Thread: Our breathing earth...

Our breathing earth...

Welcome to Breathing Earth. This presentation displays the carbon dioxide emission levels of every country in the world, as well as their birth and death rates - all in real time. Though considerable effort has been taken to ensure that the presentation uses the most accurate and up-to-date data available , please remember that this is just a simulation.
    http://www.breathingearth.net/

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Monoxide Child View Post
    http://www.breathingearth.net/

What are your thoughts?
    Sorry, but this basically shows that CO2 corresponds with population. Tells me nothing.
    Now, if it had CO2 levels per capita, or per GDP, that would be a different story.

Everytime I take a breath someone dies.

I gotta get me some mouth freshener or something.

That's a pretty cool doohicky.

I especially like the stats available when you roll over countries. Neat that they got it to work for so many of those little tiny islands.

I did not know that there were only 3,060 people in the Falklands. Learn something every day. Of course I'll be wrong next week.

. . . as at that time it's probably 3061

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

interesting...

a person dies every minute..

a baby is born every 5 secs...

Two things:

Where is the counter telling me how much CO2 has been 'absorbed'?

Can you imagine the difference in the numbers there will be in a generation - given wha'ts going on in China? (Take a look at China's numbers compared to, say, the USA.)

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Sorry, but this basically shows that CO2 corresponds with population. Tells me nothing.
    Now, if it had CO2 levels per capita, or per GDP, that would be a different story.
    Not entirely. Canada (population 32 million) shows up well before most of the major European countries (population circa 50 million or more). And of course the US shows up first, ahead of China or India. For now.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Not entirely. Canada (population 32 million) shows up well before most of the major European countries (population circa 50 million or more). And of course the US shows up first, ahead of China or India. For now.
    Well my intention was that there should be some common comparison other than the unit "1".
    But I'll be willing to qualify my statement with the phrase "except for some anecdotal differences".

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
    Two things:

Where is the counter telling me how much CO2 has been 'absorbed'?

Can you imagine the difference in the numbers there will be in a generation - given wha'ts going on in China? (Take a look at China's numbers compared to, say, the USA.)
    That's the problem with raw numbers - unless they're rendered into proportionalities, they mean very little in themselves.

Yet even proportionalities are misleading, without the raw numbers as a comparison. For example, I could say, "Half the population of Pumpkin Center died last year in a horrific accident," you'd probably think, "wow - gassing? Chemical plant explosion? Why didn't we hear about this on CNN?"

When you learn that there's only 8 people in the town, though, it's easy to understand how inconsequential it might be to the rest of the world that four of them died in the car when they were hit by moving van.

That's a key trick of the news trade - always leave something out to make things appear more catastrophic than it really is.

It's one of the reasons I enjoy the Wall Street Journal and The Economist. Both publications are repelete with folks who earn their living from numbers, and who's reputations are on the line if they misrepresent the numbers as do most modern-day reporters.

CNN suffers no such ills, and remains primarily interested in its long-term bottom line. To that end, they appear to have found the optimum balance between pulp exaggeration with misleading by non-inclusion, and loosing sales because their reputation becomes tarnished.

They're really not concerned about their reputation, provided the losses due to tarnishment are more than compensated by increased sales.