. I don't know how many times I saw them get outhustled to the puck, give the puck away, or not be able to get the puck out of their own end. Hopefully next game will be better, Pittsburgh was deifinately the better team today

Pete

I'm sure the Red Wings will do their usual and exit the playoffs after the 1st of 2nd round.

Excellent games (the ones I watched), last night! It was great to see Gary Roberts back in form, hard working and feisty. The Sens had a bad stretch up to the playoffs and with a couple of key players still out of the line-up, could end up being dispatched quickly, from the playoffs. The second game CBC aired last night was Calgary @ SJ. If Calgary can pull off another road win tonight, SJ will find themselves in a hole. Both of these series', I'm going to enjoy.

With Calgary leading, I switched to TSN in time to catch OT between the Wild and Avs. Good comeback for the Wild, only to fall short in OT, this could be one heck of a series.

Tonight, Montreal @ Boston, an original six match-up, should be good. I'll be flipping to the Caps-Flyers game to see how Ovechkin handles his first NHL playoffs. The Flyers will likely be targetting him, see if they can throw him off his game (ETA: oops, series starts Friday). For the late game, I will once again be tuning into the Calgary-SJ series.

Most of the games I have watched so far, have been highly entertaining. The talk last night and today though, has been about Sean Avery's screening antics. I have to admit, I was howling with laughter, the first time I saw a clip of it. You just know, rule changes are in the making.

Avery continued to annoy Brodeur, who smacked the Rangers forward in frustration as he was hounded and face-guarded. When Scott Gomez spotted Avery in front, he sent a perfect feed from the goal line to Brodeur's left for a redirection score 6:50 into the second.

"It's a 5-on-3 and I'm trying to get to the puck," Brodeur said. "I'm trying to look around him. It was almost impossible because of the stick so close to my face. I've played for 15 years in this league; I've been watching games for 33 years. I had never seen that in my life.

"I don't think that kind of behaviour should be done in front of the net, but there is no rule for it."
    Story

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_2oKWe2Gw

And now they have decided that they will issue an unsportsmanlike conduct for that activity in the future. I agree with the ruling, although I think another way to deal with it is to issue a major high sticking the first time he made contact with someone and start adding suspensions for any additional incidents.

Nice OT win by the Wild. You could tell which team was in better condition tonight.

Meanwhile, what a letdown by the Red Wings!

Super Tuesday was just that for the Broad Street Bullies and the Sharks. Too bad the Caps couldn't take advantage of so many scoring opportunities during the third period and OT. Shark's 2nd period was something else. Calgary's Kiprusoff must have daydreaming during that period, and wound up on the bench.

Friday the Rangers get to pluck the Penguins. Thursday I'll be pulling for the Habs.

Never watched hockey, except for the 1980 Olympics. My stepson loves the Stars, so I've been watching hockey again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Super Tuesday was just that for the Broad Street Bullies and the Sharks. Too bad the Caps couldn't take advantage of so many scoring opportunities during the third period and OT. Shark's 2nd period was something else. Calgary's Kiprusoff must have daydreaming during that period, and wound up on the bench.

Friday the Rangers get to pluck the Penguins. Thursday I'll be pulling for the Habs.
    Rangers are going down in 6 bro sorry. No pluckin going on there. I hate the Habs but your probably right on that one, there too fast for the Flyers..............It will be a Shark- Penguin Final.

Go Wings

Quote Originally Posted by jrkeller View Post
    Go Wings
    and Thighs

I enjoyed the game 7 double-header the other night. If Montreal keeps winning, who knows how much will be left of the city.

Upcoming round:

Montreal vs. Philly - Going with Montreal. Both teams made impressive turn arounds over the previous season. Loads of history between these two teams.

Pittsburgh vs. NYR - Going with the Pens. Goaltending will be key. Avery vs. Ruuttu could make the series an interesting "battle of the pests".

Detroit vs. Colorado - Should be a close series. My only issue coming from what little I've seen of Detroit play, the past few years, they can make gameplay boring to watch.

Dallas vs. SJ - Probably the closest matched teams. Will be interesting to watch, will the refs let them play the hard hitting, more rough style of play. Hoping the series won't get decided by a ref's call. I'll go with SJ, though I think this series can really go either way.

Montreal vs. Philly - There must be a Canadian team in the hockey playoffs. Go Canucks! Er, Canadiens!

Pittsburgh vs. NYR - Hard for me to cheer for the Rangers (see below), but harder to root for Pittsburgh.

Detroit vs. Colorado - I've pulled for the Wings ever since they were the parent club for the Fort Worth CHL franchise. (Followed by the NY Islanders.)

Dallas vs. SJ - How did they get NHL clubs? Dallas sees snow maybe once a year, and San Jose sees it only when the TV is on the fritz. Still, SJ, for the novelty factor and 'cause I can't stand Dallas (see above).
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

WTG, Red Wings. And Habs, excellent job of keeping the OT nice and short!

The Wings look like they're rolling now. Hopefully they got their bad series out of the way without blowing it again.

I can not believe the stars are spanking the sharks like they are.
    Wings look good. Should advance no prob.
    Flyers are surprising me. And...........
    last but not least the pen's and rangers series is gettin better by the minute. I'll still take the Pen's

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyref88 View Post
    Flyers are surprising me.
    The Flyer's haven't won in 33 very long years. Hopefully this is the year that changes all that, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. It is always the case that whoever has the hot goalie is going to win. Doesn't matter what you did in the regular season. If the goalie is playing great in the playoffs, the team becomes unstoppable. In those 33 years, the Flyers went to the finals 4 or 5 times. Two of those times it was against Gretsky and team, and were clearly outclassed, but the others were against a team that was equal, but their goalie was better. That made the difference.

Montreal has begun faltering. I feel for Price (I can't believe he isn't a Calder Trophy finalist), after letting in a few soft goals. This series can still be a close one. Pittsburgh is just rolling along, Rangers should be able to take at least one game on home ice. Don't know what has happened to SJ, did they leave their best efforts in the Calgary series? Haven't seen any of Wings/Avs.

Jim: Dallas got a team through relocation. Minnesota North Stars wanted a new arena paid for by the municipality (IIRC), didn't get it, moved to Dallas. SJ got their franchise through expansion.
    Last edited by Parrothead; 2008-Apr-30 at 12:22 AM. Reason: edited for rewording

The Wings are on a role now! Close it out!

NHL playoffs

anybody watching !!

Sharks are out , Colorado is out , NewYork is out and Montreal is out

its a Pittisburg and Dallas Stanely Cup

go Dallas

if your not watching the NHL playoffs you don't know what your missing

its faster , tougher and more exciting than any other playoff series out there !!

Oh, we're watching!

Threads merged.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Well, we lost Avery and appear ready to lose the series 0-4.

Next year...

Rangers win! By the margin they should have won the first game. Jagr scores two goals! We still have a pulse!

Get well soon, Sean Avery!

What is up San Jose?? Unbelievable, all that talent and just splat!!! Dallas is just playing lights out. Never saw that coming really. The Pen's can close it out at home now. Pen's-Flyer's series starting to look pretty good to me right now. Can the wing's get past the west finals this year?? Yes I think so at this point.

Penguins-Wings Finals

Rick

Oh well, maybe next year. So long, Jagr, thanks for all the goals.

Wings up 2 - 0 over the Stars!

It's good to be a sports fan from Michigan this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
    [edit]It's good to be a sports fan from Michigan this time of year.
    Yeah, no Appalachian State to worry about.

Go former team of Gordie Howe! 3-0 now. Sweep those star-cross-checked Texans!