Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Read that again?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Yes; but there are enough to be worried. Why else would a drug commercial say "Tell your doctor if you have...".
    And, I'm sure there are those rare few that say... I don't need to tell anyone I have it.
    I think the anouncment was foolish enough for that reason alone.

The sad thing is, the announcement was saying particular treatments allow for the possibility of not transmitting the virus. I find it hard to believe anyone could get on the treatment without telling someone in the medical field. I wander what the street value is for those treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I think the anouncment was foolish enough for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    The sad thing is, the announcement was saying particular treatments allow for the possibility of not transmitting the virus. I find it hard to believe anyone could get on the treatment without telling someone in the medical field. I wander what the street value is for those treatments.
    Enormous, I should think, given how much they cost in pharmacies.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    well, a tiger that can effortlessly leap 4 kilometers off the ground would be quite a sight! ...although, I wonder how it'd survive the landing? Maybe it's like a flying squirrel, where it glides stealthily back down to attack its prey from above. Neat!
    It's the rare Kryptonian tiger. Or maybe it was a misprint, and they meant Tigger, who bounces pretty high.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Or maybe it was a misprint, and they meant Tigger, who bounces pretty high.
    Lol! I like this theory. Lets stick with it.

Explosion Blows Out Wall Of Cleveland Home

Dominion East Ohio Gas said it was an isolated explosion. It may not be until Thursday that officials will be able to determine what happened.
    As opposed to houses blowing up all over the city because of something the gas company is doing?

As opposed to houses blowing up all over the city because of something the gas company is doing?
    Yeah, I hate when that happens.
    I've had dreams where we'd be standing outside our house watching because the woods or a neighbors house or whatever was on fire, then as we were standing there other random houses would explode. But in the dreams there was never an explanation for the explosions. Now I know it was the pesky gas company. Buggers.

I'm not sure if this should be filed under hypocrisy or under oxymorons.

Upscale McDonald's Mixes Big Macs, Mysticism

A McDonald's in Hacienda Heights has been redesigned using the principles of feng shui. That's the ancient Chinese practice of arranging objects and numbers to promote health, harmony and prosperity.

I'm not sure if this should be filed under hypocrisy or under oxymorons.

Upscale McDonald's Mixes Big Macs, Mysticism
    It's California. 'Nuff said.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

A better way to promote health might be for McDonalds to rearrange the calories in their food, so that a value meal wasn't 500% of your daily recommended intake...but hey, I'm not descended from acient Chinese monks, so what do I know?

Here's one that isn't from the media. We had power problems at work yesterday, so I had to shut down some of the servers. When I powered them back up, one of them (an NT server) gave an error indicating that a service had failed to start.

So I checked the Event log, and found that part of the backup software hadn't started. The error message read:

"The Browser service is dependent on the Job Engine service, which failed to start due to the following error: The operation completed successfully."

"The Browser service is dependent on the Job Engine service, which failed to start due to the following error: The operation completed successfully."
    Lol, classic.

When I shut out of the virtual desktop software at work every night, an error window pops up.

I know it's got to be some sort of cache-dump error or something stupid, but it just seems funny because it reads like an error message that says, "Cannot shut down software; software will now be shut down."

I'll haveta write down what the exact message is tonight.

Ah yes...winter in Cleveland, useless warnings again.
    Motorists Asked To Stay Off Unsalted Roads
    Freezing rain is causing ice to accumulate on area roadways, making driving conditions treacherous.

The Cleveland Police Department is requesting that motorists stay off the roads until salt can be applied.
    Apparently, some people haven't figured that out yet.
    Part of driving around here is understanding that "white" is not good, and cold could mean ice.

Besides, how do I know when the road has been salted? And; what are the odds of a road being salted in Cleveland?

Besides, how do I know when the road has been salted? And; what are the odds of a road being salted in Cleveland?
    Easy, each time you turn onto a new roadway, or cross township/city lines, stop your car, get out, and lick the asphalt.

In other words, the Cleveland PD is saying what they've told the public for years, "Kiss my asphalt!"

In other words, the Cleveland PD is saying what they've told the public for years, "Kiss my asphalt!"
    That makes my jaw hit the pavement...it's just salt in the wound. You oughta be tarred and feathered.

Oh; what about beet juice...is it salty, or is that why they add the salt?
    Is that another way it lowers blood pressure?

Kurlansky's book 'Salt'

Ah yes...winter in Cleveland, useless warnings again.
    Motorists Asked To Stay Off Unsalted Roads

Apparently, some people haven't figured that out yet.
    Part of driving around here is understanding that "white" is not good, and cold could mean ice.

