Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do dogs know when they're pregnant?

Do dogs know when they're pregnant?

I thought about it my aunt's poodles just had a litter and I wondered did she know that she was pregnant until she went into labor. Did she think all the cramps were stomach aches? These are the questions that boggle my mind.

till we can look inside a Dog's mind, we may never know!

Well--we might infer by the second, or third or seventh pregnancy, the dog might start associating the symptoms with the result. The first pregnancy, almost surely not. Dogs, as far as we know, don't sit down with their young to give them the talk about the facts of life.

I am sure that I would know it if I was pregnant

I am sure that I would know it if I was pregnant
    That's why your not a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dknight View Post
    That's why your not a dog.
    Oh I have other reasons why as well

In school you might have been told that before Columbus people thought the world was flat. This wasn't true. It wasn't true on a superficial level. Educated people did think the world was round before Columbus. But it's also wrong about what "people" thought. People didn't think the world was flat or round, for the most part they just didn't think about it. They accepted it the way it was and thought about it no more than the average person thinks about the curvature of space.

The dog doesn't think about being pregnant, she accepts it and follows her instinctual "programming". Asking if she knows doesn't really apply, because first we'd have to define what we mean by knowing. A *****'s genetic programming is a lot more obvious than a human's. If a ***** is away from her nest when she starts to give birth she may ignore a pup born away from the nest if it isn't strong enough to make the "I'm a puppy" sound right away. She will just abandon it and head off to the nest. But if you play a tape of the "I am a puppy" sound the ***** will pick up the tape recorder and take it back to her nest and ignore her own actual puppy. While dogs can certainly know things, these sorts of "mistakes" show that they don't "know" things in the same way as we do. (And a lot of the time when we "know" things we are actually making up justfications after the fact.)

EDIT: It looks like BAUT can't handle the word for female dog, in case you are wondering what all the astrixes are for.

7. 2007-Dec-27, 09:07 AM
    Reason
    PM'ed this reply upon further thought.

Hmm

We have a female dog in the house, and I have observed ,well.. I don't see it common in other female dogs ..whenever she's in "heat" , there's this "male dog " who happens to visit her ..every day , usually "the visitation" lasted for a week .... and for sure after a couple weeks our dog is pregnant.

Maybe just like you said they have their "Instincts" to Mate and Breed and it covers the pregnancy period.

EDIT: It looks like BAUT can't handle the word for female dog, in case you are wondering what all the astrixes are for
    Actually that word only applies to female dogs that have not been bred/had pups. After that, the word is dam!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    In school you might have been told that before Columbus people thought the world was flat. This wasn't true. It wasn't true on a superficial level. Educated people did think the world was round before Columbus. But it's also wrong about what "people" thought. People didn't think the world was flat or round, for the most part they just didn't think about it. They accepted it the way it was and thought about it no more than the average person thinks about the curvature of space.

The dog doesn't think about being pregnant, she accepts it and follows her instinctual "programming". Asking if she knows doesn't really apply, because first we'd have to define what we mean by knowing. A *****'s genetic programming is a lot more obvious than a human's. If a ***** is away from her nest when she starts to give birth she may ignore a pup born away from the nest if it isn't strong enough to make the "I'm a puppy" sound right away. She will just abandon it and head off to the nest. But if you play a tape of the "I am a puppy" sound the ***** will pick up the tape recorder and take it back to her nest and ignore her own actual puppy. While dogs can certainly know things, these sorts of "mistakes" show that they don't "know" things in the same way as we do. (And a lot of the time when we "know" things we are actually making up justfications after the fact.)

EDIT: It looks like BAUT can't handle the word for female dog, in case you are wondering what all the astrixes are for.
    When I was a kid we had a cat that had her first pregnacy--when the time came, she'd stop, have a kitten, then just went on about her day. We had to find all of the kittens for her...then she started caring for them.

My aunt's first pup opened it's eyes yesterday. The other ones haven't yet it's been about 10 to 12 hours since then. The other ones haven't opened yet. My cousin said they will open at nightime like the first one is that true and if so why?

If it is true (and I don't know if it is or not), it probably has something to do with light sensitivity. It's probably easier on a puppy's eyes if they're opened for the first time when it's not terribly bright out.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

But if you play a tape of the "I am a puppy" sound the ***** will pick up the tape recorder and take it back to her nest and ignore her own actual puppy. While dogs can certainly know things, these sorts of "mistakes" show that they don't "know" things in the same way as we do.
    A woman just had a baby. see is in the breast feeding stage. She goes over a friends house and hears their baby crying. Immediately milk starts coming out of her breast. Is this a mistake?

