Page 59 of 82 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2452

Thread: Read that again?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I wouldn't. I would worry that "beers from the past" means they are no longer being made, and these are some old relics that someone found in thier basement.

Now if it's beer from recipes of the past, then maybe it's worth a try.
    Ha, you just reminded me of something Tara's dad had down in his basement, which you'd probably appreciate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0098.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	14785

Sounds to me like the stuff was collected from the bleacher drains and held in a vat under the park. It really is "dad's beer". from the same can he smuggled in 30 years ago.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    :-D I had to say it, since my birthday is 30 days away. And since I know I'm still younger than probably 70% of the regulars here.
    Including me!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ha, you just reminded me of something Tara's dad had down in his basement, which you'd probably appreciate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0098.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	14785
    Wow; that's even got the old style wildlife trapping can connector still attached.

I would agree that is vintage, but I'm also trying to figure out how long age I had to throw out that can of Billy Beer because it rusted through.

When I read that Fazor is only 28, my instant reaction was horror that
    someone so young is already trapped in the business of selling insurance.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    :-D I had to say it, since my birthday is 30 days away. And since I know I'm still younger than probably 70% of the regulars here.
    I just about split the difference between the ages of you and Gillian, so let me say this: Fazor, if your age is less than both numbers in the quote above, don't say such things in the presence of those who aren't in their 20s anymore.

Trust me. I got myself into a bit of trouble every so often the last few years.

My local newspaper has taken to affixing three-inch advertising stickers to the morning paper. Frequently, we get one that really annoys me. It is for a local heating/cooling company and says:

"A/C Tune-Up Special
    <company name> is Giving Away A/C Tune-Ups
    Only $89.00 / Reg $136..."
    (emphasis is original)

Yup, they are giving something away, and it will only cost you $89.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Powerful Solar Panels Introduced to District of Hazlet Township Public School

"Speaking in terms of numbers, the system is designed to produce 1.6 million kilowatts of electricity..."

I believe our energy problems have been solved!
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

"Speaking in terms of numbers, the system is designed to produce 1.6 million kilowatts of electricity..."

Well, they did say they were powerful.

" and this will save our district a whopping $118,084 during the first year alone."
    They currently pay 0.004 cents per kWh (assuming 200 days at 8 hrs each)? Where do I sign?

"Hazlets solar plan was born three years ago, when harnessing solar power on school property first became legal in New Jersey"
    Illegal? Why?

"Hazlets solar plan was born three years ago, when harnessing solar power on school property first became legal in New Jersey"
    Illegal? Why?
    I'm guessing something about profit producing activities not related to teaching.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

If 1.21 gigawatts can get you through the time barrier at 88 mph, does this mean the school only needs to do about 75?
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    If 1.21 gigawatts can get you through the time barrier at 88 mph, does this mean the school only needs to do about 75?
    Sadly, that's the first thing that came to my mind too (the movie, not the conversion)

Here's a headline that makes you wonder about the details of the story...

Parents could lose custody of teen who gave birth to stillborn and baby's father
    Even once you get past the idea of the teen giving birth to the father, there's still the issue of them both being in custody of the parents. (which is still not disclosed)

First paragraph in the article.
    The parents of a 13-year-old girl who gave birth to a stillborn baby and hid the body in an attic could lose parental rights of the girl, the 16-year old alleged father, and two other teens.
    It looks like the alleged father is definitely in the custody of the parents of the mother. A bit later it mentioned that how the two children are related is not disclosed by the authorities.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

I dug up a clipping from USA Today that I've had in my collection for some time.
    Arlen Specter, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania was a G.O.P. Presidential candidate [edit: this was in 1996]. He was quoted:

A: (Specter) . . . I proposed a flat tax. I never leave anywhere without my tax return in my pocket. It's a postcard.
    Q: How does it work?
    A: The simplicity is obvious. We spend now about 5 billion hours a year on our tax returns. This would cut it down to about 15 minutes.

