Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Michiganders...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K
    We have enougth forces to occupy every stae exceopt Alaska.
    Hey, you don't even have enough population to occupy your own country! :roll: 8)
    Apparantly KK you haven't heard, the wheels are already in motion :P

Oh, and TSC:
    Alaska? Medium-sized compared to provinces.
    Time to brush up on your geography, off the top of my head Alaska should be bigger than any one individual province. [-X

What the hockey happened to my little Michigan thread? Krikey! It's the longest thread I've ever started, ever, anywhere! Also the least on-topic, but hey, it's the internet. Continue your mental wanderings...

did

3. 2003-Jul-19, 12:03 AM

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleMan
    Alaska? Medium-sized compared to provinces.
    Time to brush up on your geography, off the top of my head Alaska should be bigger than any one individual province. [-X
    Quiet you fool... I'm trying to spread propaganda...

Quote Originally Posted by pulsar4529
    Any of you Metro Detroiters planning on going to the Selfridge Air Show next week....I am sooo excited!!
    That's sounds like a good idea!

You get an air show? Nuts! I mean... nuts! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by pulsar4529
    Any of you Metro Detroiters planning on going to the Selfridge Air Show next week....I am sooo excited!!
    sadly i'm not at home this summer...is Willow Run or Battle Creek planning to do one this fall?

then there's Osh Kosh...100 years. i wonder if in 100 years there will be "SpaceShip shows". bring your ship/shuttle and show it off. i bet the Wright brothers never suspected where their discovery would end up! i wonder where the space program will go?

I know that Grosse Ile had one a few weeks ago, but I couldn't go.

Selfridge ANGB July 25-26

Airshow/Thunderbirds

Traverse City July 5-6

National Cherry Festival Airshow

Willow Run Aug. 9-10

Willow Run Airshow

Found this online.

The Muskegon Air Show was over the 4th of July weekend. I was driving home from work past the airport, going slow along with all the other rubberneckers, when one of the practicing Blue Angels F18s went right over my car, nearly supersonic, at treetop level. There are no letters on this keyboard to describe that sound! I almost shot out my sunroof...

did

Yeah I know. One time I was outside eating lunch and I heard this low-level humming noise. Didn't think much of it. Until it got louder. And louder. And louder eventually I looked up just in time to see about 20 Griffon helicopters buzzing my house! I swear they must only have been 75 feet off the ground. So close that I could even see the gunners' eyes. Wonder what they were doing?

They were probably looking for you! We used to have a base out here that had an air show every year (El Toro), but it closed donw There is a National Guard Depot down the street from me and a small airport very close by so I get a lot of helicopters (Army and Civie), and small planes flying around all the time.

I'm in Southfield, just north of (shudder) Detroit.
    Detroit is fine. Do you ever go into Detroit? I go there a lot. Of course, there are badly behaved people all over. At least a few of them seem to have moved (fled) to the suburbs, though.

In Michigan. Westland.

ljbrs #-o

We used to have a base out here that had an air show every year (El Toro), but it closed donw
    Yeah, I'm lucky. Since I live in the capital, I get an airshow every year even though the air force base closed down years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by ljbrs
    Detroit is fine. Do you ever go into Detroit?
    I go into Detroit sometimes. One time I went down there and I accidently went the wrong way down a one way street (there was NO sign), and a bunch of homeless people started running up to my car screaming at me.

But I like Detroit, if I stay in the right areas.

Just found out that the Selfridge Air Show is free!!! I am so there! \/

I know this is a week late, but the airshow was cool. I loved the Thunderbirds. But the small aerobatic aircraft was also cool.

The only problem with it was some of the ignorance of people. I heard one mother say to her kids, oh my gosh, they have a space shuttle here, it looks so much smaller in real life. (it was blow-up climbing toy shuttle).

And then people were making up designations for planes. 'See that, thats the F-10938a, and it goes really fast" #-o

But it was awesome, and the weather cooperated nicely!

I grew up in Southwest Michigan, Benton Harbor, South Haven, then Lansing, Detroit area including Royal Oak and Troy, and somehow migrated to Florida. I visit "home" when I can and in fact am planning a trip to Kalamazoo and South Haven in August. I might crash a 45 year high school reunion in South Haven. I didn't graduate from there but grew up there through 8th grade and I remember many that I see on Classmates. Even got an invite to the reunion by signing up there.

I know this thread died over three years ago but I just noticed it today .

Nice find. As I didn't know this place existed in 2003 - I feel it's okay to resurrect. I hail from Grand Rapids. It's a nice state - but our single industry dependence has killed our economy.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.

but our single industry dependence has killed our economy.
    Naw, I attribute it to a certian college football team that will never be able to measure up to a certian team down south ....(which in turn apparently will never measure up to a certian other team further south )

Quote Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
    Nice find. As I didn't know this place existed in 2003 - I feel it's okay to resurrect. I hail from Grand Rapids. It's a nice state - but our single industry dependence has killed our economy.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.
    I first saw the rings around Saturn and the moons of Jupiter from a backyard in Grand Rapids. A Vietnam vet friend of mine lived there and I was living in Lansing (going to MSU). I drove over and his buddy had a 6" reflector. The mirror was so dirty that we had to take it apart and clean it before we could see much.

Michigan is great for star gazing though. As a young child in Benton Harbor (I clearly remember the storm of '47) my Dad pointed out the Milky Way. It filled the sky and was wondrous to me at the time. I have never seen it as clearly as on those crisp nights along Lake Michigan.
    Last edited by Bogie; 2007-May-09 at 06:54 PM.

I have relatives in Michigan, I think. That is, I don't think he's departed... but we're not close, so he might have. IIRC, he was at one of the larger hospitals in the Detroit area, neurosurgeon or some such (picked the training for the money, not because he felt a need to help people).

My great aunt/Uncle had a cabin on a small lake up in the UP (Lake Autrain, as I recall).

I spent a summer there - it was fun, riding my bike all over the place...

but the best place I've ever been to see the stars is out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, sleeping in a hammock slung on top of the pilothouse.

With all my fellow Michiganders about, there should be no confusion when I say "I'm trapped in Flint, help!"

Quote Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
    With all my fellow Michiganders about, there should be no confusion when I say "I'm trapped in Flint, help!"
    OH NO!!!! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!! QUICKLY!!!!

Naw, I attribute it to a certian college football team that will never be able to measure up to a certian team down south ....(which in turn apparently will never measure up to a certian other team further south )
    Doesn't bother me. I'm an MSU fan. We stink at football. While it's true you were able to enjoy one year of Greg Oden - we appear to have Izzo locked up for a good long time. And when we get to the championship game - we win it.