I just became curious if there was some convention in english I was unaware off, or in the dialect you use, that makes it neccisary to use a gender spesific name for dog in this context?

It seems to me that it would probably have been easier to continue to use just dog, as really, those asteriskses are rather confusing(I thought you were using wildcards to indicate any range of animals), and due to context and the pronoun "she" we are really not likely to think you were refering to male dogs...

I thought about it my aunt's poodles just had a litter and I wondered did she know that she was pregnant until she went into labor. Did she think all the cramps were stomach aches? These are the questions that boggle my mind.
    I expect there is some instict that would guide a pregnant dog to take certain actions, but this is not really knowledge...

A woman just had a baby. see is in the breast feeding stage. She goes over a friends house and hears their baby crying. Immediately milk starts coming out of her breast. Is this a mistake?
    I don't know , but when I was in that stage, my doctor said in order for you to have milk , you must stimulate your brain to give signal to your mammary glands to produce milk , but even If I followed her instructions, I still didn't produce milk for my baby.

Some Mommies are fortunate.

I was trying to compare a dogs mistakes in this stage to a humans mistake. Maybe this mistakes are do to muscle memory and not really a dog being fooled.

Everbody has quotes from neverfly this is insane.

In this case yes it was a "mistake" but in more traditional cultures it's often normal to breastfeed other people's babies. Back when we liveds as hunter gatherers or simle agriculturalists, you were related to most babies you met.

I just became curious if there was some convention in english I was unaware off, or in the dialect you use, that makes it neccisary to use a gender spesific name for dog in this context?
    In Australia we call a female dog four astrixes. It's a common thing to do and it didn't occur to me to use any other term. I've since had a private message saying that some people int he U.S. might find it offensive, which kind of surprised me. You learn new stuff all the time here.

"I've since had a private message saying that some people int he U.S. might find it offensive"

very, very few (when the term is used properly in reference to a female dog, that is!).

I remember this Simpson's episode making fun of the situation, with Lisa (strangely, given that she knows it all) not realizing there was a non-swearword usage of the word when Bart kept using the word to refer to a female dog.

Who else's has?

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpool View Post
    Originally Posted by 3dknight:

Who else's has?

Just you two.

I have observed among my barn cats that when a female is within a day or two of giving birth, she will start to kidnap kittens from other litters and haul them off to her own nesting spot.

In Australia we call a female dog four astrixes. It's a common thing to do and it didn't occur to me to use any other term. I've since had a private message saying that some people int he U.S. might find it offensive, which kind of surprised me. You learn new stuff all the time here.
    It is commonly used as a derogatory term for a human female.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

It is commonly used as a derogatory term for a human female.
    It's more the difference between deer and dear. Here when someone calls you dear, we almost never think they believe we are a ruminant quadraped of the family cervidae, despite the words sounding the same, and so no one is offended. Or confused.

According to Wiktionary*, It is still the first meaning of the word... All other are derogatory or slang...

BTW Ronald (this is a personal, impolite question, please ignore if you don't like that) - your name seems very Dutch... Are you of (recent) Dutch origin?

My grandfather had plans to move, with the whole familiy, to Australia somewhere in the 1950s... But he didn't. I prolly wouldn't have been born so I can't say I regret his final decision (well sometimes I do, when I have a dayshift on a midwinter sunday and have to get up at 6:00 AM Sometimes, life's a female canine.)

* Even the URL got censored!!! Are we still allowed to call the 7th planet from the solar system by it's proper name?? Or would it be changed to Ur****? Or Urbuttox?

Seriously, I think this a bit too bizarre. Of course I am not running this site and not paying to keep it up, and I appreciate it being here and being protected against foul language, but out of a scientific-philosophic point of view, I think that censoring URLs is a bad thing... Would it be possible to change the auto-censor (because I think it's an automated thing) to exclude URLs from it?

It's more the difference between deer and dear. Here when someone calls you dear, we almost never think they believe we are a ruminant quadraped of the family cervidae, despite the words sounding the same, and so no one is offended. Or confused.
    When in Rome...

When in Rome...
    ...Be a Roman candle!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonhead View Post
    . . . Sometimes, life's a female canine. . . .
    . . . then we astrally project to the surface of Uranus (or then you die).

Smile

I thought about it my aunt's poodles just had a litter and I wondered did she know that she was pregnant until she went into labor. Did she think all the cramps were stomach aches?
    Some people will swear to you that animals don't think at all. That tells you how hard it would be to answer your question.
    On the other hand, that makes the challenge of answering it all the more interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Bessler007 View Post
    . . . then we astrally project to the surface of Uranus (or then you die).
    I guess you just said to see if you could write Ur****... True or not true?