Thread: Moon cracks in half, what would we do without THE expert?

Moon cracks in half, what would we do without THE expert?

The movie isn't over but it was so formula, no need to see the end. It's the SciFi channel movie on tonight (sorry, didn't even bother to check the name) about an asteroid that splits the Moon and the US team has to send the shuttle up with some "meg" bomb to regenerate the Moon's magnetic field so the crack will seal itself instead of growing until the Moon breaks into 2 pieces and life on Earth is destroyed by the storms, ice age, and bombardment of Moon pieces. (Guess they couldn't decide which disaster to use so they used them all.)

Well the bad science is so overwhelming, I'll leave it to everyone else. I thought I'd ask the question, what would we do if the 'one' expert in [fill in the blank] got bumped off before the world USA team of [fill in the blank] experts who were the only ones capable of dealing with the crisis died before he/she was needed? All those other experts but there is always only one person in the whole world that has to be called on. Boy we'd be in trouble without these incredible geniuses.

I wonder who wrote the script with the first evil jealous 'President's' favorite expert that tries to offer the alternative solution all the hero experts know would fail (or sometimes, the one hero expert knows would fail)? To think that legacy spawned 3/4 of every formula disaster script that followed. Someone should find the guy and give him/her the recognition due, along with the script writer that first wrote a plot with the 'one' expert in all the world that was needed to save the day.

The President's science advisor trying to be helpful but giving bad
    advice is almost certainly based on Jerome B. Wiesner, science
    advisor to Kennedy. He got into an argument with Von Braun
    about how Apollo should be done in a presentation by Von Braun
    to Kennedy and international representatives.

As I recall, the President's science advisor was a participant in
    "The Andromeda Strain", but didn't give any bad advice.

The first story in which only one person could save the day?
    Odysseus? Hercules? Prometheus? Gilgamesh? I think the
    author is probably deceased by now.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical View Post
    the script writer that first wrote a plot with the 'one' expert in all the world that was needed to save the day.
    I think we'd go back two thousand years for that one, and more

I can just imagine someone pitching a movie idea, and someone else jumping in with "OK, but where's the jealous hanger-oner/ex-love interest who tries to scuttle the mission?"

Re: Moon cracks in half, what would we do without THE expert?

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical View Post
    The movie isn't over but it was so formula, no need to see the end. It's the SciFi channel movie on tonight (sorry, didn't even bother to check the name) about an asteroid that splits the Moon and the US team has to send the shuttle up with some "meg" bomb to regenerate the Moon's magnetic field so the crack will seal itself instead of growing until the Moon breaks into 2 pieces and life on Earth is destroyed by the storms, ice age, and bombardment of Moon pieces. (Guess they couldn't decide which disaster to use so they used them all.)...
    What magnetic field?

How ironic that the SciFi Channel is giving science fiction a bad name.

With all of the glaring bad science in that movie, the thing that irked me the most was the apparent use of Artificial Gravity in the shuttle.

True, no one ever said a word about the Shuttle having artifical gravity, the viewer is left to assume that's was the reason why they were Walking Around in the shuttle while in Space.

I feel this movie to be beneath our notice beyond taking care to step over it like dog poo on the sidewalk.

In an attempt to say something good about this movie...

Nice to see that Dirk Benedict has appearently "beat" his cancer...

I also found Baldwin's assisant (Anna Silk) to be "easy" on the eyes.

Not to add insult to injury, but y'all got me curious....

Could the moon crack in half like that? How much force would it take? If it did in the real world, what would be the real-world consequences for Earth?

- Maha "moon over my cracky" Vailo

It is outside the Rouche radius so unless the pieces were blown off with some high velocity they would just fall back into the moon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Vailo View Post
    Not to add insult to injury, but y'all got me curious....

Could the moon crack in half like that? How much force would it take? If it did in the real world, what would be the real-world consequences for Earth?

- Maha "moon over my cracky" Vailo
    It would take one of these, about 200,000 KM long by 68,000 KM wide.

Like yazu said, there would be plenty of gravity and a crack like the one pictured in the movie just could not happen. If something with enough force to crack the Moon in half hit the Moon it would break apart long before such a crack would form as depicted in the movie. The object hitting it would have to be about the size of half the Moon (just my guess). But it could never be left with that crack. The crack even if it could occur, which it couldn't, would just collapse under its own gravity, no implosion expert or magnetic field needed.

The Moon itself is thought to have formed when a planet sized object hit the Earth 4 billion or so years ago. The debris eventually coalesced back into a reformed Earth and an orbiting Moon.

Flipping around channels I happened upon this dog somewhere in the middle (the shuttle was down in the crack), and watched it for about 5 minutes. The shuttle must have been outfitted with artificial gravity at the time it got nuclear engines. As near as I could tell, Spongebob is more scientifically accurate (and a lot funnier).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I planned to watch this to see what scientific inaccuracies there would be, and I was not disappointed. I stuck around partly for that, partly for Amy Price-Francis (I'm a sucker for attractive redheads) and partly because we all love watching a good train wreck.

It actually became campy fun, although that would probably upset the producers.

The background was that Amy's father had developed a theory that the moon has an iron core, and that an impactor could cause it to crack. Of course, the old man was right.

But, to prove the iron core theory, Anna Silk had to retrieve a piece of the meteor that struck Baltimore.

With meteors hitting all over earth, and the fate of humanity resting on proving the iron core hypothesis, it took a demolitions expert to catch on to the idea of checking one of them for iron content. All those brains at ASI (the equivalent of NASA in the movie) couldn't come up with that themselves.

Oh, for those who didn't stick around - and to add to the less-than-plausible errors - Amy's geeky assistant wound up with Anna.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Moon split in half

For a look at what would happen if the moon was cracked in half, chech out this excellent documentary.

( )

Quote Originally Posted by Matherly View Post
    For a look at what would happen if the moon was cracked in half, chech out this excellent documentary.
    "the uncredited co-creators of Scooby-Doo "?

hey- a new guy that has nothing to say. but he is good friends with Patrick Stewart.
    how marvelous..

First check the original literature...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    [edit]I stuck around partly for that, partly for Amy Price-Francis (I'm a sucker for attractive redheads)...
    Same here.

Since St. Paddy's Day is soon to be upon us, sure'in here's a fine rrredhead fer all of us to view. Quiet, man!

Funny how I've never (with one air-headed exception) dated blonds. The few brunettes I've gotten involved with invariably wound up putting red highlights in their hair!

It's prettier that way. (I dye mine a sort of burgundy--the ideal shade is that Claire Danes had in My So-Called Life.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's prettier that way. (I dye mine a sort of burgundy--the ideal shade is that Claire Danes had in My So-Called Life.)
    Ah, that's nice!

Don't worry, I won't ask for a photograph...

Meanwhile, here's another redhead I like: Gillian Anderson. Got to search to find her posing as Morticia.

Ah, Tish!

I don't have a photograph that I can post! (I don't own a scanner, and I don't have any digital photos of myself.) Still, when I do, it'll be on my Rotten Tomatoes journal.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Maksutov wrote:

Quiet, man!

Took me whole day to catch that one. Pilgrim.

You know you're in trouble when they have to call in a Baldwin.

Or when in your 'life story' ("Communion") your character is played by Christopher Walken.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Took me whole day to catch that one.
    I can remember my great uncle, who had played ball with Dizzy Dean, tearing up as he watched that movie on TV.

I think

A friend of my younger brother had a whole list of initials scored under the inside of his forearm. Turned out they were the initials of his favorite John Wayne characters, and he could rattle them off in that order in three seconds