Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Does anyone else believe in this? (full moon - sleep issues)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    Does anyone else believe in this? (full moon - sleep issues)

    I'm one of those people who can get absolutely no sleep during a full moon. I don't know why - some of my friends tell me it's because I'm a Cancer, others tell me it's simple physics. All I know is that there will be times when I will be exhausted and can't fall asleep to save my life. I'll finally get up and turn on the computer, check a lunar calendar and yup, full moon.

    Are there any other believers out there of this? I know some people are highly skeptical and that's fine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    5,886
    Welcome to the board.

    I've never heard of it. Being a Cancer has nothing to do with it though. Have you tried actually charting it? Every time you can't sleep, make a note of the date and see if there really is a pattern on the full Moon. This winter it seemed to either rain or snow every day I had to bring the garbage cans back in from the street. People tend to only remember the times that line up. There were several days it didn't rain or snow when I brought the cans back. There were many days other than garbage days that it rained or snowed. I only really recall the ones that were both garbage day and rainy/snowy days. It's selective.

    There may be many nights you did sleep through a full moon, and other nights you couldn't sleep that you don't recall because they were not on the full Moon. The first step would be to take good measurements and get solid data.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I'm one of those people who can get absolutely no sleep during a full moon. I don't know why - some of my friends tell me it's because I'm a Cancer, others tell me it's simple physics.
    Maybe you're part werewolf? J/k...

    All I know is that there will be times when I will be exhausted and can't fall asleep to save my life. I'll finally get up and turn on the computer, check a lunar calendar and yup, full moon.

    Are there any other believers out there of this? I know some people are highly skeptical and that's fine.
    "Believe" is a strong word, and probably unnecessary in this context. If you say you consistently experience this, who am I to say you don't? I, however, have no such sleeping difficulties.

    As an aside of sorts: When first starting out in my career, an elderly nurse mentioned that more babies are born around a full moon than any other time of the month. I thought she was joking; no, she wasn't, and other nurses backed her up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,011
    Tog is right... and, The moon orbits the Earth. It is in your sky every day/night. The fact that at certain times during its orbit the whole face of the moon facing Earth is illuminated by sunlight can not effect your sleep pattern. It is some thing else. Hormonal imbalance right on down to just a case of stress. It is not the moon. Think about the science of it. The presence of bright light could be of some annoyance to you and the moon when full is bright enough to do that. Move your bed or close the certain.
    Get yourself a bed side radio... put it on to a talk back station... In sleep mode you will never hear it turn off. Zzzz, Zzzzz.... Good luck.

  5. 2007-May-24, 10:53 AM
    Reason
    duplicated

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    5,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Palomar View Post
    As an aside of sorts: When first starting out in my career, an elderly nurse mentioned that more babies are born around a full moon than any other time of the month. I thought she was joking; no, she wasn't, and other nurses backed her up.
    Actual statistics on this say it doesn't happen though. That's why it's important to actually chart it out. For births or crime, get numbers and put them on a calendar. For sleepless nights, just an X will do. The thing to remember is that before a solution can be found, you need to make sure you know what the problem is.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    20,091
    My guess is the light.
    Even with the drapes drawn, there may still some ambiant lighting drifting through.
    Another thing is that your evening habits may be different because the light level is different.

    Do you have a waterbed? It could be that the timing of the tides is causing it.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,395
    I agree with NEOWatcher. My wife is the same way. Too much light from the full moon and she can't sleep. She's a light sleeper to begin with. I've often thought that the sound of snow flakes crashing into the roof is enough to keep her up.

    I, on the other hand, could probably sleep through minor surgery.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    39,699
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    My guess is the light.
    Even with the drapes drawn, there may still some ambiant lighting drifting through.
    Another thing is that your evening habits may be different because the light level is different.

    Do you have a waterbed? It could be that the timing of the tides is causing it.
    And one test of this - do you have the same problem sleeping during a full moon when the sky is completely overcast, or only when the moon is actually out?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,249
    Before the widespread use of street lighting, there probably was some truth to stuff like higher crime. Words like Lunatics, Looney, Lunacy are used to describe crazy people and their actions.

    I would venture to guess that a hundred years ago people were very in tune with the moon phases. A full moon meant that you could go out at night and not trip over your feet. The moon would stay up all night too, so no need to return from the pub in the dark. On a moonless night, people may have been more inclined to stay home.

