Thread: Does anyone else believe in this? (full moon - sleep issues)

Does anyone else believe in this? (full moon - sleep issues)

I'm one of those people who can get absolutely no sleep during a full moon. I don't know why - some of my friends tell me it's because I'm a Cancer, others tell me it's simple physics. All I know is that there will be times when I will be exhausted and can't fall asleep to save my life. I'll finally get up and turn on the computer, check a lunar calendar and yup, full moon.

Are there any other believers out there of this? I know some people are highly skeptical and that's fine.

Welcome to the board.

I've never heard of it. Being a Cancer has nothing to do with it though. Have you tried actually charting it? Every time you can't sleep, make a note of the date and see if there really is a pattern on the full Moon. This winter it seemed to either rain or snow every day I had to bring the garbage cans back in from the street. People tend to only remember the times that line up. There were several days it didn't rain or snow when I brought the cans back. There were many days other than garbage days that it rained or snowed. I only really recall the ones that were both garbage day and rainy/snowy days. It's selective.

There may be many nights you did sleep through a full moon, and other nights you couldn't sleep that you don't recall because they were not on the full Moon. The first step would be to take good measurements and get solid data.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I'm one of those people who can get absolutely no sleep during a full moon. I don't know why - some of my friends tell me it's because I'm a Cancer, others tell me it's simple physics.
    Maybe you're part werewolf? J/k...

All I know is that there will be times when I will be exhausted and can't fall asleep to save my life. I'll finally get up and turn on the computer, check a lunar calendar and yup, full moon.

Are there any other believers out there of this? I know some people are highly skeptical and that's fine.
    "Believe" is a strong word, and probably unnecessary in this context. If you say you consistently experience this, who am I to say you don't? I, however, have no such sleeping difficulties.

As an aside of sorts: When first starting out in my career, an elderly nurse mentioned that more babies are born around a full moon than any other time of the month. I thought she was joking; no, she wasn't, and other nurses backed her up.

Tog is right... and, The moon orbits the Earth. It is in your sky every day/night. The fact that at certain times during its orbit the whole face of the moon facing Earth is illuminated by sunlight can not effect your sleep pattern. It is some thing else. Hormonal imbalance right on down to just a case of stress. It is not the moon. Think about the science of it. The presence of bright light could be of some annoyance to you and the moon when full is bright enough to do that. Move your bed or close the certain.
    Get yourself a bed side radio... put it on to a talk back station... In sleep mode you will never hear it turn off. Zzzz, Zzzzz.... Good luck.

5. 2007-May-24, 10:53 AM
    Reason
    duplicated

Quote Originally Posted by Palomar View Post
    As an aside of sorts: When first starting out in my career, an elderly nurse mentioned that more babies are born around a full moon than any other time of the month. I thought she was joking; no, she wasn't, and other nurses backed her up.
    Actual statistics on this say it doesn't happen though. That's why it's important to actually chart it out. For births or crime, get numbers and put them on a calendar. For sleepless nights, just an X will do. The thing to remember is that before a solution can be found, you need to make sure you know what the problem is.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

My guess is the light.
    Even with the drapes drawn, there may still some ambiant lighting drifting through.
    Another thing is that your evening habits may be different because the light level is different.

Do you have a waterbed? It could be that the timing of the tides is causing it.

I agree with NEOWatcher. My wife is the same way. Too much light from the full moon and she can't sleep. She's a light sleeper to begin with. I've often thought that the sound of snow flakes crashing into the roof is enough to keep her up.

I, on the other hand, could probably sleep through minor surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    My guess is the light.
    Even with the drapes drawn, there may still some ambiant lighting drifting through.
    Another thing is that your evening habits may be different because the light level is different.

Do you have a waterbed? It could be that the timing of the tides is causing it.
    And one test of this - do you have the same problem sleeping during a full moon when the sky is completely overcast, or only when the moon is actually out?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Before the widespread use of street lighting, there probably was some truth to stuff like higher crime. Words like Lunatics, Looney, Lunacy are used to describe crazy people and their actions.