The road becomes a salt lick for wild animals. I wonder what percentage of road-kill can be attributed to the salting of roads in winter, and the subsequent licking of roads that follows.

Just as I will go to almost any length for salty fries, I imagine deer, et. al., experience a similar pull to the road.

Cork
    http://www.corkus.com

Quote Originally Posted by cork.kyle View Post
    The road becomes a salt lick for wild animals. I wonder what percentage of road-kill can be attributed to the salting of roads in winter, and the subsequent licking of roads that follows...
    Interesting question... so I went looking.
    Most of the references are in passing on Canadian websites like this.
    However, there are two peak times when the risk of a collision is highest: May and June when animals seek road salt in ditches and try to escape biting insects and during the fall mating and migration seasons.
    And a mention of the lack of statistics by a CT study here.
    The most significant research on the subject occurred in Ontario, Canada in the early 1980s. It found that the existence of roadside saltwater pools was a significant attractant for moose in otherwise salt-deficient areas and that about half of all the moose-vehicle crashes that occurred on the road were at or near the pools (Fraser and Thomas, Moose-Vehicle Accidents in Ontario: Relation to Highway Salt. Wildlife Society Bulletin, Vol. 10, No. 3, 1982, pp. 261-65). While, as this study indicates, road salt may factor into in animal-vehicle crashes at particular locations where the salt collects, not enough is known about this relationship at present.

And a mention of the lack of statistics by a CT study here.
    Ahh, CT as in Connecticut, not conspiracy theory. I was thinking, man that must be some CT... Maybe the chemtrails react to the salt/deer spit mixture somehow and make something similar to "swamp gas" which it then carted in to places where the UFO's get spotted or something.

It was a long night.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    Ahh, CT as in Connecticut, not conspiracy theory. ...
    Thus, the title of the thread.

Itís SpongeBobís world
    On March 15, Nickelodeon will open Nickelodeon Universe, its first-ever standalone theme park. Set on seven acres in the middle of the Mall of America, ...
    Standalone? Not exactly my definition.

But; to somebody who would be willing to ride something called the splat-O-sphere, maybe it is.

Standalone? Not exactly my definition.
    I'm guessing that "standalone" means "not part of somebody else's larger theme park."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I'm guessing that "standalone" means "not part of somebody else's larger theme park."
    Even so, that would be discounting MoA as a theme-park. Which, despite it being a Mall, is moreso a mall-themed park. :-P

Even so, that would be discounting MoA as a theme-park. Which, despite it being a Mall, is moreso a mall-themed park. :-P
    Thank you. That's part of my point. Even if MoA is not considered a theme park, it is still part of the venture. I'm sure there are some pretty elaborate business contracts involved.

Researchers hack wireless signals from defibrillators

Ok; I see a danger in this, although the risk sounds remote.

But this...
    In the model researchers studied, transmissions from the defibrillator to the bedside monitor are not encrypted.

That means someone intercepting the transmissions could retrieve personal data about a patient.
    Huh? Personal data? Like what? Heart rate?

Did you ever read a detail in a story, and wonder why they mentioned it?

Vanilla-Flavored Ingredients Catch Fire At Smucker's Plant

In the context of the short article, it just opens up questions as to what the ingredients were or why only the vanilla ones, or any other significance to a vanilla fire.

Maybe people close to the fire could smell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Maybe people close to the fire could smell it?
    I suppose that's a possibility. But; it would be nice to know.

And; if it is, it would be one heck of a powerful smell...the whole area around Orville already smells like jelly.

Things I Wish I'd Thought Of Earlier, Part XXXVII:

It was a real-life case of Vanilla Sky.

*rimshot*

I'm not sure whether to call this bad math, or dyslexic ordering of sentences.

Rising flour cost cuts into baker's dough

Last year a baker would have paid $37 dollars for a barrel of flour.
    Now the same barrel costs $225.
    That's more than a 300 percent increase.
    Ralph Jacobs packs his silo with about 45,000 pounds of flour.
    A year ago that would cost roughly $8,000.
    Now the bill is closer to $24,000.
    Either the math should be at the end, or the math is off quite a bit. Take your pick.

When Serpe's Bakery started making bread in 1952 flour prices were relatively low
    Master of the obvious, or relative to other ingredients?

what, three times thirty-seven isn't $225?

Or he gets one hell of a bulk-rate discount. Maybe flour is 50% off if you buy it by the silo-full. *shrug*