Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michiganders...

It's a race, you to 1000 and me to 400!

Okee dokee.

Ready...go!

I win!!! (That was quick)

Sorry, but I think we tied! Actually you may have made your post earlier in the 11:48 (PST) than I did. So I guess you win.

Seconds aren't recorded, so let's call it a tie. (I'm nothing if not fair. :P )

Ah, the fairness after I just made fun of you on another thread... #-o . Well, if you'll accept my apology, I'll agree with tie.

Accepted! I don't mind the mockery, I've done enough of it myself...

Feel free to mock me whenever you want!

Mock!

P.S. this is getting way off topic...searching for astronomy...Ummm....So how is the clarity of the sky? IS it usually coudy at night? Are there alot of astronomy clubs? (did it work?)

Even if it did work, it'd only be temporary! :wink:

*Slinks away for the good of the thread*

TRAITORS ALL! :x

now about astronomy...we used to have star parties at the library when i was young. grew up in a small town just north of ann arbor. the director was a great guy, into science and all the cool stuff. on nice summer nights we'd have star parties. i remember going and watching Comet Shoemaker-Levy crash into Jupiter. THAT was cool. just glad it wasn't Earth!

that's where i learned about the moon and stars, except sometimes we went to the University Observatory. they were open to the public one night a month, right after the new moon.

one night we came home and i was so excited i got the telescope and went to my parents room to look out the window. forget the neighbor's lights, i was going star gazing on my own! i aimed out the window and took a peek. you'll never guess what i saw!

STRIPES!! AND LOTS OF THEM!! it was so cool, i was certain i'd found Jupiter, the largest planet. it was so big in my scope (a whole...4 inch reflector ) that it covered the entire viewing area! i called my mother over...

she bent down to take a look. chuckled. then stood up and...raised the scope? :-?

she then continued to point out to me that i had succesfully aimed the scope...at the peeling paint on the crossbar of the window... ops: ops:

that was my first and last time looking so closely at Jupiter. needless to say, i continue to search to this day, but alas...all i have seen is a bright yellow dot in the sky.

lol MOTM. :-)

and You saw Comet Shoemaker-Levy crash into Jupiter!!! Wow, now i am veryu jealous of you!

This brings up a serious question:

Now will the difference in latitiude between Me in Florida and you in Michigan actually make a difference in the stars we see?

Like are there stars that i will see tonight that you will now be able to? (given clear skies and pitch black).

P.S. thanks for bringing this back on topic. :-)

I say yes. But there should be stars you can see that he can't.

Related, has anyone (here) seen the stars from the southern hemisphere? Anyone (here) been stargazing in both hemispheres?

Lake Hudson State Recreation Area, near Adrian, is one of the first Dark Sky Preserves. I went camping there for the May Lunar eclipse, but I'll be darned if it didn't rain most of the time. The clouds finally parted when the eclipse was almost over. Didn't get to see the reddish hue, but was divebombed by a few bats. :-?

yes i did see Shoemaker Levy! it was great. the other Jupiter story was quite a while before that though, probably when i was six or seven. Shoemaker Levy was probably when i was about 12 or so.

having never done a thourough comparison of the stars between michigan and florida, i can't be certain, but yes, i imagine there are stars between our 20 degrees of latitude that can be seen by you and not me.

in fact, this is a good example. i'm not at home right now, but rather in TN at school. in looking at a local star chart, and comparing it to ones from home, i find there are even things here that i can see that can't be seen at home. for example, mars is fairly high in the sky here, well over the "mountains". at home, it's not quite so high. Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are also great this time of year, and in excellent position. all four are between 30 and 45 degrees RA. yet at home, they are low enough to be hidden by the trees, and even if they weren't would likely be behind a house or even a car. from what i can gather, they are between 20 and 38 degrees RA. there are about 8 or 9 degrees of Latitude between us.

in FL, another 8-18 degees (depending how far south you go) those four planets will appear between 50-75 degrees RA. quite a difference! if the planets can do it, i'd be willing to bet stars do it even more.

addendum: most of our stars are the same,,,i can see orion quite well. also polaris is fairly high at certain times. i'd imagine it's higher for me, though you can see it (i assume) but i'd say anything that never gets higher than a few degrees above the northern horizon for me and the southern horizon for you will not be seen by the other.

The light pollution is really bad for me. I have an apartment complex, shopping center, YMCA, and pre-school right next to me. (oh, and really annoying neighbors).

Although I did get a chance to take my scope up to St. Ignace(in da UP), and it was amazing! Whew! Whenever we go up north, we take my scope and its such a HUGE difference.

yarz. sometimes one can even see aurora borealis up there. ever been to Pictured Rocks? i hear it can be a great view watching them over the expanse of the lake. never been myself, but i'd love to go some time. all that's needed is an excuse!

something for MI to be proud of!. found it on CNN of all places...
    To get the most bang for your buck, according to Wright, the national forests of Michigan are a good bet. "They have a wide variety of camping spaces, the prices are quite low and sometimes free and most of Michigan national forest campgrounds are located on excellent lakes for boating and fish."

Bah. Michigan is too small to have a good national forest. Now Quebec on the other hand...

just cause your provinces are about as big as 5 states... :P

with no one in them! if we made as much of MI a national forest as some of your places we wouldn't have anywhere to live!

It's weird actually. Most provinces are huge. But then there's Prince Edward Island. Talk about tiny...

true. i should take that into account. what about newfoundland?

Ah, you seem to have forgotten about Labrador. It's part of Newfoundland. Makes it about the size of a medium sized state.

part...guess i thought it was included. my apologies.

Meh. S'okay. Not my province...

You want to talk about small states? Well how about Rhode Island?

Delaware?

Pretty small. Hey, is Puerto Rico a state or a protectorate?