Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Alejandro - Mayan Elder.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Different people are made happy by different things.
    That's true. Mine involves the Mrs., a trampoline, a car battery, and some soy sauce.

Either way, one can certainlly find something in the world that will make one happy instead of just believing that doomsday is never more than ten years away.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Either way, one can certainlly find something in the world that will make one happy instead of just believing that doomsday is never more than ten years away.
    They aren't trying to find something to make them happy. They're trying to find something to make them feel special.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

They aren't trying to find something to make them happy. They're trying to find something to make them feel special.
    They should try to break a world record for orange rolling or some such.

They should try to break a world record for orange rolling or some such.
    They tried, but the Illuminati secretly thwarted them.

They tried, but the Illuminati secretly thwarted them.
    So now you're telling me GWR is Illuminati?

So now you're telling me GWR is Illuminati?
    No, the orange growers' association.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

No, the orange growers' association.
    Wow, I'm not the only one who knows what GWR stands for!
    Guiness World Records

You're both right, since everyone in the world is a member of the Illuminati except for a few conspiracy theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
    You're both right, since everyone in the world is a member of the Illuminati except for a few conspiracy theorists.
    Then where's my damn parking space?

And why don't I have a better grade in Math than 75?

I'm not an historian, nor a very competent astronomer, but one thing that continues to stick in my craw is that I doubt seriously that ancient Mayans knew what a Galaxy was. They may have had their orbital movements down, and seasonal changes down, but to even speculate that they knew about galaxies is pretty far fetched. Senor Carlos seems to be embelishing the myths for effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jayvinton View Post
    I'm not an historian, nor a very competent astronomer, but one thing that continues to stick in my craw is that I doubt seriously that ancient Mayans knew what a Galaxy was. They may have had their orbital movements down, and seasonal changes down, but to even speculate that they knew about galaxies is pretty far fetched. Senor Carlos seems to be embelishing the myths for effect.
    They could see the stream of denser stars across the sky that gave its name to the Milky Way.

They could see the stream of denser stars across the sky that gave its name to the Milky Way.
    Yes. They also could see the constellation Gemini and it appears on much of their pottery as a pig-like figure.

I'm sorry, but all this talk of the Mayan Elder reminds me of a story. (Those interested in the thread topic only should move along now.)

A researcher in geriatrics decided to interview old people around the world to find out what their secrets to long life were and see if there was a commonality he could use. He visited old people in Lapland, Siberia, SE Asia, Africa, South America... Finally, he found himself in the Yucatan, in a small village, when he noticed a wizened man sitting with his back against the wall of his hut.

"My God," thought the researcher, "This must be the oldest man alive. He's all skin and bones, sunken cheeks, thinned hair, no teeth, frail and shaking. I must find out his sceret."

So, he approached the man and asked him about his life style, his daily routine.

"Well," said the man, frail voice crackking, "each morning I wake up at dawn, smoke a cigar, make love to a beautiful woman, then eat a big breakfast of bacon and eggs washed down by a bottle of tequila. I smoke two more cigars while I watch the satellite tv until lunch... lots of meat and cheese, another bottle of tequila. After lunch, I make love to two beautiful women until dinner, when I have meat and potatoes, washed down by a bottle of tequila. For dessert, I have two helpings of flan and several sweet cakes. I smoke a couple more cigars and drink more tequila, then I go to bed with a beautiful woman and make love until almost dawn."

"Wow!" said the researcher. "That's some life style. And, just how old are you?"

"Well," squeaked the man, "next month I will be... 28."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board