Thread: Carter made a goof

Carter made a goof

'A Hundred Days'

Laira was telling SG1 about the fire rain. Carter reacts with surprise that a meteor shower could be a regular annual event.

Annual meteor showers are all over the calender here.

Another one!

'Meridian'

When Daniel gets the nasty dose and comes rushing through the gate to the infirmary, Carter warns everyone not to touch him because he may be radioactive. Being exposed to radiation does not make one radioactive. In fact, it was Nasascam that was under the same misunderstanding. :x

(I've been watching a lot of Stargate SG-1 recently because I've just borrowed Donkey Kong 64 off rst. Over the past two days, I've watched over twenty hours worth as I've been playing DK64.)

Was he just exposed to radiation or was there a chance that he came into contact with radioactive material?

I seriously doubt he came into contact with the naquadria itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    Another one!
    'Meridian'
    When Daniel gets the nasty dose and comes rushing through the gate to the infirmary, Carter warns everyone not to touch him because he may be radioactive. Being exposed to radiation does not make one radioactive. In fact, it was Nasascam that was under the same misunderstanding. :x
    There are some bad science in SG-1, yes. I don't remember exactly all the details of that spesific episode, but I would say it was probably a wise precaution, or rather, they should have been even more carefull, Daniel should have been showered, and he should have gotten some new clothes, and maybe even a atmosphere suit, and put in a quarantine room at SGC. This is beacuse he was subjected to the atmosphere in a processing lab for an almost unknown radiating substance, it isn't just the direct radiation exposure that is a problem in such places, you could have radiating dust flying around in the air from the processing of the substance(i don't know how it is spelled, it sounds almost like naquadria... There may also be radiating gases in the air that might be traped in his clothes or maybe he has innhaled them. the substance might be toxic too..

It would be unfortunate to spread microscopic pices of extremely radiating dust or something like that around the SGC, you know... :wink:

That's what I was getting at. The dust. Big, big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Supreme Canuck
    That's what I was getting at. The dust. Big, big problem.
    Yes, the dust is a problem... I think a trip though a decontamination shower to remove such dust is a standard part of many handling procedures for radiation victims, and containment of clothes too... and here it was a substance not known on earth, it is best to be safe really...

I would have made sure he couldn't come back through. Safer that way. (hehehe)

Quote Originally Posted by The Supreme Canuck
    I would have made sure he couldn't come back through. Safer that way. (hehehe)
    hehe ...
    Yes, that might have been a good idea... Hmmm.. You know, there seems to be a rule in sci-fi that says if any unstable substances is involved when doing the FTL traveling thing you end up at the wrong address, so it is strange that they didn't just pop out of some gate somewere on the other side of the universe... :wink:

It could be... arranged...

Dr. Frasier did mention showering him or something. The only reason why I pointed it out was because the way Carter said it, it sounded like he himself had become radioactive rather than just he had become contaminated with radioactive material.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    Dr. Frasier did mention showering him or something. The only reason why I pointed it out was because the way Carter said it, it sounded like he himself had become radioactive rather than just he had become contaminated with radioactive material.
    Hehe, maybe that is what happens to people exposed to naqudria radiation , stranger things have happened in SG-1.. Like that episode where they switched bodies,(hmmm, you know.. There seems to be a body switch episode in almost all sci-fi series, but still, strange consept), or when Cassandra could remote manipulate magnetic fields, that was quite strange.. But you are right, since they didn't explainin why she said it, it might spread the misconseption that things that are radiated becomes radioactive...

When I saw the title of this thread, I was worried it was going to be about a certain ex-President's adventures with a vicious swimming rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by tracer
    When I saw the title of this thread, I was worried it was going to be about a certain ex-President's adventures with a vicious swimming rabbit.
    We all know about the supremo goof of that Carter. Wait until BigJim gets back and the rant will resume.