Thread: Episode 59: Saturn

Post Episode 59: Saturn

Returning to our tour of the solar system, let's voyage away from the largest planet to the second largest, Saturn. Once again, we'll break up our visit because there's lots to talk about. ...

Read the full blog entry

Is the Saturn system spelt Cronian, as in Cronus (Greek for Saturn)?

Quote Originally Posted by Freiddie View Post
    Is the Saturn system spelt Cronian, as in Cronus (Greek for Saturn)?
    Both Cronus and Kronus seem to be used interchangably, same with Cronian and Kronian.

-Rebecca B-F

Thanks.

Cronos/Kronos

As stated by others Cronos is the Greek equivalent of the Roman Saturn.

The Wikipedia entry explains at the bottom of the page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronus

Good enough for me!

My First Viewing of Saturn

As mentioned in episode 59, one never forgets seeing Saturn through a telescope for the first time. I remember when I saw this amazing planet with my own eyes for the first time.

When I was in high school (this was sometime in 1980), I was out at night running around with my close friends, just having fun. We had no specific destination, but somehow ended up at the Griffith Park Observatory. That evening, the Observatory's small telescope was open to the public and pointed at Saturn. We joined the queue out in the evening air on the rooftop and goofed around while waiting to see a planet. Thinking that this was just something 'fun', I had no expectations whatsoever.

When it was finally my turn, I stepped up to the telescope. It was housed in one of the Observatory's small brass domes and pointed at a characteristic mechanical angle into the night sky. I peered into the eye piece and saw Saturn.

There it was, hanging there - a bright round sphere sourrounded by its unique disc with the main division clearly visible. I was awestruck.

To this day, seeing Saturn with my own eyes through a telescope for the first time is the one singular astronomical event that is ever ingrained in my memory. The moment was special. The vision was special. The time was special. And the Observatory and telescope - that evening, I gained a new respect for astronomy which I never had before. I will always remember that evening, that moment, where I was, what I was doing, and how I felt.

Anyway, I thank Fraser and Pam. Listening to episode 59 not only brought me back to that special event, but reminded me of how astronomy became an important part of my life.

Regards.

Arrow Recent Article

This is a recent article on Saturn's Rings:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7141628.stm