I would venture to guess that a hundred years ago people were very in tune with the moon phases. A full moon meant that you could go out at night and not trip over your feet. The moon would stay up all night too, so no need to return from the pub in the dark. On a moonless night, people may have been more inclined to stay home.

More people on the streets = more crime. Night time activities often including drinking. More drunks on the streets = more lunatics.

Although our streets are well-lit today, warnings which once had merit like "Becareful, its a full moon! Lots of lunatics will be out tonight!" may have been passed down through the generations.

I'm pretty convinced my moods are influenced by the moon... I've noticed I seem to be more down/have less energy around a new moon and more twitchy/energetic around a full moon. Probably some wacky hormone or other biological cycle or something, I dare say.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    My guess is the light.
    Some people who sleep in a room facing south are affected by the bright Moon light.

My solution is go to your hardware store and buy some strong shutters/curtains so the glowing Moon is blocked
    or you can also try to trick your brain my sleeping with a soft nightlight, once you get used to it the light from the Moon should not keep you awake.

I am one of those people who cant sleep when there is a full moon..like tonight for example im not gonna be able to go to sleep cause of the full moon and it sucks!! hahh..my boyfriend thinks that im part paranormal..but i dont think that i am..but yeaa full moons suck..and its not the light from the moon that keeps me awake at all..im not shure what it is..

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I am one of those people who cant sleep when there is a full moon..like tonight for example im not gonna be able to go to sleep cause of the full moon...
    One thing about this, if you are anticipating not being able to sleep, the anticipation itself might stop you from sleeping. I know I have more trouble sleeping before an important deadline, not because of the deadline itself but because of my own worry.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by EDG_ View Post
    I'm pretty convinced my moods are influenced by the moon... I've noticed I seem to be more down/have less energy around a new moon and more twitchy/energetic around a full moon. Probably some wacky hormone or other biological cycle or something, I dare say.
    To be honest, though, I can't imagine how the phase of the moon (how much light from the moon can be seen from the earth) would affect moods. Except for the increased light at night I suppose.
    As above, so below

One factor is when a person notices a possible connection.

For example, in baseball, there is an old saying that a player who makes a good fielding play to end the inning will lead off the next inning. The origin and longevity of this saying is that people notice it when it occurs, but they fail to note the many exceptions.

Which goes back to Tog's suggestion in post #2 to keep a log and look for a pattern.

i haven't heard that problem like yours before..
    but i believe that if it is full moon, many people have changes in their mood..
    especially people who were born on February, here in the Philippines that was are belief.

Moon sleeping!

I have a son who is 5 and is good natured until the Full Moon, he can't get to sleep, has disturbed sleep all night and then is in a really aggresive mood the next day and this last a few days, every time it happens, i look it up and yes it is a full moon. I anticipated the one this time and he had been in such a lovely mood for a few weeks so was wondering if it would change his mood and yes it did, he is Autistic so I am sure people who's brains work a bit differently from others are more affected by the pull of the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    To be honest, though, I can't imagine how the phase of the moon (how much light from the moon can be seen from the earth) would affect moods. Except for the increased light at night I suppose.
    I don't think it's really down to light or phase - it's just simply down to the timing of biological cycles. Plenty of life on Earth is influenced by the lunar cycles, after all. While humans don't appear to be specifically tied to it in any particular way (as far as I know), for all I know there may be some leftover psychological or hormonal influence based on the lunar cycle.
    General request: If I ask a question, I'd like people who know about the subject to answer it with factual answers (preferably with references). Saying we don't know is fine if that's the case. However, I'm not really interested in guesses or personal opinions. Thanks!

Note: four (well, or two...) year old thread.

Welcome to BAUT, Louise. That's a curious correlation you found, if it holds up beyond "coincidence". But correlation does not necessarily mean there actually is a direct connection between the two, there might be a more subtle thing going on that's less obvious. Good luck with your son! Autism can be trying on parents, but those kids too do give a lot back. Just in a different way, in my experience.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice