My first post here...
I purchased a Starblast EQ-1 ( 450mm FL / F4 ) a few months ago. My wife and I are very pleased with it and the neighbors and our friends are equally impressed – most of us had never seen Saturn or Jupiter before.
Our scope was well collimated right out of the box, easy to assemble and we were looking at stuff within the hour.
We are primarily interested at lunar and planetary views, but would like to also look at, for example, the Orion and Andromeda nebula(e)s.
I have some questions about eyepieces:
- What ‘kind’ or 'type' of ( Plossl, MA, Kellner or what ) category do the eyepieces that came with the scope fall into?
- They ‘seem’ pretty good – they are a 6mm and a 15mm –
- Wanting to upgrade the EPs, We bought an Orion ‘Shorty Plus’ Barlow and were not at all pleased with the lack of focus, bad light, etc, etc.
- We also tried a Meade 15mm QX lens – it was highly recommended by stargazers and by online reviews.
- We were NOT impressed with the Meade lens either – To Orion’s credit, the 15mm lens that came with the scope had as good a view, clarity, eye relief, FOV, etc, etc. The Meade was a ‘tad’ sharper at the edges, but not $80 worth of better.
- Our main question is this: With a ‘fast’ ( F4 ) scope and and short focal length ( 450mm ), should we be looking for a ‘certain’ ‘style’ of lens – are some types – as opposed to manufactures – more appropriate for this scope?
Thank You very much again and My wife and I look forward to hearing an answer soon – the sooner we can spend some more money.
Mike & Jeannie Karwath
ps: we sent the Barlow and the lens back