Thread: Early March Saturn (and Titan)

Early March Saturn (and Titan)

All:

I've attached a photo of Saturn, with a very dim Titan above the planet, that was taken Saturday night under mediocre to good seeing. This was the best conditions for this type of work that we've had in the last two months, so I spent an hour out with the scope, and got two sequences worth processing. It's winter, that's par.

Robert
    www.galacticphotography.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by galacticphoto; 2008-Mar-03 at 08:59 PM.

Great shot! Robert, Very nice capture of titan also. The rings show its brightness also so it confirms basically of what i have seen on my image too. Welldone looking forward to see more and hope your weather improves Clear Skies.

Hi Robert. Thats one nice image of Saturn and Titan. Very nice indeed. Post more when you can. Paul

Robert

your photo is outstanding, I love it

What scope did you use? My scope is a 6" Mak-Cass not seeing saturn that large

Thanks

All:

Appreciate the comments. As an answer to the question concerning the equipment used for planetary work, you can be see it on the website, specifically the top few photos at:
    http://www.galacticphotography.com/a...uipment_1.html

Robert
    www.galacticphotography.com

your Saturn photo

Hi Robert.
    I played with your Saturn photo alittle by adding some contrast and color and found that you captured two of Saturns Moons. Clear skies to you Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paul:

I looked at a greater stretch on the image, and saw Tethys below the rings, and an even greater stretch (blowing out the planet) shows Enceladus off to the right (in line with the rings), and a very, very dim Mimas inbetween the rings and Enceladus. There is too much dynamic range required to show all, while maintaining a natural look to the planet, ie definition, contrast, and color.

Saturn was my principal interest, the moons were just passing through the scene. Had I used 16b records instead of 8b (the camera is 12b), and used 16b TIFF instead of 8b JPEG for the image, the problem may have been negated. I could also have taken a sequence of longer exposures for the moons, and composited with the sequence for the planet, to show all.

Robert

Excellent result, Robert. Very smooth, crisp and detailed.

Excellent shot. Titan clearly visible without streching which I don't see very often. Great work.

Kind regards
    Matt

impressive shot Robert!

Matt, I must have accomplished my goal of having the image look more or less natural, because I did stretch the image, but not a "gross" stretch, only that portion of the curves (in PS) that included the moon (and unintended edges of the planet and rings).

I can't see the "attached photo" anymore, since the server moved, but I guess they're hanging around somewhere.

I did put a slightly different version on my "Saturn" webpage, slightly better lum layer alignment (11 alignment points instead of 5), and a slightly different LRGB image stretch. The photo is third down on the page at the link below:

http://www.galacticphotography.com/a...anetary_3.html

Robert

Thanks Robert. I can see how the tightened alignment has cleaned up the image allowing you to brighten things a bit.

Kind regards
    Matt