Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 71

Thread: Astronaut: We've had visitors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,835

    Astronaut: We've had visitors

    http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/18/Ne..._ve_had_.shtml

    Thus declared Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell on Saturday to more than 200 admirers.
    "A few insiders know the truth . . . and are studying the bodies that have been discovered," said Mitchell, who was the sixth man to walk on the moon.
    Mitchell, who landed on the moon with Alan B. Shepard, said a "cabal" of insiders stopped briefing presidents about extraterrestrials after President Kennedy.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,206
    He is very cryptic.
    Why doesn't he just say, where the aliens were found, where did they come from, why is it being covered up, how much should we pay him, is he the appointed prophet...........
    Sounds like a promotion to me.
    Because he went to the moon and has a doctorate does not mean he is immune to becoming a woo woo.
    Of course I could be wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,999
    We have discussed Mitchell's claims here before; he doesn't have, nor does he claim to have, first hand knowledge of any extraterrestrial encounters; he is only reporting what he remembers other people saying to him.

    We don't know how accurate his memories are, or how accurate the information he claims he was given, or the motives of those people.
    Basically, this is hearsay evidence, and doesn't prove very much at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    5,930
    From Google moon: Apollo 14 Marker 1:

    As they unfolded the MET, Mitchell dryly remarked, “We’ve had visitors again.” The backup crew for Apollo 14 had left the prime crew a present in the MET — a parody mission patch, seen here in this picture from the ALSJ. The backup crew had designed it themselves as an “alternative” to the real Apollo 14 patch. It depicted Wile E. Coyote, who represented the prime crew, heading to the Moon only to find that the Roadrunner, representing the backup crew, had gotten there first. The patches were left in various places in the Apollo 14 spacecraft for Mitchell, Shepard, and Roosa to find during their mission.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    8,831
    Quote Originally Posted by mfumbesi View Post
    Because he went to the moon and has a doctorate does not mean he is immune to becoming a woo woo.
    Of course I could be wrong.
    No you´re not wrong. Anyone can enter a mind degenaration process.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,534
    Poor guy. He can't hang around with his fellow woo-woos because they all think he is part of the big evil government conspiracy. Bless.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,835
    I'm surprised that a member of, probably America's most sane individuals, can be so out of his mind.

    And why is this a "woo woo"? I'm not subscribing to his claims, but I don't see how this can be categorized along with Face-on-Mars and Apollo Hoax theories.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    I'm surprised that a member of, probably America's most sane individuals, can be so out of his mind.

    And why is this a "woo woo"? I'm not subscribing to his claims, but I don't see how this can be categorized along with Face-on-Mars and Apollo Hoax theories.
    Well you could go either way on the greys-in-the-basement-in-roswell stuff, but when I read the expanding-conciousness stuff I began thinking the life support on Apollo 14 mustve malfunctioned.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    ...I don't see how this can be categorized along with Face-on-Mars and Apollo Hoax theories.
    Both these claims (and the "aliens" claim) lack any supportive evidence whatsoever...that is how they can be "categorized" as the same.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Damburger View Post
    Well you could go either way on the greys-in-the-basement-in-roswell stuff...
    Can you explain what you mean by "go either way"??

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Both these claims (and the "aliens" claim) lack any supportive evidence whatsoever...that is how they can be "categorized" as the same.
    You can prove they went to the moon, you have evidence to think the shapes on Mars are only a figment of imagination, but I don't think you can prove the aliens never visited.

    Just my $ 0.02.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,218
    Moved from "Life in Space" to "Conspiracy Theories", with a redirect.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by "go either way"??
    Despite lacking material evidence, little green men don't violate the laws of physics. Paranormal phenomena, by definition, do.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    ...I don't think you can prove the aliens never visited.
    Of course not...science is not in the "business" of proving non-existance, however I don't see why that would make it different from other "woo" claims. (such as the Moon hoax)

    Woo is woo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Damburger View Post
    Despite lacking material evidence, little green men don't violate the laws of physics.
    You've never heard of UFO's making high speed, right angle turns?

    ...and what do you mean, "despite lacking material evidence"?

    I am unaware of any credble evidence indicating that aliens are "real".

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    No you´re not wrong. Anyone can enter a mind degenaration process.
    Yes indeed, and he is not the only one.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Mitchell

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Cooper

    To this day, aproximately 463 astronauts of all nations are know as such, so it would be interesting how many others american astrounats share the same views as Mitchell and Cooper, if there is another ones.

    And that´s not it, the degeneration process goes beyond nations too:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Popovich

    It seems that astrounauts have one of the highest ratio of "degeneration ufo process" of all professional working groups that you can imagine.

    Sorry for my english.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion437 View Post
    It seems that astrounauts have one of the highest ratio of "degeneration ufo process" of all professional working groups that you can imagine.
    If you're talking about belief in alien visitors, then I just don't see that a few "believers" in the astronaut corp constitutes a "high ratio".

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    (snip)

    Woo is woo

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion437 View Post
    Yes indeed, and he is not the only one.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Mitchell
    Two from the same flight? Was Alan Shepherd hogging the oxygen or something?

    Edit: Oops, didn't notice you had posted the same guy.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,165
    Ed Mitchell has been promoting this woo for a long time. Here's an interview with him and four other astronauts when they were on Oprah. From 1991.

    [At this point, questions were taken from the audience. A nervous young man asked the following question:- ]

    MAN: Um yes. Do you feel that the Government hides anything from us? For example, you see all these stories about people that say they've been abducted and raped -- women that've been raped -- and they say that it's a real factual story and that tons of people have seen it...

