Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not my fault

According to this CNN video, fashion models don't know how to feed themselves.

Kate Moss says nobody ever fed her, and 6 others died.

Now; I too believe that the models are unrealistic and that there's plenty of blame to go around, but it's comments like those that just make you shake your head.

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1 View Post
    Okay, you know what? you need to put some kind of warning that the first thing you are going to see when you click on the link is a gnarly tarantula. I had a mouth full of food that I could no longer swallow.

I don't agree that fast food is addictive by any means. What are the ingredients that make it so?
    It may or may not be addicting but I think it's more that it tastes good so you want it again. Personally, McDonald's/Wendy's/Burger King, they all lost their flavor and the feeling you get afterwards is not worth the convenience but KFC chicken is too good to eliminate.

Are you a bit behind in your reading?

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Okay, you know what? you need to put some kind of warning that the first thing you are going to see when you click on the link is a gnarly tarantula. I had a mouth full of food that I could no longer swallow.
    I agree.

That tarantula made me too hungry for dull ol' mundane food too.

Here's one that sounds like a legal shift the blame type of knee-jerk reaction.

First the background story.
    Fatal accident with RTA bus, pedestrian caught on tape
    (It is a text story with accompanied video)
    Quickly: A transit bus turns left and hits a pedestrian in a crosswalk in a busy downtown area.
    From what I see on the tape, the crosswalk sign also indicated "walk".
    The driver had hit a pedestrian before, got fired, appealed, and re-hired.

Now:
    buses in Cleveland now beep and honk when turning at intersections
    Most of the buses have now been wired to beep automatically when turning. Drivers also have been instructed to sound their horns.
    Just great...
    Pro: It would alert someone to an approaching bus.
    Con: You have now turned the pedestrian into an unpredictable target.
    Con: There's enough noise already, who's even going to pay attention?
    Con: What percent of the people actually can or would take action? how many would even notice that it was a warning to them, or even hear it in the first place?

What's wrong with some driver training?

First, I applaud the journalism in the video, in that they addressed a very important question; why the driver was allowed back to work after the first incident. Many stories would be happy to just mention it had happened to her before, but leave the details completely unexplored.

Second; it does look like he had the right of way (I can't see clear enough to be sure that's the "walk" indicator and not the "dont walk"). Regardless, he was hit by the front drivers-side of the buss, right where the driver should have been looking.

Oh well, it's easy to sit back and say what should have been done after the incident. Who knows what all was going on. I guess that's for the investigators / courts to decide.

Today, I will be going to the clinic. I take the bus, even though I now have a car, because it's actually more convenient. I have to cross two streets from the bus stop. One of them is the street where pretty much all the buses turn right. I make sure I've caught the driver's eye. Yes, it's the driver's responsibility not to hit me. However, I firmly believe that everyone should be aware of the space around them. You wouldn't believe how many times people have nearly made right-hand turns into me; the problem is assuredly not limited to buses.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yes, it's the driver's responsibility not to hit me.
    See, too many people just say (and I know this is not what you said) "I have right of way. It's their fault if they hit me."

Which is right, but does it really matter to you if it's the other persons fault when you're the one that's dead because you got hit?

Somewhere along the line, many people seemed to develop the idea that not being at fault means they won't have to suffer any consequences.

Just to turn this to a full-fledged rant; in insurance, we deal with a lot of claims from accidents. It can get frusterating how many of them could have been avoided if the not-at-fault party would have been more defensive.

Well, Fazor, if they all did that you'd be unemployed, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Well, Fazor, if they all did that you'd be unemployed, wouldn't you?
    Auto insurance is required for drivers in Ohio. If they didn't have accidents I'd make a helluva lot more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    See, too many people just say (and I know this is not what you said) "I have right of way. It's their fault if they hit me."
    Lo, these many years ago, I was student aide in a drivers' ed course, back when the Pasadena Unified School District still offered drivers' ed. The teacher's girlfriend believed that she should be allowed to hit jaywalkers, because she had the right of way. I'm not sure how serious she was, but it was presented by the teacher as reasonably serious.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I'm sure that word of this is known by now.

Apple apologizes for Baby Shaker iPhone Game

I would like to know how it got past them in the first place. But; aside from that, I went to the app writer's website to see what they had to say about it.

Ok; they acknowledge it was a bad idea.
    Yes, the Baby Shaker iPhone app was a bad idea.
    But; they give no apology, and then explain what Apple did. It almost sounds like they are passing the blame to Apple.

This one sounds like it could be a real life similarity to the joke about still having money because there's still some checks left...

Wash. woman accused of identity theft...

"Her dog got into her purse and ate all her personal checks." The 50-year-old woman reportedly told police she had no choice but to take money from her former husband's account.

First, an update to the story about buses needing to honk so pedestrians can get out of the way.

