Thread: Low Energy Light Bulbs

Low Energy Light Bulbs

It appears that the UK Government has decided to outlaw traditional "high energy" light bulbs starting next year.

The point of this thread is not to debate the rights and wrongs of either this specific issue, or the contribution (or otherwise) of CO2 emissions to climate change, but simply to ask a question about Low Energy bulbs.

My wife and I have used LE bulbs in our house for all of our married life (15 years+), with the the exception of one light ... the bathroom. The reason we have never used one in here is that all the LE bulbs we have ever used have specifically stated on the packaging that they are not suitable for use here, which I have always assumed was to do with the level of moisture relative to the rest of the house.

Question is ... as the trad bullbs are on the way out, is this whole not using LE bulbs in the bathroom a genuine concern? And, if so, what are our alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gorsky View Post
    Question is ... as the trad bullbs are on the way out, is this whole not using LE bulbs in the bathroom a genuine concern? And, if so, what are our alternatives?
    From what I've seen around the Web (Google cfl bulbs bathroom), some compact fluorescent bulbs are not suitable for bathrooms. Some are. Check the packaging.

EnergyStar: Can I use CFLs in the bathroom?

You can use ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs in bathrooms; however, high humidity can shorten the life of CFLs. To avoid moisture problems generally, control humidity in your bathroom by running your ventilating fan during and 15 minutes after showers and baths.
    And if CFLs don't fit, perhaps other low-energy solutions would, like LEDs.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gorsky View Post
    According to here:

http://members.misty.com/don/cfapp.html#br

A common complaint is short life of compact fluorescent lamps in bathrooms. I blame mainly frequent starting, although many also blame high humidity.
    I recommend models that have gentler starting methods to reduce the wear from having a large number of starts.

Ones to avoid in bathrooms: Those with glow switch starters. These are mainly ones where the bulbs are separate from the ballasts and the bulbs have 2 pins with a boxlike protrusion between the pins. This includes mainly "PL", "PLC", "twintube" and "doubletwintube" types.

Others to avoid are GE's older FLB and FLG types - mainly 15 watt and largely obsolete now.

The best ones are probably non-spiral models with electronic ballasts and of the "Big Three" brands - Sylvania, Philips and GE. However, I have seen Sylvania spirals show signs that they have a gentle starting method. In addition, I have noticed 23 watt spirals of a non-"Big 3" brand, namely Feit Electric, have a gentler starting method (updated 4/24/2005).
    One model that appears especially good except for one drawback is Sylvania's globe shaped "Dulux EL" models, available at Lowes. The drawback is that the color is slightly whiter, pinker and less yellow than incandescents and most other compact fluorescents.

I've had CFLs in two bathrooms for several years and they haven't died yet. I think they're all Philips. These aren't quite instant start - they come up in under a second, but it's long enough to notice if you're used to incandescents. You get used to it pretty quick, though.

I don't attempt to control the humidity in either bathroom, though in one the bulbs are enclosed.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Hmm..I think I remember a thread that is related to this.

"Banning Light Bulbs" ..?

Our school is considering "going green", but I don't think it will happen while I'm studing here.

...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Yeah , you got the link .