Thread: Phil at Turtle Bay in Redding, CA

Phil at Turtle Bay in Redding, CA

Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.. but a couple minutes ago my hubby just called me to say he saw a flier saying Phil was coming to our small backwards town of Redding, California, I was so excited, I had to sign up to ask what to expect and course wonder who suckered him into coming here The website didn't have much information except time and date and he was going to talk about the moon hoax. I assume he will be signing books to?

Welcome, Moostang.

Cool news, when's he going?
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Moostang View Post
    ...a couple minutes ago my hubby just called me to say he saw a flier saying Phil was coming to our small backwards town of Redding, California...
    Excellent...I live only a few hours drive away.

...I was so excited, I had to sign up to ask what to expect...
    Well, for one thing, Phil's talks are "famous" for his use of bad puns.

The website didn't have much information except time and date and he was going to talk about the moon hoax.
    Could you be more specific?...What date and time??

...and Welcome to the board!

Re. day and time... http://www.turtlebay.org/

DARN...on Dec. 6th I'll be in southern CA, so I guess I'm going to miss this...

DARN!!

And of course, there's no point in asking Phil if he'll make it a birthday present to me and come to Olympia instead! (I'd know what I was doing for my birthday if he did.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Thanks for the welcome, this is real exciting, normally if I want to go to any interesting we usually have to drive down to Sacramento.
    I am SO excited, I finally get to see if there are any other science geeks/skeptics up here!

I do have to say.. thank goodness for my husband's starbucks addiction.. that is where he saw the flier, otherwise I would have never known.

No perfect place for this thread, but I think this is the most reasonable. Left a temporary redirect.

ToSeek
    BAUT Forum Moderator
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

And of course, there's no point in asking Phil if he'll make it a birthday present to me and come to Olympia instead!
    If you want, I'll PM you a funny story or something of that nature on your birthday.

I saw on his blog he'll be in Redding. My first thought was "sweet, I'd love to hear!".

Then I realized two things. One--it is today. Two--I still don't have a car and it's ~200 miles or a little more (I think...*runs over to the big google map on the wall...). I'll content myself with reading and maybe see if one of the schools up that way will be streaming the presentation live on radio.

Moostang (or anyone else up that way) you know of any radio stations that may carry? I guess he's not at a university, so it's a lot less likely. I'll post back if i find anything.

I really doubt it, Redding is not a big town and from the years I have been here, it doesn't come off as a science appreciative place.. I would even be surprised to see if he makes the paper.

...I would even be surprised to see if he makes the paper.
    What a sad day! I'll just read. Also I got invited to dinner so I should get ready for that too. :S

Ok.. everyone line up.. time to bask in my glory.. kiss my feet.. and let the ooohhhs and ahhhhs fly.

The talk was great, Phil was full of information and jokes and I would go to see him again if I have the chance.

The turnout was what I would call big for this town.. but small in general. I am still waiting to see if he makes it into the paper, we think we saw one of the local reporters there, but knowing this paper, if they put him in they will probably spell his name wrong (they managed to spell my name wrong 2x, 2 different ways in the same article).

I did my best to try to make the man blush by asking him if we would have the honor of seeing him in another skepchick calendar then finishing the question off with "nice equipment"

Ok.. so why do I ask you to kiss my feet, because afterwards we got some time to talk to him and got him to sign my book and he also took the time to go through my edition to tell me about corrections made (marking up the book on the way )

All I have to say is Phil is a SUPER nice guy, of course I didn't expect anything else.

I'll keep my eye open for something in the paper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	philbook.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	6805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phil2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	6806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phil3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	6807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phil4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	6808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phil5.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	6809  

FYI, nothing in the local paper today, Top stories.. Hardware store with 5 employees shuts down after 5 years of business, and damage to school property in the next county over by someone doing donuts on the school's fields and parkinglot.
    You can see what the people in this town think is interesting..

Lucky you, Moostang!

FYI, nothing in the local paper today, Top stories.. Hardware store with 5 employees shuts down after 5 years of business, and damage to school property in the next county over by someone doing donuts on the school's fields and parkinglot.
    You can see what the people in this town think is interesting..
    As you probably all know by now, there was a write up in your local paper: http://tinyurl.com/2jywl2

What I found most interesting was the comments that came afterwards. All I can say is.. "WOW."

Anyway, if I ever get the opportunity to hear Phil speak I'm going to grab it. It really looks like it was interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by LyleDAL View Post
    What I found most interesting was the comments that came afterwards. All I can say is.. "WOW."
    Nothing surprising in those comments. Public fora tend to attract the extreme views. All of whom are convinced they're the persecuted, victimized or endangered minority.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Seriously, though, when the textbooks don't mention one of the remarkable Space Exploration accievements of the 1970's, even in passing, you know it's messed up.

Ahh yet another reason why I don't buy the local paper...

I am thinking of finding the write up from someone who gets the paper and taking a picture of my horse defecating on it. That is really the only thing this local paper is good for.. well that and helping to get the wood stove started.

Kind of funny that out of all of the words for a crazy person, they chose to use "moonbat".