Let's see, that's
    5.0 x 10^9 hours, divided by 0.25 hours, a ratio of ...
    2.0 x 10^10 to 1.
    If he could reduce a $300 billion deficit by the same factor, it would be fifteen bucks!

I suspect he switched from aggregate time for all taxpayers to an individual case in between sentences!
    Last edited by DonM435; 2011-Apr-11 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added date

Even once you get past the idea of the teen giving birth to the father, there's still the issue of them both being in custody of the parents. (which is still not disclosed)
    There are at least two ways I can think of, one of which is a lot less unpleasant to consider than the other. Make that three--there's foster home, there's incest, and there's "taking a specific kid in because he needed a place to live." I've known that last to happen, though none to the extent of custody. In fact, my mother let my sister's boyfriend move into our attic for a few months when he was in high school. He needed out of his family situation, and Mom gave him a place.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There are at least two ways I can think of, one of which is a lot less unpleasant...
    Yes; Same here, but I really didn't want to go far down that road. I just wanted to point out the strange comment which leaves you up in the air.

From an article about a high school production of "Frankenstein":

In a balcony on the left, Shelley talks with her father and eventual husband, Percy Shelley...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    From an article about a high school production of "Frankenstein":
    That's just an alternative to the lab in the "How to create a monster" manual.

One of the department stores here had a divider in its greeting card section that read "BROTHER-SISTER ANNIVERSARY." I hope they don't sell too many of those.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    One of the department stores here had a divider in its greeting card section that read "BROTHER-SISTER ANNIVERSARY." I hope they don't sell too many of those.
    I would think there are plenty of other cases of inter-family relationships in there too.
    Although, the punctuation could be important. "Brother-sister" reads considerably different to me than "brother/sister".

Here's one I read today.
    N.J. Hospital Advertises 7-Minute ER Wait Times

All of our patients, especially critical patients, will be seen immediately upon arrival and everybody else within an average of 30 minutes,
    I guess that means the ER also sees non-patients.

I guess that means the ER also sees non-patients.
    Ha! Now I'm imagining them dragging someone back while he/she yells, "No! Really! I'm just waiting for a friend! I'm the one that drove him here!"

Ha! Now I'm imagining them dragging someone back while he/she yells, "No! Really! I'm just waiting for a friend! I'm the one that drove him here!"
    Ow, you just made me think of an even more disturbing situation. After 30 minutes, why else would a doctor come out and see the one's waiting for a friend or relative? I'll just leave it at that.

Reporters just love math...
    On the Rise: gas prices increase .7 in northeast Ohio
    Ok; short headline. Point seven what? Cents? Percent? Dollars?

Northeast Ohio motorists will be paying 7.2 cents more this week at the pump.
    Oh, dimes. Now why didn't I think of that unit?

Oh, dimes. Now why didn't I think of that unit?
    Ah, the old 'dimecimle' system. Oft overlooked, rarely useful, but fun to keep around.

More PC gone awry, or just another cause vs effect study?

Time: Animal Academics: Using the Word 'Pet' Insults Your Pet, er, Companion
    According to a report published in the Journal of Animal Ethics, using "derogatory" terms such as "critters," "beasts," and — you guessed it — "pets" when referring to animals of any kind can affect the way they are treated.
    Uhm... Don't we also use those terms on people in nice ways? Like "I love you, my pet".

If the word "pet" is derogatory, I'd hate to see what they think about some of the names I call my dogs when they are being bad. I love my dogs as much as the next guy, but they are pets. Tara is my companion (even if I can't get her trained. . . )

We refer to our cats as "service animals," when we feel they deserve the title. Mostly, we call them nuisances.

"You can't erase icing."

We refer to our cats as "service animals," when we feel they deserve the title. Mostly, we call them nuisances.
    I'm sure if the cats could tell what they wanted to be called it would be "our masters"

Either one sounds appropriate since they probably need frequent servicing.