It turns out that the bus driver was making a cell phone call at the time.
    And yes, the honking buses are confusing, if not useless.

Next:

Teen Sets Self On Fire To Imitate YouTube Clip

McCrea said the boys were trying to copy a stunt they saw on the video sharing Web site, YouTube, where a man in a banana suit lights himself on fire. She warned other parents to closely monitor the online activities of their children and wants YouTube to tighten its user guidelines. She believes YouTube is partially to blame for her son' pain.
    I think 13 years old is old enough to know not to play with fire. If this kid didn't know that, then it's not a matter of monitoring the online activities, it's a matter of monitoring the actions and education of your kid.

At the very least, he should have been wearing a banana suit.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    At the very least, he should have been wearing a banana suit.
    Ha!

I still argue they need to change the "Don't try this at home!" disclaimer to "Don't try this at home ... come up with your own stupid stunts, you unimaginative losers!"

I remember seeing one of those "caught on video!" shows where some teens got tired of regular street hockey, so they doused the ball with kerosene and played "fireball hockey!" . . . then when that turned out to be less dangerous than they hoped, the goalie doused his pads in kerosene. Needless to say, as soon as he blocked a shot, his foam pads became flaming, melting goo. He had some fairly serious burns, but nothing life threatening. He was lucky.

If your child is over the age of about four and thinks "hey, lighting myself on fire would be fun," you should take your child in for evaluation. There's probably developmental issues in play.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    If your child is over the age of about four and thinks "hey, lighting myself on fire would be fun," you should take your child in for evaluation. There's probably developmental issues in play.
    Or he's a male. We set ourselves on fire, purposely or accidentally, at most of our college parties.

Of course, we tried to make sure we weren't covered in anything too flammable first. . .

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Or he's a male. We set ourselves on fire, purposely or accidentally, at most of our college parties.

Of course, we tried to make sure we weren't covered in anything too flammable first. . .
    Yeah, you probably ingested most of them beforehand!
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Quote Originally Posted by AstroRockHunter View Post
    Yeah, you probably ingested most of them beforehand!
    T'was the objective, anyway.

AT&T Blames Database Error for Old Listings in Canton Phone Book

Or better said as, "It wasn't our fault, it was our database's fault".

We all know that databases spontaneously update themselves and decide what data to use.

Why not use a lighter when a flashlight isn't available?

Teen Cleaning Under Bed May Have Started Fire

Crews from 4 suburbs arrived to fight the fire.

Resourcefulness at it's best.

. . . though I don't see them blaming anything other than the 14 year old who started the fire. Are you saying that this isn't your fault, NEO?

. . . though I don't see them blaming anything other than the 14 year old who started the fire.
    Actually; I'm surprised this didn't turn into a "this could happen to you" type of story.

Are you saying that this isn't your fault, NEO?
    Hey; I've got to keep myself covered at all costs.

Why not use a lighter when a flashlight isn't available?

Teen Cleaning Under Bed May Have Started Fire

Crews from 4 suburbs arrived to fight the fire.
    Hey that's OK, maybe he has a future as an electrician at a nuclear power plant.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I debated between here and the brilliance in parenting thread because stupid kids are often the result of stupid parenting.

But the article is short of details, particularly about whether or not the parents also disciplined thier own child, so it seems to fit here.

Police: Teen Uses Fork To Brand Friend
    ...because the boys thought it was "cool."
    Trooper [...] filed one count of illegal tattooing and body piercing against a 15-year-old...
    Pierce said the suspect branded his friend, [...] by heating a fork, key ring, cross, a heart-shaped cookie cutter, and a crucifix over several hours...
    Um, wouldn't the friend be an accomplice in this crime?

I debated between here and the brilliance in parenting thread because stupid kids are often the result of stupid parenting.

But the article is short of details, particularly about whether or not the parents also disciplined thier own child, so it seems to fit here.

Police: Teen Uses Fork To Brand Friend

Um, wouldn't the friend be an accomplice in this crime?
    The branding occurred over server hours and were done on his arms and chest. Obviously this was not forced. I was watching a Discovery show on body modification and branding was included. Apparently the branding releases endorphins and creates a drug like high feeling. Combine that with a 15 yr old mentality.. it's lucky his entire body wasn't covered in brands.

Quote Originally Posted by rommel543 View Post
    The branding occurred over server hours and were done on his arms and chest.
    Between backups?

Between backups?
    I use to work third-shift security detail. After cleaning crew left at around 11:00pm, it was just us and the IT guys. I wouldn't put something like this past them. Hours worth of work for every 6 hours with your feet up on the desk, waiting for stuff to move here or there. That's why they got along good with security. Birds of a feather, and all.

Between backups?
    Thats what you get when are talking to someone else at the same time you are typing and not watching what you are doing.

Must have been a Freudian slip.....