    OPRAH: By ETs? What paper was this is in?

    MAN: Did you see that show (where) they said the lights were coming down and the police were out watching...? Do you think that the Government hides any of that?

    DUKE: No, I don't. Not in NASA. We were completely open. We couldn't even have a private conversation without it being blasted out to the world. I remember John (Young) and I were talking and we had a problem with, uh, our microphone stuck open and he was cussing and it went out to everybody. No bleeps!

    OPRAH: Ed, what do you say, you're shaking your head?

    MITCHELL: Well, I agree with what Charlie is saying about the NASA program -- there was nothing at all hidden in that -- but I do believe that there's a lot more known about, uh, extra-terrestrial investigation than is available to the public right now; has been for a long time.

    OPRAH: And why do you think it's kept from the public?

    MITCHELL: Oh well, that's a long, long story. It goes back to World War II when all of that happened, and highly classified stuff.

    ALDRIN: It makes for great book-selling...

    MITCHELL: Yeah...
    Buzz said it perfectly.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion437 View Post
    It seems that astronauts have one of the highest ratio of "degeneration ufo process" of all professional working groups that you can imagine.

    .
    I understand that one or two other space-going individuals have beliefs along those lines too; however I suspect that the opposite to your statement is true, and the ratio of belief is a relatively low ratio. Three confirmed examples out of 463 is less than one percent; that is a quite low ratio if you ask me.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    11,449
    Mitchell had extraordinary views even before being chosen as an Apollo astronaut. His more recent comments about the knowledge of government officials isn't really anything new and can't be dismissed as dementia. He has sanely discussed this claim with any who asked. Basically he has information from sources he considers reliable that the U.S. government has some secret knowledge of extraterrestrial activity. He hasn't shared the identity of the source or the nature and confidence of the information, and he understands if people aren't willing to accept that as evidence.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13,317
    From Google moon: Apollo 14 Marker 1:
    Yup. Something about logical explanations give me that warm, fuzzy feeling. Kinda like hugging your teddy bear to keep the closet monsters away.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion437 View Post
    Yes indeed, and he is not the only one.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Mitchell

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Cooper

    To this day, aproximately 463 astronauts of all nations are know as such, so it would be interesting how many others american astrounats share the same views as Mitchell and Cooper, if there is another ones.

    And that´s not it, the degeneration process goes beyond nations too:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Popovich

    It seems that astrounauts have one of the highest ratio of "degeneration ufo process" of all professional working groups that you can imagine.

    Sorry for my english.
    I don't think it's fair to compare someone who honestly believes they saw an alien spacecraft to someone who suffers a real "degenerate" line of ufo thought and claims a conspiracy without any real evidence or even seeing anything themselves. Gordo's personal sighting may not be of value in a scientific sense, but I personally think it's reason enough to cut him some slack rather than categorize him as just another ufo degenerate. He had every opportunity to feed the nonsense when rumors started flying that he saw something during mercury, but he denied it instead. And while his memory of the "film" incident during gemini may make the story sound more incredible coming from him than it really was, once again this is a personal experience which contains a shred of truth; the pentagon did take the film from the gemini manned reconnisance experiment before he was even off the carrier, but it's not true that the pictures are still secret or hidden. I don't think he ever claimed that those photos were part of any alien conspiracy though - you know he would have if he had been truly a woo woo.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Damburger View Post
    Well you could go either way on the greys-in-the-basement-in-roswell stuff, but when I read the expanding-conciousness stuff I began thinking the life support on Apollo 14 mustve malfunctioned.
    I see nothing productive whatsoever in that comment.

    You don't agree with him? Great; I don't either. But I have no evidence at all that he is brain damaged simply because his opinion differs from ours.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13,317
    Give it up now!
    W-E-A-T-H-E-R
    B-A-L-O-O-N!
    Roswell, Roswell!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    102
    Roswell was not a top secret weather balloon. Give it up! They wouldn't need loads of flights out of Roswell to relocate a weather balloon.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by SLF:JAQ SFDJS View Post
    Roswell was not a top secret weather balloon. Give it up! They wouldn't need loads of flights out of Roswell to relocate a weather balloon.
    Please produce any evidence you have to back up this statement.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    9,178
    SLF:JAQ SFDJS, you have stopped participating in several previous threads with questions posed to you left unanswered. I sincerely hope that you will answer any and all pertinent questions put to you in the threads in which you are currently participating.

    Serenitude has asked a question. Do you have evidence to support your claim? If so, please present it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    11,449
    I may be wrong, but I believe the Air Force explains the Roswell debris as having come from a novel radar target balloon, not from a weather balloon. While it may be extraordinary to marshall a search party for an ordinary weather balloon, it does not seem inappropriate to search for a special balloon and payload associated with secret radar research and lost in an accident.

Similar Threads

  1. Theory on alien visitors
    By Ammonia in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 2009-Dec-04, 03:46 PM
  2. The Visitors Are Back!
    By sanman in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 2009-Nov-04, 07:04 PM
  3. warning for g.l.p visitors
    By boppa in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-Dec-23, 01:20 AM
  4. VISITORS IN AUSTRALIA's PAST
    By etvisitor7 in forum Life in Space
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-Aug-28, 06:44 PM
  5. We Missed Some Little Green Visitors!
    By Luke in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2004-May-23, 08:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: