Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is a whale?

How big is a whale?

This big.

(Flash player required.)
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Wow. Scary.

I think...

I think my pet krill just wet himself.

You should have a warning on that link, ToSeek.

Quote Originally Posted by Matherly View Post
    I think my pet krill just wet himself.
    How could you tell? Isn't he wet already?

Wow. Just . . . wow.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

What brand of whale is that?

It certainly is a biggie!

Of course it depends a bit on the pixel size/resolution settings of your screen whether it is really "real size", but it's huge anyway! How did they take that pic, with a zillion megapixel underwater camera?

Nicolas, you're looking at the majestic blue whale.

That would be my guess if they were to pick a whale, but I didn't recognize it as such. It looked more like a humback after a Total Makeover. But looking atthe wiki article, a blue whale it is indeed.

But how did they make the pic? The whale is so clean, the detail so high, but it doesn't apear to be CG, as the nose and tail are a bit out of focus(ok, cg can do that too...). Overall, it appears to be CG to me, not a real pic. But very well done in that case, I really don't get it how they can wrpa a texture so nicely over such a complex shape. If not a CG whale, at least it appears they cut it out of its original background .

According to the WDCS (Whale & Dolphin Consevation Society) who are hosting the pic it is indeed a blue whale, but that doesn't look right to me either. Blue whales are more streamlined & less bulky looking, this pic looks like a blue whale to me; http://www.wdcs.org/dan/publishing.n...256A030060083C.
    Right whales & bowheads are even more stubby & bulbous than the pic shown there, but neither are the front flippers long enough for it to be a humpback.
    A quick search leads me to suggest a Gray whale(about half the size of a blue); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Whale, however my poor old PII chip really doesn't seem to like that flash file, it locks up explorer after a few seconds which makes a comparism difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by foreignkid View Post
    How could you tell? Isn't he wet already?
    Particle krill, particle krill,
    Does everything that a particle can.
    When he goes swimming does he get wet,
    Or does the water get him instead?

Quote Originally Posted by ciderman View Post
    ...my poor old PII chip really doesn't seem to like that flash file, it locks up explorer after a few seconds which makes a comparism difficult!
    Same here; can only see a few seconds worth before lock-up. (PII350, Win98, Opera and Firefox.)
    Can anyone describe what happens after the initial eye close-up?

Basically, think Google Maps, except the "map" is a whale.

It looks like a blue to me - maybe the head is a little bigger than most, but definitely not humpback...

Yeah, they made the neck a bit thick compared to the aft body. Blue whales as I know them look a bit more tubelike, in fact not the prettiest of whales. This one is made like Miss Blue Whale 2007 .

But anyway, anyone out on the CG/real photo thing yet? I say CG. I've never seen such a detailed blue whale pic anyway.

It's been said that you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose. But you can pick a whale's nose, in fact you can put your whole arm in.

Quote Originally Posted by MAPNUT View Post
    It's been said that you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    Not related to the OP, but this was the very first lesson I had the honor of teaching my goddaughter. First time I picked her up, she tried to get her entire wrist up my left nostril. Almost succeeded, too, the little munchkin.

WOW......Thats......Well......WOW

Wow.

That is Huge.

Slightly off topic, but I've been pondering; let's say I'm having a conversation with an individual of Japanese, Icelandic or Norwegian extraction who is in favour of whale hunting. He asks me what makes whales so special, more so than, say, a deer or a grouse, which people hunt without any twinges of conscience. What should I tell him?

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I've been pondering; let's say I'm having a conversation with an individual of Japanese, Icelandic or Norwegian extraction who is in favour of whale hunting. He asks me what makes whales so special, more so than, say, a deer or a grouse, which people hunt without any twinges of conscience. What should I tell him?
    Deer and grouse have never been hunted to the very brink of extinction. Many species of whale have.

Yeah.. whales are not like deers , or some cows who has a great number of population and is far from extinction.

If they continue the hunting, whales may well be erased in this planet.
    Last edited by Whirlpool; 2007-Mar-22 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typos

....Which would decrease the ocean levels a bit, but I'd prefer to have whales.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    what makes whales so special, more so than, say, a deer or a grouse
    well for one thing, whales are *far* more intelligent. They just happen to have lost the evolutonary lottery that gave us opposable thumbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cS2uu4ki2w

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon View Post
    Particle krill, particle krill,
    Does everything that a particle can.
    When he goes swimming does he get wet,
    Or does the water get him instead?
    They might be giants, or
    They might be giants, orrr...

Quote Originally Posted by DyerWolf View Post
    They might be giants, or
    They might be giants, orrr...
    And what are we going to do unless they are?

<Likes TMBG. Sorry about the threadjack>

ooo, what a big whale, just like a big air bus!! or we can say the whale is just like a big submarine. But I am sorry, I am unable to see in the "flash player",Toseek.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    ....Which would decrease the ocean levels a bit, but I'd prefer to have whales.
    So would the oceans, as the fact that they and other marine species have been hunted to but small fractions of their original numbers have signficantly upset, along with manmade pollution, the balance of life throughout the oceans.

I wonder how many people have actually stopped to think about how critical the oceans are to the CO2 lifecycle on our planet? If there's not enough whale and fish fertilizer because we've overhunted both, then the plants don't thrive. If the plants don't thrive, there's a lot less intake of CO2 and release of oxygen.

In other words, ocean plant life fixes CO2 into the oceans just some life fixes nitrogen in the soil. If that process doesn't happen, the CO2 is re-released in the atmosphere, raising atmospheric CO2 levels.

Hmmm...
    Last edited by mugaliens; 2007-Mar-23 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added CO2 fixing

Still it's a beautiful cgi graphic .

ToSeek, is there any particular reason you linked to the German page? I didn't notice until I put my mouse pointer over the "Close" and something came up in German. The english page is:

http://www.wdcs.co.uk/media/flash/wh...ontent_en.html

No big deal ... the roll over text says:

Think before you close this window.
    This might be the
    last life size whale
    you will ever see.

The world's whales are threatened by a return to commercial whaling.
    Click www.stopbloodywhaling.org to help stop this.
    The page is from the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, in the United Kingdom.

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants, "Destination Moon"

Does the eye of the largest whales measure the same as the height of the average human?

I'll not exclaim several sacriligious comments for the sake of the children. . .THAT is one large creature!