Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISS / Shuttle

Smile ISS / Shuttle

Here is my latest ISS/shuttle image. I took this last week from my backyard in Renton, WA.
    I had tried 3 nights in a row (the other nights were bad - blurry one night, and overexposed the next). Third night worked out well, and this is what I got!

Tom
    www.eastsideastro.org/observatory

Last edited by tegwilym; 2007-Aug-21 at 07:09 PM.

Amazing images and so much detail! Wow!!

Phil

are these your best ever?

brilliant!
    narayan

Hi Tom.
    Great image, this is one of the best photos of the ISS and the Shuttle I have ever seen. Nice job. Your site is very good. Clear skies to you Paul

I totally agree with Paul above, those images you took are absolutely fantastic!!! I have never seen such good images of the ISS & Shuttle together!

Congratulations!

Re: ISS / Shuttle

You will notice of course that the solar arrays, while parallel to each other, are not at right angles to the rest of the ISS, which indicates these pictures were faked.

Seriously, great shots!

BTW, translated into optical telescope magnification, at what "X" would you say these photos were taken?

Curious since I've never tried to capture the ISS/Shuttle with either my 4.25" or 8" reflectors, figuring that there wouldn't be much detail (in addition to the tracking problems).

Omg! Wow, fantastic shots!

You succeeded where I have failed yet again. I tried to capture an image of the shuttle last night, but couldn't get it in the field of view of the camera before it disappeared into shadow . I'm really impressed by the clarity of your images and how well you even resolved the gaps between the solar panel pairs. I know just how tricky it can be to get such a clear shot of the station, so my hat's off to you and your spectacular work.

Amazing! Do you know what the angular diameter is?

hi Tom,

great shot!

Truly amazing pics. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Edwards View Post
    Amazing! Do you know what the angular diameter is?
    I can't speak for his image as it always depends on the altitude of the station (over the horizon) at the time the image is taken, but in my experience it tends to be roughly comparable to the size at opposition of saturn or jupiter when the station's at its peak of 60-70 degree pass. It may even be larger now that the station is growing, I haven't formally measured it.

Smile Size

Quote Originally Posted by NGCHunter View Post
    I can't speak for his image as it always depends on the altitude of the station (over the horizon) at the time the image is taken, but in my experience it tends to be roughly comparable to the size at opposition of saturn or jupiter when the station's at its peak of 60-70 degree pass. It may even be larger now that the station is growing, I haven't formally measured it.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it is roughly the size of Jupiter in the frame. I'm using a 12" LX200 with a Vesta Pro (640x480) camera directly on the scope with no barlow or focal reducer. Not sure how I calculate the angular size though.
    Burned out my numerical reasoning part of my brain years ago when I took calculus 5 times before giving up!

Best?

Quote Originally Posted by seeker372011 View Post
    are these your best ever?

brilliant!
    narayan
    Yeah, I think this is one of my best so far. Usually it ends up a lucky shot more than skill when I get a good one. This was attempt #3 over a few nights before I got something that looked good. Its definitely my clearest shuttle image for sure.

Tom
    www.eastsideastro.org/observatory

Smile fake

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    You will notice of course that the solar arrays, while parallel to each other, are not at right angles to the rest of the ISS, which indicates these pictures were faked.
    Ha! I did notice that angle also when I took the shot.

Those photos are awesome in the strictest sense of the word. Great shots!

A remarkable session you had there Tom, Truly a Beaut! very detailed and sharp and a very nice presentation. clear skies

Awesome picture! Thanks much.

Here's my humble contribution to the thread -- from a slightly different photographic perspective however.

The attached images show the STS-118 Orbiter Endeavour and the ISS flying over our house (in Tsukuba, Japan) just last night -- approx 5 hours prior to landing in Florida. The ISS was "leading" the shuttle by 33 seconds, and it's pretty easy to see that the "brightest" track is the ISS, and the "dimmer" one is the Shuttle. (Canon EOS 30D, 17-40L, F4.0, ISO500, 15 sec exposure)

Kind regards!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure they are images of the ISS & the Shuttle? They look more like meteorites from the shower we had over the weekend!!!

Great shot!! Thanks for posting.

Phil

Excellent captures!

Third time was the charm!

Amazing shots!

interesting images here.

I'm still amazed at your photos.

How are you able to track an object like that? What is the exposure time?

Tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
    I'm still amazed at your photos.

How are you able to track an object like that? What is the exposure time?
    Tracked by hand. Just released the RA/Dec locks and moved the scope by grabbing onto it. I tracked it just keeping the station in the center of the Telrad finder while recording an .avi with the webcam. I have software to track, but still have to practice using it before I can use it for real.

You scope can point to ISS automatically? you scope's pointing accuracy must be very good. How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by tegwilym View Post
    Tracked by hand.
    Wow! Good job!

Smile trackin

Quote Originally Posted by awyong View Post
    You scope can point to ISS automatically? you scope's pointing accuracy must be very good. How do you do that?
    Well, it CAN do that, but I haven't figured that out yet. I have some software that bought that should guide the scope, but I haven't figured that out yet.

I highly recommend Satellite Tracker (heavenscape.com) for automating your tracking. Using a joystick with that program makes it pretty easy to get the station in your eyepiece and keep it there. Depending on how wide a field of view you get with your camera that can be more difficult, but the program has really helped me. I've just never had the skill to get a single steady frame by hand.