Due to the obvious misuse of the term “theory” by woo-woos, as well as, some distinguished scientists, it appears time that a new term should be created that would allow scientist an appropriate label for their incipient theories – ideas that appear to have some hope of someday meeting the requirements of a scientific theory, but can not properly be called a scientific theory.
If no appropriate term exists, it seems it would be that much more tempting to use the “theory” label improperly. Just one example is the “Multiverse Theory”. It, apparently, makes no predictions, nor is open to falsification. Yet, it is called a theory, even by some who are prominent scientists.
Please give serious thought to the idea of a new term. Some initial considerations should be discussed before an actual name is sought:
- Is there, indeed, no term that describes new want-to-be theories?
- If such a term already exists, why is it not being used?
- Is it time for such a new term to emerge?
- What requirements need to be included in our new label so that the ridiculous ideas are disallowed, and the more incipient theory-ideas are?
- What else needs consideration before we engage in finding just the right word to describe our new term so that, hopefully, every lexicographer will quickly embrace it, and most scientists will want to use it?