    More people on the streets = more crime. Night time activities often including drinking. More drunks on the streets = more lunatics.

    Although our streets are well-lit today, warnings which once had merit like "Becareful, its a full moon! Lots of lunatics will be out tonight!" may have been passed down through the generations.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,364
    I'm pretty convinced my moods are influenced by the moon... I've noticed I seem to be more down/have less energy around a new moon and more twitchy/energetic around a full moon. Probably some wacky hormone or other biological cycle or something, I dare say.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    My guess is the light.
    Some people who sleep in a room facing south are affected by the bright Moon light.

    My solution is go to your hardware store and buy some strong shutters/curtains so the glowing Moon is blocked
    or you can also try to trick your brain my sleeping with a soft nightlight, once you get used to it the light from the Moon should not keep you awake.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    I am one of those people who cant sleep when there is a full moon..like tonight for example im not gonna be able to go to sleep cause of the full moon and it sucks!! hahh..my boyfriend thinks that im part paranormal..but i dont think that i am..but yeaa full moons suck..and its not the light from the moon that keeps me awake at all..im not shure what it is..

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I am one of those people who cant sleep when there is a full moon..like tonight for example im not gonna be able to go to sleep cause of the full moon...
    One thing about this, if you are anticipating not being able to sleep, the anticipation itself might stop you from sleeping. I know I have more trouble sleeping before an important deadline, not because of the deadline itself but because of my own worry.
    As above, so below

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG_ View Post
    I'm pretty convinced my moods are influenced by the moon... I've noticed I seem to be more down/have less energy around a new moon and more twitchy/energetic around a full moon. Probably some wacky hormone or other biological cycle or something, I dare say.
    To be honest, though, I can't imagine how the phase of the moon (how much light from the moon can be seen from the earth) would affect moods. Except for the increased light at night I suppose.
    As above, so below

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,237
    One factor is when a person notices a possible connection.

    For example, in baseball, there is an old saying that a player who makes a good fielding play to end the inning will lead off the next inning. The origin and longevity of this saying is that people notice it when it occurs, but they fail to note the many exceptions.

    Which goes back to Tog's suggestion in post #2 to keep a log and look for a pattern.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3
    i haven't heard that problem like yours before..
    but i believe that if it is full moon, many people have changes in their mood..
    especially people who were born on February, here in the Philippines that was are belief.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Moon sleeping!

    I have a son who is 5 and is good natured until the Full Moon, he can't get to sleep, has disturbed sleep all night and then is in a really aggresive mood the next day and this last a few days, every time it happens, i look it up and yes it is a full moon. I anticipated the one this time and he had been in such a lovely mood for a few weeks so was wondering if it would change his mood and yes it did, he is Autistic so I am sure people who's brains work a bit differently from others are more affected by the pull of the moon.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    To be honest, though, I can't imagine how the phase of the moon (how much light from the moon can be seen from the earth) would affect moods. Except for the increased light at night I suppose.
    I don't think it's really down to light or phase - it's just simply down to the timing of biological cycles. Plenty of life on Earth is influenced by the lunar cycles, after all. While humans don't appear to be specifically tied to it in any particular way (as far as I know), for all I know there may be some leftover psychological or hormonal influence based on the lunar cycle.
    General request: If I ask a question, I'd like people who know about the subject to answer it with factual answers (preferably with references). Saying we don't know is fine if that's the case. However, I'm not really interested in guesses or personal opinions. Thanks!
    Website: http://www.evildrganymede.net

  20. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10,743
    Note: four (well, or two...) year old thread.

    Welcome to BAUT, Louise. That's a curious correlation you found, if it holds up beyond "coincidence". But correlation does not necessarily mean there actually is a direct connection between the two, there might be a more subtle thing going on that's less obvious. Good luck with your son! Autism can be trying on parents, but those kids too do give a lot back. Just in a different way, in my experience.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Similar Threads

  1. full moon
    By ozzmosis in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2009-Aug-06, 06:57 PM
  2. Full Moon GSO RC
    By trevorw in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2009-May-22, 07:11 AM
  3. Full (99.8%) Moon from Jan 13.
    By stu in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2006-Jan-16, 07:10 PM
  4. Almost full Moon
    By Lomitus in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-Jul-31, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: