Thread: Good Idea::Bad Idea

Good Idea::Bad Idea

Boy's Invention Keeps the Lid On

Okay, I just couldn't stay away from this one. This boy "invented" a foot-activated pedal that raises/lowers the toilet seat. (Think flip-top garbage cans). I like when kids are creative.

But there's still plenty of humor here. For instance;

While her son, who is in the school's Talented and Gifted program, manages assignments with ease, he has one weak spot: remembering to lower the seat after he's done, Beth Wulf said.
    then
    "My mom was getting mad at me for forgetting to put the toilet seat down and she was falling in," said Jake, a fourth-grader at Odebolt-Arthur Elementary School.
    So, the kid who is "talented and gifted" is the offspring of a woman who apparently lacks the ability to learn from past experiences, and continues to sit on the toilet without first looking. Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

And, to throw in the mandatory current-events joke; there is one big flaw with this kids foot-pedal invention. Didn't we all recently learn it is not wise to tap your foot while in the restroom?

Tapping, not peddling. er... pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    (Think flip-top garbage cans)
    Is that what you call them in the States? We call them pedal bins in England.

And I liked the p*litic*l joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Is that what you call them in the States? We call them pedal bins in England.
    Random trivia--they were invented by Dr. Lillian Gilbreth, the mother of the family from Cheaper by the Dozen (the original of which is based on a real family, for those who didn't know). She and her husband were efficiency experts.

As to falling in--I don't always turn on the lights if I go to use the bathroom at night. Since I live with Graham, who doesn't put the seat down, I check first, but it did take some time for me to get used to that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah, so would you be offended if we started refering to you as 'ol soggy bottom then?

P.S., I *always* turn on the lights when I go to the restroom at night. Otherwise the ghosts, or worse, Bloody Marry, might get you!

Okay, I just couldn't stay away from this one. This boy "invented" a foot-activated pedal that raises/lowers the toilet seat. (Think flip-top garbage cans). I like when kids are creative.
    I too, like when kids are creative.
    The problem is, that this idea is not anything new. So the kid is creative. Give hime credit for the creativity, but not the invention.

It's been thought of. Patents 5404595 AND 4584724 for example.

Wasn't this the same show that presented the kid that invented the wedgie proof underwear?

At what point is the show exploiting the children?

Yes, it was the same show. And that wasn't really wedgie proof underwear (tho that's what it's "marketed" as); it's easily removable underwear. If they had designed them in thong and bikini versions, I'd move to nominate them for the next Nobel prize.

I'm curious as to the other "child-inventions", but not curious enough to watch Ellen's show.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Random trivia--they were invented by Dr. Lillian Gilbreth, the mother of the family from Cheaper by the Dozen (the original of which is based on a real family, for those who didn't know). She and her husband were efficiency experts.

As to falling in--I don't always turn on the lights if I go to use the bathroom at night. Since I live with Graham, who doesn't put the seat down, I check first, but it did take some time for me to get used to that.
    Good rule of thumb; always look at something before sitting on it. You never know what might be left by accident on a chair (or intentionally by someone with a pre-adolescent sense of humor) and for non-chair furnishings, the potential for mayhem is even greater.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

If they had designed them in thong and bikini versions, I'd move to nominate them for the next Nobel prize.
    Wedgie proof thong? No wonder it would deserve a Nobel. I thought that was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername
    Good rule of thumb; always look at something before sitting on it. You never know what might be left by accident on a chair (or intentionally by someone with a pre-adolescent sense of humor) and for non-chair furnishings, the potential for mayhem is even greater.
    Yes; the perfect candidates for whoopie cushions.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Yes; the perfect candidates for whoopie cushions.
    I was thinking more of those pinheads who left thumbtacks on teachers' chairs in school.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I was thinking more of those pinheads who left thumbtacks on teachers' chairs in school.
    Really? I was think'n more like unattended slices of pie. I hate when people carelessly sit on my pie!

Good rule of thumb; always look at something before sitting on it.
    Also: never reach into a blind place with your dominant hand.

30 girls + two bathrooms = bad idea.

Re: Good Idea::Bad Idea

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    30 girls + two bathrooms = bad idea.
    That's when the bushes you planted in the yard come in handy.

I always turn the light on. Not doing so would be like trying to pitch a strike with your eyes closed.