Thread: Ic 10

Ic 10

I was going to post my Veil but then several showed up here. Then I did the bubble but others showed up. Ditto B33.

So I processed this one from early September. Clouds prevented me from getting the H-alpha I wanted so this is just an LRGB image.

IC 10 is a dwarf starburst galaxy. The closest of the starburst galaxies at about 2.8 to 4.5 million light years depending on who you believe. It may or may not orbit M31, again opinions vary.

It is high in Cepheus and seen through a heck of a lot of dust in our galaxy. This is why the stars have a red cast even though it contains more highly luminous blue stars than most galaxies. Our galaxy's dust turns everything red as it scatters and aborbs shorter wavelengths. This is why I'd like to get some H alpha to tell how much is due to HII regions and how much is just reddening from our galaxy's dust. It's obviously highly obscured as no faint distant fuzzies show up in the full frame; this is highly cropped for bandwidth limits. Normally I'd pick up dozens in the 70 minutes of Luminosity exposure. I wanted more data but the clouds had other ideas. Without the H-alpha the HII regions don't stand out like I had wanted them to. If the sky ever clears I'll try and get some more data.

For more on this dwarf galaxy see:
    http://www.keckobservatory.org/article.php?id=142

14" LX200R, L=7x10', RGB=only 1x10 each due to clouds, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

At least it is something different if incomplete.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

An interesting galaxy. It appears to offer a lot of highlights, and you're right, Ha and more time in each channel would yield a great image. Hope your clouds abate while it is up high enough for you to work on it.

Robert

I don't think you can get a "great" image of this guy. At 3 degrees from the galactic plane it is amazing we see it at all. I don't think Maffei 1 and 2 are any deeper in the gunk than this guy is.

It was clear last night and I started a 2 hour H-alpha run. 15 minutes in it was completely overcast! But I'd gone to bed and didn't discover that until morning. At least it didn't rain.

Rick

It may not be "great" but it is cool to see images of the strange blobs that are out there.

On the clouds / rain -- have you considered getting a Boltwood Cloud Sensor?

We only see what gets through the gunk of our galaxy's dust plane. It may look very different from a different angle.

They've been out of stock for months but just now are back. I ordered one but it was returned because their shipper doesn't deliver here. They only deliver by drop shipping direct from the factory and that requires that shipper due to customs. They come from Canada. So it is being resent to the dealer then he'll send it by UPS to me. But just got word the dealer goofed and also used that shipper and got it back so it is still out there playing ping pong. I may see it before I croak. UPS is the only service that recognizes where I'm at. Even the Post Office makes me drive 20 miles for packages, they only deliver up to 1 pound and that's to a box I have to drive over a mile to get to. UPS delivers to the door. You pay a penalty for dark skies it seems.

I didn't design the roof to work by computer so it will take a bit of redoing to fully integrate it to close the roof. Until then I'll set the alarm to wake me.

Rick

Looking forward to your H alpha Rick. I don't know that more colour exposure will enhance it much for all the dust. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards
    Matt

Rick you have a great shot of ic10, A first for me and it looks like a very interesting subject. looking forward in the Ha imaging lots of young stars. Weldone and Clear Skies